Agnostic.com

53 2

Does religion equal goodness

Are people nicer who don't have religion in their lives

MichaelHagen 4 Aug 7

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

53 comments (26 - 50)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Yes. Without religion us heathens are just rapists and murderers.

Not to mention cannibals.

I’ve found the absence of religion makes people more authentic and more sympathetic to the hunan condition. They tend to be kinder and are more likely to perform random acts of kindness without expectations of reciprocation.

I addressed this question in my first post:

"How can you be a moral person and be an atheist?

Religion makes some people do some good deeds. Religion also makes people assholes.

Many Nazis were devout Catholics. Mafia members are Catholics.

Goodness? as in punishing people for whom they love? Turning away refugees? (Which our policies led to them becoming refugees!!!) Shaming people for their beliefs or non-beliefsl? Threatening those who do not act like you think they should with eternal hellfire? I do not see any atheists acting like that.........

Hell no!!! Lol

It should, but it doesnt

Same way democracy = people govern...only in theory

Religion equals evil delusion is a lot closer.

Maybe for people living in biblical times. One who can't live pass age 30. I am not wanting to live and regret the ancient pass. Nice is a little on the dumb side.

I live in the Bible Belt. I wouldn’t know the answer to this.

Actually, there seems to be an inverse relationship between religion and goodness. This is probably related to xtianity viewing people as being inherently evil while atheism makes no such assumption. This makes religious people feel that is OK to be bad, and that they can just be forgiven for it. The goal ox xtianity, everlasting life, comes from belief, not actions, after all.

No. Simply put religion cannot guarantee goodness, especially when it prides itself on dogma and in reality proves to be mostly subjective. Can religion supply some goodness - yes. Morality is and will remain subjective. Think of any rule that is considered moral, and I guarantee you can find an exception. Surely murder? What about self defense or the protection of others and there are no alternatives. Cannibalism has to be? Shipwreck surviver, others die. Adultery, no way for the so called prim and proper people? End of humanity and only a few people can breed. I'm sure there are better examples, but it comes out the same. No.

Absolutely not

Not at all.

Religious people are more self important, like they are ordained. They are not better but just more easily mislead to think they are because they believe they are saved.
Those without religion are much more intelligent and interesting. They are more analytical, not accepting anything on faith.

Heavens, no! Studies show that religious people are meaner than people who are nonreligious.

Link: Religious children are meaner than their secular counterparts, study finds [theguardian.com]

By the way, this website has a bit of a learning curve.

For members who are open to dating, certain thumbnails and profiles have a heart symbol on them with a percentage. This identifies which members are open to dating, and the percent shows approximately how compatible others are with them.

You can improve your website score in general by answering all the profile questions and writing a bio, which also earns website points, and helps other members get to know you.

Commenting on posts and writing your own posts earns more points. At level two you can private message people, and at level eight you get an agnostic T-shirt.

If you want to date, the website uses profile algorithms to find member matches, so the more details one includes, the better the match.

Many people prefer to see a written profile talking about interests, hobbies, and backgrounds that can be quickly perused to find others who are compatible with them.

In case you didn't know yet, to find members near you, click on the "Browse" button at the top of the page, then on "Members," and enter your preferred search parameters.
Click on the "Discuss" button, then "Nearby" to find members near you also.
Or click on the "About" button at the top left of the page to find links to FAQ or the website tutorial.
Points are now being given to level 3+ members who chat. You can see chat rooms on the group main page or at [agnostic.com].

People always try to justify their morality by the fact that they are religious. It is a commonly-held belief that the two are linked, but frankly, the two are not linked in any capacity.

Just reproduce, raise kids, teach them atheism, teach them how to reproduce with their desired partners. meanwhile, reproduce more, raise more kids, teach them atheism... repeat until you can not reproduce. lean back, and you will find out: who cares?

Not necessarily....works the same way the other way around

Most times if they are really nice on the inside, then they are nice if they have religion or not.

I think with or without religion there are many things that depend on your choice.

This is a trick question, right? Look at the frigging evidence!

If you believe them.

godef Level 7 Aug 7, 2018
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:150100
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.