Agnostic.com

15 2

Re: Prayer requests.....

Who else gets annoyed when someone asks you to pray for their kid to do well on a test or in a sporting event? Do you think your imaginary deity gives a crap about your GPA or batting average? I have to unfriend people on social media who do this because it sincerely makes me angry. Am I the only one?

Mbarron2518 3 Jan 14

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

15 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

As long as they're asking for themselves or their friends or relatives, I don't care. It's when they want to pray for me that I'd rather not.

They believe in it. What is prayer but asking for something to happen, a type of intention. When we focus on being well or other's being well, it puts that person in mind and we are communicating to ourselves and others that this is what we hope for. People may think to their god or Mary or some saint, and maybe in the course of doing so it propels them to think about ways to make something happen. Maybe just knowing people want you to be well helps you to feel better and try more. Maybe you will give him a tip or say something inspiring.You don't have to believe in the same God to be behind what this person is hoping for. I think very often people care more that you want well for them than that you ascribe to the same theology as they do.

@TommyWayne1975 I think its something people do more when they don't know how or something they have no control over.

A recent article about the the false missile attack on Hawaii quoted someone as saying he and his family all got into their bathtub and prayed. Everyone says their prayers saved them but forget about all the others who also prayed and didn't survive. One thing I wonder; if everyone says they can't wait to meet Jesus why do they pray to delay that meeting??

My late partner was dying of a brain tumor. She sent out the message no tears and no prayers (she was a lifelong atheist from Iran). We received a call from a friend in Canada who said he would pray for her. I told him she didn't want his prayers and found them insulting. He said it was just a matter of speech (so most of thee time they don't really mean it). He then circulated a card among our Canadian friends with a Thomas Kincade picture on the front and biblical quotes inside. Some ran with that and offered prayers. When she saw that (only her speech was affected) she pointed at me and wiggled her fingers meaning I was to do something which I do every chance I get. Thanks for letting me once again, vent.

No, I hate that crap

I haven't had anyone lately ask for prayers for something so superficial. But I do see requests for prayers because of illness or something similarly serious. I ignore the request per se. If it's someone in my own circle I will answer with some words of encouragement and/or say that s/he will be in my thoughts. Won't lie and won't pander.

@MrLizard Yeah, that happens occasionally too. If I DID pray, I'd be insulted. What if I'm praying for someone to get out of a deserved conviction? <g>

@MrLizard LOL yeah, I suppose, something like that. It gets dumber the more you think about it, no?

I also unfriend them, it really peeves me, and i think if I was a Christian, it would peeve me even more.

If you respond with Allah Ahkbar they tend to stop asking.....

If I respond, which I never do to the blanket posts, I say something like "Sending positive thoughts."

I just ignore them on FaceBook sense it seems to a general request sent out to all the "friends" and there are enough on there who will agree that I am not too worried anyone will miss mine. Yes it is annoying. I am still flabbergasted at otherwise intelligent people believing in a false god.

I usually just ignore it. most of my friends that would ask me are not close friends, and it would not bother me if they unfriend me over it, but most of them don't notice my non response.

I don't get annoyed - hardly worth it.

But I have told a couple that they're asking the wrong source ...

I have also received blanket Facebook posts asking for makeup advice. When that happens I point out the absurdity of asking me questions about eyeliner.

@GeorgeRocheleau hey, ya never know - you might want try it one day !

But not this day.

Something like this?

I never get mad about someone saying that about a relative. Emotions run very high when it comes to family and if I can give some parent about to have a total breakdown some comfort with a tiny lie I will. I was once with some family in a pediatric surgery unit and the parents there all looked like they were about to burst into tears out of pure fear. I won't judge anyone in that situation.

The rest of the requests for pray annoy me a bit but I generally ignore them.

Well... unfriending people on social media doesn't make me angry... but their prayer requests do...
😉

I get asked to pray on FB-I now ignore or ask what I can do to help. I have an old childhood friend who is going through Chemo and she set up a Caring Bridge page which makes all conversation personal. Way to go without asking for prayers.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:15225
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.