Agnostic.com

51 8

Religion is __________(finish the line)

We're non-believers, but I think we don't all see religion the same way. There are a lot of words I can fill in this blank.

Fiction.
Corrosive.
Nonsense.
Brainwashing.
Not my cuppa tea.

There are probably, many, many others.

I'm wondering, what word or phrase would you associate with religion?

silvereyes 8 Jan 14

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

51 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

ready for a laugh? I started clicking on the dotted line. hahahahaha and NOTHING's happening!?!?!? brain fart or senior moment.
Religion is the root of evil.
Not ALL even just a goodly portion.

At my last visit to Portland I noticed the light rail cars had signs for seats that said "Honored Citizens" instead of "seniors". I like to refer to this period as, my stage of life.

@JackPedigo Yeah, and if I hear 'Well, at your age . . . " my mouth is apt to say something inappropriate.

@silverotter11 What would you say??

@JackPedigo 'fuck off' but that usually does not go over well with doctors,etc. I like the "Honored Citizens". I just do not think it is neccessary for people in the medical profession to answer a question with "Well, at your age . . . . " The back story on that is an injury, and the first visit to the the doc (actually a PA) started off with that phrase.

Wasn't it Marx who said "a drug". Remember a lot of us were hooked on it at one time.

@silvereyes Very good. Opium is a drug, though but I knew I was close. Wern't you once an addict?

@silvereyes Than you are a rarity among us. My late partner was also never addicted. However, she had trouble understanding those of us who were.

Insidious: adjective

1. intended to entrap or beguile:
    an insidious plan.
  2. stealthily treacherous or deceitful:
    an insidious enemy.

3. operating or proceeding in an inconspicuous or seemingly harmless way but actually with grave effect:
    an insidious disease.

@silvereyes When I tried to get a definition from Google I got a lot of hits for that movie, so I went to dictionary.com. 😉

Mythology

@silvereyes yes your right

Absurd. Foolish. Nonsense. Fiction. Divisive. Irrational. Unreasonable. Wasteful. Parasitic. Superstition.

I wish I could respect the belief of others in this regard, but I don't. I see it as a symptom of a deeper disease, which is the lack of critical thinking. It see it on par, in many instances, with fake medicines sold by hucksters to the gullible. It is parasitic and wasteful. I think there is some degree to which it is positive, to the extent that it reflects reverence, an appreciation of the natural world, the aspirations to give to our fellow people and animals. Some people seem to take these and leave the harmful aside to a great degree. I respect that attitude a little bit, but I would respect more those who move one step further, to throw off silly superstition, yet retain the most noble aspects of philosophy that have been coopted by religion.

And the reason that one clings to that idea is the lack of critical thinking.

An anagram of reoiling

Dav87 Level 6 Jan 14, 2018

a pacifier for fearful ignorant people.

good one

...a way for people, lacking the ability to question everything, to see the world.

Gohan Level 7 Jan 14, 2018

Hi Gohan, I give you an example of an inability to question. When I was a little
boy, I questioned my religious brethren mother as to why she did not brighten herself up by wearing some lipstick, She replied, " If god had wanted me to have red lips, he would have given me red lips ! I replied " But mum you perm your hair, if god had wanted you to have curly hair he would have given you curly hair " My Mothers reply " DON"T BE SO REDICULOUS " !!

Fuckin' nuts!

Divisive. harmful to your health.

stifling.

Sadoi Level 7 Jan 14, 2018

Noigiler spelled backwards.

The opiate of the masses

the opiate of the sheeple . . .

Unnecessary

...the greatest scam ever perpetrated by humanity, on itself.

bull shit

...stupid, controlling, abusive, illogical, unscientific, false.

Control

out moded but not out lived.

a guise for prideful and willful ignorance.

a mythology with living believers

Religion is...fairytales to console people in their most devastating moments. It can also provide a sense of community and family depending on which faith is chosen. It is also a tool that can be used to control people, get rich, and exploit the weak. It has good and evil, light and dark, just like all of us. However, I believe nonbelievers possess higher overall intelligence, and those who question and are not easily influenced are the smartest.

almost done !

more times than not, abusive and unhealthy.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:15164
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.