Agnostic.com

79 6

Do you use religious terms sprinkled throughout our language?

In the past, people confronted me with the supposition that if I use expressions which use religious references, I am not agnostic. I disagree, and wrote a FB post about it at the time.

Which of these expressions do you hesitate to use, assuming they fit your dialect? Which do you use by accident?

Bless you, after a sneeze
Bless you, to indicate good will
Jesus Christ, as an expression of frustration
Jesus fucking Christ, if you swear in other circumstances
God damn you
Dammit
Go to Hell
God knows, as in no one knows
Heaven on earth, or seventh heaven
Heavens, as an expression of surprise
Thank God, as an expression of relief
Oh my God, as expression of surprise

Are there any other phrases in the dialect you share, which you avoid or try to avoid?

LionMousePudding 6 Aug 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

79 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

More
Goddamn you to Hell
I pray to God, as desperate hope
I wish to God, as strong desire
Christian, as descriptive of moral behavior
God help me, as expression of hoping to control your behavior;
Hellish, as in awful

I don't avoid religious speak. Its nothing more than colloquial vernacular with nothing reverental involved. I will say, " my hand to Jesus/heaven/god" but I also say things like "Jesus fuck" "jumping jesus on a pgo stick", etc.

I use Jesus Christ, but you have to say it like this:

I use “god damn it” and “god fucking damn it” quite often. I also use “aww hell” and “hell yeah” a lot.

Especially when I'm on the golf course.........

Well, one thing is what I say and another thing what I meant. I use some of (those) out of habit but they don't mean much...... I don't say bless at all but I do use the occasional go to hell...hell yeah !!!

God damnt to fucking holy hell no, never.

'Jesus Christ on a Bicycle' is always a good one too!

i would use all and still no the god myth is just that anyone trying to tie me into some sort of belief would lose that argument

I use thoughts and prayers to rile people up. Does that count?

why should it? You're not really doing anything at all 🙂

It's hard nto to use them. They are a part of everyday vernacular and generally understood. I avoid it when i can, but it is so embedded into our language it is unavoidable to not use them completely.

I worked Construction in NYC for 25 years and can never remember hearing one. We cursed forever and frequently but never was the word ingrained into the sentiment.

Jesus Fucking Christ is a favorite.
As is holy shit.

That's divine masturbation ??

I say a lot of religious phrases despite not believing.

"Oh god" "for God's sake" "Jesus christ"

But I've always said gesundheit instead of bless you

depending on whether or not I am at work, I'll either say 'Oh, for Gods sake', or 'Oh, for fucks sake' as needed.

The thing is they are just words to us and have no meaning except as invective., just a way of letting off steam. We are not committing blasphemy as we are not believers....so keep right on!

Why does it matter? We have Thursday Thor's Day.

I use Holy Shit a lot.

Seriously, words are words. When/if I do say them, it's out of habit.

I do use "thank the Gods" just to piss of Christians since they insist there is only one true God.

Sometimes I say bless you when a person sneezes. I might say omg or God dammit when I read some bad news.

I use religous language in cussing - god damnit etc. I also find myself doing a lightweight “holy Toledo” or “damnation”. My maternal grandfather had a rather ... large vocabulary and I picked up much of it from him.

Ohub Level 7 Aug 10, 2018

I also use “amen” as a confirmation. I do try to replace those sayings with others, but it has been in grained in me since I was a child. It’s a habit, not religious.

saying 'Amen' is probably better than responding with 'Om Shiva'.

@DerekD Why?

My ex wife used to say "Oh my god oh my god oh my god" as she orgasmed, I thought she meant me.

????

I use them all as I choose.

Religion is no more owned by a theist than by an atheist. It is a part of our history and unfortunately present as well. It's just a bunch of made up stories and it's not my problem if some people don't know better than to believe them.

I've been known to toss in a bible reference from time to time. Ugh. It's a Southern thing I guess.

Carin Level 8 Aug 10, 2018

I use:
"Jesus Christ," as an expression of frustration or surprise
"God damn it"
"Oh my God" or "Holy shit," as an expression of surprise

Is "Dammit" actually a religious term? It doesn't seem like it has any religious connotation to it.

It is God who damns. Mortals do not have the power. So saying dammit still means God dammit. Of course it is blasphemous in the sense that one is telling God what to do!

@LionMousePudding I disagree. Anyone can "damn" anyone else. If you google the word, there's a "Christian belief" definition and another. Synonyms include condemn, criticize, attack, and denounce. People can do those things, not just a fake deity.

I also use "damn it" and "shit" interchangeably, so I'm just using it as the exclamation definition. haha

@joeymf86 I am only answering your question as to whether it is a religious term. Many or most of these phrases will have the vernacular usages in the dictionary

My dad cussed whenever he worked on a car. As I had kids, i realised I was apt to do the same thing so I created my own curse word to call cantankerous pieces of machines. Ubiquitous Whore. I found saying that at inanimate objects helped keep me from using any reference to god.

Whoa, better to use a term maligning women who have sex, than use play language? To me that is by far the wrong direction!

Gawd no! OK, sometimes, but with a lowercase g.

godef Level 7 Aug 10, 2018
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:152428
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.