Agnostic.com

12 25

The 7 Godly Sins

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

12 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Well said.

A book: "50 Voices of Disbelief - Why we are atheists" one writer talks about how we have it all wrong. Instead of a loving God maybe it is a joking, evil God. He says people excuse ugly as a way to heighten beauty but can't that be reversed? It was a very interesting suggestion. But now I have to leave to get my bandages changed. Remind me and I will provide more details. I have the book next to me and will look up the authors name.

That's a very interesting perspective. It reminds me of an idea that I have had for a long time which is how does God get all of the credit for everything that's good but none of the blame for anything that's bad? People of faith attribute everything that's bad to Satan but if God created everything then he also created the evil that would be associated with Satan so why doesn't he just destroy that evil so we don't have to deal with that in the world? I'm going to go with it's because he doesn't exist.

That question is what lead me to be an atheist. I had a miscarriage and I was a believer at the time. My friends all said “don’t blame god” and I didn’t. I Was comforted with my belief in god and would talk to god a lot. Then I had a baby and someone said “thank god” to me. This started me thinking. How can I thank god but not blame god? That was the beginning of the end for me.

couldn't have said it better.

Gilligan's Island. Ginger (Lust). Mr. Howell (Greed). The Professor (Pride). Mrs. Howell (Sloth). Mary Ann (Envy). Skipper (Wrath & Gluttony). Gilligan -- reason they stay on the island and wear a red shirt (the Devil). 🙂

I just added that to my board on pinterest. Thanks.

Hey, I'm down for a divine threeway — a holy ménage à trinity…

I like that. 🙂

Excellent.?

Coldo Level 8 Aug 9, 2018

It fits. 🙂

Betty Level 8 Aug 9, 2018

I saw a bumper sticker today that said :
Faith , Hope, Love !
Im thinkin " didnt that use to be " :
Faith , Hope and Charity ?
and according to Jeeebus , Charity was the greatest if these

Xians wanted to distance their greedy selves from that charity thing so , they over-ruled Jeebus ?

The KJV said charity; most of the newer translations all say love. Charity as a theological virtue is a very specific type of love where you love god above all else and love your neighbor as an extension of god’s love. The passage is from 1 Corinthians 13 written by Paul and translated from Greek. So the word would have been “agape” (pronounced ah-GAH-pay not like you’re gaping ?) which means either charity or love, or more accurately both: a charitable Love. I guess they just assumed the word love is broad enough that it includes the concept of charity and left it at that. Not to nerd out and play god’s advocate but they didn’t change it out of a desire to not be charitable; although that’s an independently true phenomenon, they only want to be charitable if you listen to their horseshit.

@Wurlitzer Yes. Sometimes it's just a translational thing but it makes you wonder if people are using it today to distance themselves from what is happening to the immigrants. I know a right wing Christian family that plainly says "Jesus would not approve or all the handouts." They must have a different bible maybe.

Charity begins at home. I am currently taking donations! Thank you for your generosity!!

Never though of it that way!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:151782
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.