Agnostic.com

58 6

Was becoming atheist difficult?

For me, it wasn't. My family has been in New York city for well over 100 years... Irish heritage. From an early age i didn't buy the story of Christ, let alone the catholic thing.

I remember asking my grandmother - if Jesus knew he was god, then why is any aspect of the story impressive?

The best she could do was to tell me "its just important to believe" which of course just doesn't last. But she never raised her voice or made me feel unaccepted in anyway. I was about 10 at the time, and never gave the god question much thought until i was 23 or so. I was irreligious but believed there must be something... then i met a woman who commented "unless god means a timeless, disembodied creator of the universe, then you're just playing word games". Ive been an atheist since.

Despite the religiosity of my mother, and her mother, i didnt get much guff for my questions. And i never felt in anyway disadvantaged for not believing.

I'm privileged to be an atheist in NYC... its really not a big deal in my experience.

Whenever the subject comes up, i freely state my disbelief. My biggest interest is how anyone can believe, and as far as ive been able to figure, its a combination of wish thinking, tradition, lack of consideration, or fear of death.

I'd enjoy hearing about other people's experiences.

Juggler67 6 Aug 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

58 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I do think growing up in NYC was helpful for me with this. Most of my friends were Catholic or Jewish but not really religious. It was a non issue. Now when I moved away, that's a different story.

For me it was a natural part of growing up. I was too busy agonising about girls to waste much energy worrying about my loss of religion.

Breaking away from childhood religious training is a very admirable thing, requiring intelligence, awareness, and courage.

The fact that many Christian Churches set forth a set of ridiculous and unbelievable lies and invoke fear and guilt to make you believe those lies—that in no way is proof one way or the other of the God question. There are some very deep and overwhelming mysteries concerning existence and the nature of reality.

In the face of these staggering mysteries, my response is total bewilderment. I do not presume to label myself.

I was brought up Catholic but I never really fell for the fairytale. Went through all the motions; catholic school, alter boy, confirmation, etc.. all without belief. My family was very accepting when I told them I was a non-believer.

I'm agnostic, but no. Tho stepping off into not belonging to my community since forever was weird. but i had a few A friends.

Not hard at All, I’m not from a religious family, we are all atheists.

Not at all. I was lucky though. The most attempted doctornation that I went through was at school. Every Wednesday we had to walk to church and do a bible school type situation. It was/is bullshit, but I made it through it. My family only went to church for weddings and funerals (and my baptism, fuckers), so it wasn't a transformation for me, it was a realization.

No, as a matter of fact the conversion was quite easy. No getting dressed up to go listen to some hypocrite drone on for an hour. No dunking involved. I get to sleep in every Sunday. (To be honest I was never all that much of a believer to begin with. I quit going to church at 16.)

Was easy for me. I was twelve and didn’t give a shit what others thought

I quit attending church decades ago out of disgust for their hypocrisy.

But the 2016 election woke me to knowing I'm agnostic..and I felt foolish and angry for being so unaware before after seeing how my rabid alt-right Christian friends post hate memes attacking minorities.

I defriended the lot of the Trumpites. Including relatives.

No, I'd been an atheist long before I ever spoke it out loud. It is not something that comes up all that often.

No. I'm very outspoken about it

The most difficult task was to rely on evidence instead of indoctrination. "What if the evangelists are correct, and I am doomed to suffer in Hell for eternity?"

What a dreadful god he would be if he judged us on our level of belief in him rather than on ourselves.

It was easy when I became an atheist after being a very devout Christian. I’ve always been doubting. I was raised as a Catholic all my life and left Catholicism at 13 and became non denominational. I questioned and became angry at an invisible entity many times when I still had faith in a sky daddy and I lost so many loved ones. The last straw was when my favorite cat ended up getting hit by a car and I found him at 5 am on my way to work. I renounced any god and have been super anti theist since.

It was easy when I became an atheist after being a very devout Christian. I’ve always been doubting. I was raised as a Catholic all my life and left Catholicism at 13 and became non denominational. I questioned and became angry at an invisible entity many times when I still had faith in a sky daddy and I lost so many loved ones. The last straw was when my favorite cat ended up getting hit by a car and I found him at 5 am on my way to work. I renounced any god and have been super anti theist since.

We are all born Atheist, we are trained at an early age to believe in the B.S. handed us by our parents as they were trained by theirs and so on. But even as a youngster I never believed it.
The real question should be 'was becoming religious difficult?' History has shown us, yes, it is very difficult, and often deadly.

Naah.. Learnt to speak and my words allegedly were, "I don't believe in all this God crap." Big disappointment to my family, fortunately. Some of us are just born not believing in all this God crap and that's just how it is. I truly feel sorry for people who have a weakness or predisposition towards religion. Who needs that monkey on your back? Life's hard enough as it is without religion's layer of nonsense and guilt wrapped around you.

I have never not been an atheist. Both my parents were, too, as far as I am aware. I never saw them ever doing or saying anything religious ever, anyway.

@RichieO - you know, I don’t think I would be. I was a rebel and was always rather, er, wayward in my youth. Also, we don‘t generally have the kind of religious zeal here that leads to brainwashing.

well I was taught night time prayers. Sometimes at the dinner table. The god is everywere was not believable. Then the Jesus died for our sins! And we are born in sin, then we are all sinners! all crap! Seeing religious people treat others like crap. All myths, legends, superstitions, and lies

I've always been one, don't know how to be any different. For me it's like asking me if becoming blue eyed was difficult, it's just the way I'm made 🙂

Not for me it wasn't. As soon as I understood what the word 'atheist' meant, I
knew I was one.
I was raised catholic, forced to attend mass every Sunday, forced to go through some of the sacraments, and forced to follow the dictates of the church.
That lasted until I was about 13, and figured out how to make it look like I'd been to mass, while I spent the collection money on breakfast at the Dunkin' Donuts across the street.
I'd always known everything I had been hearing seemed false. The older I got, the more I knew it was all bullshit. There are members of my family that didn't, and still don't, accept that I reject all gods and religion. I don't talk to them anymore.
I don't miss them either. They can take their judgment and shove it.

I've been completely comfortable embracing my natural default. I was born an atheist. We're ALL born atheists. Everything else has to be taught.
Btw, I've become a pretty staunch anti-theist as well. Seems only logical that
I would. All religion is dangerous and is a threat to humanity.

It was for the first year or so... The realization that I had been living a lie that was told to and pushed unto me by the people I loved and trusted most in the world was a huge upheaval. Shock turned to anger, which turned to disdain, which turned to pity, which turned to grief, which turned to acceptance... eventually. I'm still rather bitter about wasting so much time and energy and emotion forcing myself to believe such utter nonsense for so very long. I have no way of knowing this, but I feel I'd be much farther along in life if I had never been taught to believe in magic invisible creatures instead of being taught they were just fun (and some not so fun) ideas and nothing more.

@Juggler67 If he has already said that, it's too late. He's already an atheist but hasn't realized it yet. Buckle up. It's gonna be a bumpy ride. Bring a mop. It's gonna be a mess.

No, though I do find the slings and arrows annoying.

I never became an Atheist, I always was one. It was always obvious that the magical claims of theists were ridiculous.

I just stopped being a believer. I can't say it was difficult.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:152564
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.