Agnostic.com

15 1

What are or were some of your favorite children's or YA books?

In no particular order, some of mine are:

The Little Prince
The Velveteen Rabbit
Horton Hears a Who
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
Charlotte's Web
The Giving Tree
Harriet the Spy
Half Magic

bleurowz 8 Aug 11

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

15 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Did not have these just Snow White

When my age was in single digits I liked Tom Swift books, but then I graduated to Heinlein's juveniles. In 7th grade I was sick and read 32 Tom Swift books in one day.

The Lorax....

Danny Dunn books, Tom Swift stories.
Minn of the Mississippi by Holling C. Holling
Ray Bradbury, Robert Heinlein, Isaac Asimov.
This was all before the age of 10.

I grew up reading all the Nancy Drew mysteries and the Hardy Boys too.
I loved Trixie Belden books....and the Bobbsey Twins

Then there were the "Alfred Hitchcock presents the Three Investigators" series.....and I still have all of them.

Other than that, there were hundreds more by various authors.

Three favorites were:
The Witch Of BlackBird Pond
The Watching Eyes
Step on a Crack

My Side of the Mountain.
It's the story of a boy who runs away from NYC to his old family farm, now grown into forest. He learns to survive and thrive in the wild, with the help of the peregrine falcon he raises.

The Chronicles of Narnia.
The Little House on the Prairie book series (NOTHING like the silly TV series)
Harry Potter

The Tracker
True story of Tom Brown and his friend being trained by his friend's Apache grandfather since he was eight years old, to track anything, live and thrive on his own in the wild.

All the Robert A. Heinlein youth series, which I currently own on Kindle.
The James Herriot series, about a veterinarian working in the Yorkshire Dales.

I loved the Little House books. Definitely, NOTHING like the series. And it always bothered me that Pa Ingalls had such an awesome feathered haircut.

Love seeing everyone favorites.

A Wrinkle in Time

Charlie Higson's, The Enemy series, Paulo Bacigalupe's, Ship Breaker series and Michael Grant's, Gone series.

The Secret Garden and Matilda!

Hank the Cowdog was one of my favorite series, and so was the Redwall bools by Brian Jaques, but my all time favorite is the Tales of the Otori series. It's like Game of Thrones japan style.

Love your list, also love you forever, skippyjohn Jones, the Harry Potter series, the Eragon series, gosh, theres too many that I've lived but can't think of titles!!!

Catwings and Catwings Returns by Ursula Le Guin. Wish I had these as a kid.

As a kid a grade one teacher read us The Hobbit and the Narnia books, which I think is why I have always loved fantasy... Well that plus growing up watching Teddy Ruxpin.

I think as for YA books my current and all time favorites are the first 3 Earthsea books, that and Le Guin's other YA series called the Annals of the Western Shore (Gifts, Voices, and Powers).

One other I really loved as a kid was Would You Rather Be A Bullfrog? which I think was a Dr Seuss book

As a child I was in love with the OZ books begun by L. Frank Baum and finished by Ruth P Thompson. They were regarded as pure fantasy but supposedly had political messages relevant to the times, i.e. yellow brick road was thought to correspond to the "gold standard" which was being debated at the time, in the early 1900s.

DES32 Level 4 Aug 12, 2018

I've read a few of the Oz books. Very allegorical, and much darker than the MGM movie!

Lord of the rings, and the Hobbit.
Over the years I've re read those books many times over.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:153432
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.