Agnostic.com

32 5

Making new friends

So many join sites like this to make friends since it seems so hard to make them in the real world.

What are some ways you've been successful making new friends outside of the computer?

Crimson67 8 July 30

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

32 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

What are these "friends" you speak of and what implements are required to make them?

talking to strangers.

I have met many friends through Meetup groups, especially after my wife died and I needed to be around people. I live in a major city, this may be harder where you are.

Buying people stuff

I'm social, so l have no real problem, and playing music makes it easier, because people like to talk to the band.

I don’t. I don’t talk to people I don’t know. Makes it hard to make new friends

jab60 Level 6 July 30, 2018

I go to several Meetups, go to Karaoke every Friday night, and am involved in local Theatre. After awhile, people are used to seeing me and friendships begin.

When I was married, church and jazz clubs. Now meetup.com.

Hihi Level 6 July 30, 2018

At bars. No one gives a shit about religion past a few shots and plenty of beer.

I’d have to disagree based on experience, I’ve gotten into lively discussions about religion in bars before. In fact after a bit of social lubrication I’ve had people want to physically fight me because I disputed their beliefs.

@OtherPatrick I have had ppl wanting to knock the hell out of me but during social events with family and friends. Yes alcohol was involved.

@Lady-DebianLinux Weird how alcohol does that...

@OtherPatrick yes

I went to a wine social a couple of weeks ago and made new friends.

Have made friends from some social/dating sites, usually people that already live nearby or in my travels, and very few of them people I talk to or meet am I still in contact with

donnjb Level 4 July 30, 2018

I just go hang out and just try not being an asshole. Usually works pretty well. The golf course is a good place to meet up with people if you don't like golfing alone they can usually find a group for you.
Just doing things you are interested in and being open to talking with people

yoga and the gym 🙂

New friends that I have made are through work. I see them when they come into town to work with me. Some live here and when we're not busy we'll go have dinner and drinks!

I bet lots of people at art shows but I don't think I ever dated any.

Depends on how you define “Friend”

If you define “Friend" as someone you can share life experience:

1. Listen (and care about) what people say and respond with additional questions.

2. Introduce similar scenarios to topic of discussion.

3. Have a similar bank of interests/hobbies.

4 . Be kind and respectful, empathetic.

If you define “friend” as someone who will have your back regardless of circumstances, I have a few of those but most were established in grade school and live over a thousand mile away. Methodology for finding those “friends” Similar group including helping them out (pummel the bully that gave them a hard time, move etc.)

Where I live, most are theist. As I value those who value truth over faith (belief without evidence) I really don’t spend time searching for (friends) as most minds around here are not functioning correctly as they are reliant on superstition over reality.

@Crimson67 Oh, Where:

That's easy:

Work: educational organization so lots of communication to necessitate a good learning environment for students

YMCA (my work out place) Usually get to know a few who work there - have invited several over to my theatre, de-converted two employees and changed the viewpoint of many (they were Catholic but are now rational thinkers) Some have have helped me on several tasks.

That's about it. I don't drink and dislike smoke so bars would be a waste of time.

Last Tuesday I screened "The Greatest Showman." Nine people showed up. Most were Women my age or younger. After the movie the girls wanted to dance and take group photos. Although they all had a great time and were thankful, all were theists and I have limited tolerance theists so I would allow any of them into my "friend" circle.

I moved from Maine to Florida a little over a year ago. I don't meet people well not out going enough I guess. I work with some really nice people but its not usually a good idea to hang out with the people you work with and they all have partners. So only a few options bars of which i don't do alone or church LOL! Just trying to not be so lonely. I am starting to understand the huge draw to churchs, It is a usually safe environment to meet new people and you can feel like your a part of something.

Bridge playing and live jazz[not simultaneous]

There’s a humanist meet up group in Houston.

Through music is a winner if you are a musician.

Community events is about the best way..then there is mutual friends, social media, and thats about it

Pubs an alcohol mind you best way to make enemies to

weeman Level 7 July 30, 2018

Every so often I leave my computer and venture back into the 'real' world. I get reminded very quick why I left it and go back to my computer.

In pubs with live music.

Coldo Level 8 July 30, 2018

Meetup.com is a great way to make friends in your own community. Singles dances even if you don't like to dance. Social groups like the former Events and Adventures for Professionals-it will cost you but you'll have fun.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:143686
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.