Agnostic.com

32 9

Where have you found the most amazing regional food in the US?

Please share your food experiences so I know where to eat when I visit.

One of my favorite things to do, when I travel anywhere, is to explore the food culture specific to the place I'm traveling. "The best of..." will usually be the first thing I map out in preparation for my visit.

A few that made me say Oh Yes:

Mac N Cheese in Atlanta - Juke Joint

Deep Dish Pizza in Chicago - Pizza Uno

Seafood Chowder in Seattle - Pikes Place Chowder

A Mediterranean Brunch in NYC - Somewhere near Bleecker St and MacDougal (I'm sad that I can't remember the name of the place)

Enjoy

Stacey48 8 Aug 7

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

32 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I am what some would call an 'Adventurous' Eater. So, with that being said, I've traveled across America and found something unique and delicious everywhere I've gone. It's not that I don't have a discerning palette - far from it. I just find that, when visiting a region, if you want to learn the people, you should learn the food. So as I've reached out to know more about the people around me, it's also meant that I've eaten things I thought I'd never like, and expanded my worldview along with my waistline.

I think that, if you really open yourself to the experience, you will find something (if not 'several' somethings) to love anywhere you go. One is not superior to another - just different in their own ways.

What was that old saying - Infinite Diversity, in Infinite Combinations?
Seems like in always looking for the 'best', we tend to forget the relativity of that qualification, and miss out on things that are truly unique.

Some great north African food near Univ. Of Minnesota campus.

If you’re ever in Sourhern California, hands down best Mexican food ever.

Louisiana.

New Orleans...French Quarter. Amazing Creole and Cajun dishes.

My area of TN and western NC, Southwest VA has some ridiculously good BBQ places. Phil’s Dream Pit, Ridgewood, Braedens. And a couple really good greasy spoon sorta drive thru’s for burgers fries steaks n shakes: Purple Cow and Dairy Cup. and the fastest/freshest/cleanest fast food drive thru for burgers n hot dogs that has ever or will ever exist in our lifetimes, called “Pals” sprinkled all over the area. There’s not a lot unique in the way of fine dining experiences around here but the BBQ and some really good mom n pop country cookin joints around here are what you wanna look for.

@Stacey48 for sure let me know if you start to finalize any plans or need some more recommendations on stuff to do around here. It’s beautiful in the fall and there’s delicious apple butter for sale everywhere around then 🙂

@Stacey48 Yeah, I got several recommendations for cue places in central NC and down east if you make it here.

It's pretty hard to beat the Pacific side of the Pacific NW in Washington and Oregon for variety.

Queens NYC. Anything you would like!

Love the last pic!

The Bow Picker in Astoria, Oregon. Fish and Chips is all they do. Located one block up from the Maritime Museum.

New Orleans. lt seems like wherever l eat in New Orleans it is really good to great. The Southwestern cuisine of Northen NM.

Fresh seafood from Tony's Sanitary Seafood Market and Restaurant in Morehead City, NC. Some of the best and freshest seafood you will ever eat. The boats come in right next to the restaurant. The also have my favorite hush puppies. You won't be disappointed.

I've always been a whimp for spicy food, but ate fried chicken at Gus's in Memphis TN a couple years back, and even tho my mouth burned, I loved it and crave spicy foods now!!!

Nice pics of you and good food.

Hmmm. The Ciopinno in San Francisco (and the dim sum anywhere in chinatown); dipped Italian beef sandwich in Chicago (honest-to-dog chicago dogs, steak at Morton's); Bertha's Mussels in Baltimore (and the shrimp fra diavolo in little Italy there); stromboli in the Reading Market in Philly (Jim's cheesesteaks on South Street, too); La Bola green chile in Denver (Benny's number 5 special, deep fried calamari and ouzo at the Greek festival); eggs, grits, country ham, red-eye gravy and biscuits at Big Jim's here in Raleigh (too many good cue places to mention, goat curry at the Himalayan Range); Old Forge pizza and Coney Island Texas wieners in NEPA; scallop burgers on Emerald Isle off the NC coast; I gotta stop, I need a snack. 🤓

New York City, diverse culinary experiences that will take you all over the world in one city and New Orleans, Louisiana, Cajun cuisine that will blow your socks off.

I grew up in the New Orleans area, particularly Northlake (on the other side of Lake Ponchatrain). My mom was a Cajun. We had great food in the home. My favorite place to eat is Morton's, in Madisionville, LA. When there I have the fried softshell crab poboy and a cup of their signature seafood gumbo. I think the best food in south Louisiana is found in Henderson and Lafayette, the heartland of Cajun cuisine. Jambalaya, shrimp creole, crawfish etouffee, fried alligator tail, and bread pudding.

Until recently I was an Airbnb host in my home, just north of Boston, and visitors always asked about the best places to get seafood... I don't eat seafood myself, but I always sent them to some well known dives and diners close to the beach and they were NOT disappointed! 🙂 So if you're ever in the area, Brown's in Seabrook is the #1 favorite for steamers, fried clams, lobster rolls, and chowdah!

@Stacey48 lots of shellfish for sure... maybe it's a cold water Atlantic ocean thing? I've never really thought about it actually, ha... wonder if that's true.

Cincinnati chili - Skyline. Cincinnati chili is unlike any other chili. It is a Greek style meat sauce served over spaghetti noodles usually with cheese. If you haven't tried it you don't know what you're missing.

@Stacey48 Don't expect Tex Mex. It's really different, but really good. Ask for a bib. ?

Perogies in Pittsburgh. Polska Keilbasa in Pittsburgh.

Gumbo du Jour at Commander's Palace
New Orleans, Louisiana

Grits a Ya Ya at the Fish House in Pensacola.

@Stacey48 Wish I could take you 🙂

I can’t really join in as I have no real experience of American food, but my observation of the ones you listed above are that the first two are not regional American, but Italian. The fourth is obviously from Europe too, so apart from the Chowder none of them are American. I would like to hear about real American food.....something unique to the USA!

Source:

I

Okay, I just read on down below and have heard of a few that are obviously American in origin.....thanks!

Memphis Tennessee, downtown. There is a place not too far away from Beale St, it is like a local signature for ribs (cannot remember the name !!). Anyhow, several places around town. They love their ribs in Memphis.

Five Guys Hamburgers, Pot Bellies Sandwiches which are in Several Cities on the East Coast. Wo Hops which is on 17 Mott St. downnstairs in NYC. Katz's Kosher Deli on Canal Street in NYC

@PalacinkyPDX Been out of the City for 6 years since I retired. I know it was around the corner from the Orchard Street to see what was on sale.as I would make my Pilgrimage downtown.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:150402
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.