Agnostic.com

6 4

QUESTION Why Religion is Outdated in the 21st Century - Lawrence Krauss - YouTube

I haven't been in the non-believer game for very long, so I'm still learning. One of the things I like about Lawrence Krauss (or at least in this particular clip) is that he doesn't bash religion. He isn't angry at it, like so many non-believers seem to be. Anyway, I enjoyed the clip, hope you do too.

BeeHappy 9 Jan 14

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Seems to me you have substituted god for science and jesus for technology. You are still religious, you know?

Is that a general statement or is that directed at me?

@BeeHappy not at you. Very general statement. It will apply only to those individuals that explain every failure with more testing and research need to be done until the right result is observed. But they behave no different than you jehova witness going door to door asking if you been served. In this case they may be dreaming going door to door asking if you been vaccinated. Less than 50% in america is vaccinated but they act as if it is 90% vaccinated. Not at you my friend.

Thanks for clarifying. Btw, your photo reminded me of the afro record. Lol My ex had one in the 70's I didn't know him then but saw pics....yeah... you still win. 😉

@BeeHappy Thank You, I remember the era like yesterday. wake up and first thing was get the pick. I wouldn't even look at a mirror until started taking shape. I had habit of walking with my head down against the wind to avoid messing it up. And I constantly was shaking my head. I was in the navy with no hair and still shaking my head for nearly 2 years. Back then we kept that hair clean. And there was always strangers with the... Can I touch it? It was a chick magnet. They tried years ago to bring afro back but the idiots didn't wanted to comb it and spending time on grooming it... so of course it failed to my delight. I gonna leave it for one more week, it is just telling everyone... "It was big, it was fluffy and it was spectacular", he, he, ha, he. I am always been that same guy. And to everyone of those years and era, it was amazingly great time to be young and... I salute you.

I disagree - the evidence is the peasants did not create religion. Religion was imposed on them by the theocracy of the greedy, rich, and powerful. Considering the forum, what is the purpose of this presentation to the greedy, rich, and powerful? So I looked into the World Economic Forum. Part of their Mission Statement sounds good "Our activities are shaped by a unique institutional culture founded on the stakeholder theory, which asserts that an organization is accountable to all parts of society. The institution carefully blends and balances the best of many kinds of organizations, from both the public and private sectors, international organizations and academic institutions. " But who knows. ALEC's mission statement sounds good too.

Source:
jeffy Level 7 Jan 15, 2018

Velvet glove on an iron fist of American Legislative Exchange Council is racist polluters Kock Bros personal lobbyists front taking away voting rights from millions in racist states that elected TrumpOLINI

Until they start indoctrination of common sense as a school requirement, the masses will need to have something to follow.

Defeatist elitist tripe. ...people are people not masses. ....schools are political institutions and Atheists have a duty to fight theocrats not resign and retreat from the victims following historic ERROR

I think Lawrence Krauss is the true inheritor of the Carl Sagan role model. (Some people say Neil Degrass Tyson, but I don't agree) Krauss is wonderful.

Religion is outdatedness. ..ever since the first shaman lied to all the women where babies come from

To me was outdated in the late 6th decade of the 20th century. Never to be updated I mind you.

@GypsyOfNewSpain are you highlighting spaceflight here? It started in 1961 with Yuri Gagarin's orbit of the earth.
[en.m.wikipedia.org]

@FrayedBear I was fine when primates were orbiting the earth. Dogs and primates were the first on space... Remember?

RWL - roared with laughter. Animals have been put into orbit over battlement walls to bring disease to besieged cities for millenia.
I do not accept that animals in orbit whether primate or canine had significant ability to change anything to do with imagined deities. In the context of this post therefore my brain only accepts the effect of Gagarin's historic journey. Incidentally I heard the live broadcast of both events. My life has been like that - witness via radio or tv to major events of historical significance. Mind you I've also missed a lot.🙂 hmmm? Self agrandisement!

@FrayedBear Imagine an alien craft capturing an orbiting craft with a dog or a primate... wouldn't the assumption be... this is it? this is an astronaut of this little planet. Wouldn't be? First time Mayas saw a spanish conquistador with armor in a horse they thought the horse was part of the spanish and the skin was of metal.

@FrayedBear Apollo 8 was a criminal theocrats mission planned months in advance to read bible verses xmas eve via radio to earth orbiting the moon. ....Dr Murray O'Hair filed a lawsuit to stop the lies but theocrat judges threw her out of court

@GypsyOfNewSpain it depends on whether the aliens came closer to observe conditions on the surface. Unlike the first Maya's first sighting of the conquistadors the aliens have the ability to confirm first observations. That aliens did not interfere with those flights is known. Also aliens are not god nor was Gagarin's flight that of a god. So I'm thick and unable to understand how this became a reason for updating any belief. That updating surely occurred the day after the concept of Christianity was codified by Romans wanting to control people through religion?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:15313
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.