Agnostic.com

17 5

Atheist Business Owner in The Bible Belt

I own a small computer company in a very religious town. As the saying goes there's a church on every street corner. I don't hide my atheism but I know if I made it an issue publicly I could lose a ton of my business. As most fellow heathens experience, people assume because you're a nice decent person you're an Christian. I feel like by not correcting them, I help perpetuate the myth that all nice people are Christian and the idea that they don't know any Atheist.

I'd like to hear other professionals experiences coming out. I do know it helps being honest to those of the faith on a one on one level. I took an extremely religious friend who hated Atheist to one who understands that we're not all the same. This man has defended me personally many times. Thank you for your time and thoughts.

AlbaTaylor 4 Aug 12

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

17 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I have a few customers that are religious and I don't tell them I'm an atheist. Most of my customers are left on the political spectrum and I don't tell them that I'm not.

As someone else pointed out, this is akin to taking a political position. I am a former commodities broker at the Chicago Board of Trade. I specialized in the grains so all my clients were farmers---who were probably Republican and very Christian. I made it a point to be politically neutral. I would never lie but it's pretty easy to talk around something a potential client might say. I even got really good at answering questions in a way that wasn't a lie but was vague. I liked the idea of making money off of people who didn't know they were dealing with an extremely liberal, hardcore atheist, artsy, big-city nerd type. TAKE THE MONEY!!!!

Right now small farmers are not enjoying the Trumpublican party especially the soy farmers....

Straight up fuck their feelings, they are what's wrong in the world

Maybe give that a little more thought. You don't know the American Bible Belt.

Straight up fuck their feelings, they are what's wrong in the world

well, i am not a business owner per se but i am a writer. if i submit a piece of writing to someone, if the writing isn't about religion, there is no way the recipient knows or should know i am an atheist unless they know me personally (i'm not shy about it). it's irrelevant to the business transaction.

g

You're religion, or lack there-of is none of their business. I wouldn't outright lie about it, as that could bite you in the ass (i.e., you are not considered honest and trustworthy), but just because someone assumes something about you, that's on them.

And as a side note, would the service you provide or they expected be any different if you were Jewish, Christian, Muslim, Satanist, Atheist? If no, then as far as your business goes...it doesn't matter.

Finally, just did a search for Harrison Arkansas on google, and the auto fill first choice was "Harrison Arkansas KKK Headquarters". In a town of "Christians" that would allow that kind of hate group to be headquartered...I wouldn't give a rats ass about what they thought, assumed, or believed. You're personal life and beliefs are just that, personal.

Are you a monopoly? Without customers you don't have a business, and if there's one way to lose customers, it's taking a political stance, which in your case, would be seen as anti-religious, if made public. There's really nothing about selling or fixing computers that requires a religious litmus test, in theory, of course.

Good point. What if you're a member of the Green party, and every election vote down party lines for only Green party candidate? Being in the south in a small town, I would put money on it that 80+% are Republicans. If it got out you were a tree hugging, spotted owl loving hippie, it would probably have the same effect. I would approach religion in the same way as your political views, none of their damn business.

@jondspen in good ole Wilkesboro NC it is better to be a tree hugging, spotted owl loving hippie than an agnostic/atheist. js.

@Heidi68 Sadly, it seems that it's better to be almost anything than an atheist--even a child molesting priest! 😟

@pnfullifidian isn't it sad that you are absolutely correct

There is no reason to advertise it. I work in a politically-charged job where I have to deal with Republicans and Democrats. If I advertised my political leanings, there’s a lot of folks I couldn’t work with effectively. Thrre’s nothing deceptive about it. It’s how you have to function in today’s polarized world. And let’s face it; religion is definitely politicized.

I'm a part owner of a business in New Orleans. I've had weird reactions with clients when I'm told them I was an atheist. I had one of my main point of contact tell me that she didn't believe I was really an atheist. It just something I say. I never lost a client over it... Yet

JeffB Level 6 Aug 13, 2018

I don't say anything unless someone says something first, and being the owner of a funeral home, a lot of people are having religious services, so I say nothing, nod, smile and try not to groan when they tell me the butterfly they saw in the garden was their dad/mom/son/ etc...

@Stevil haha, so right, it's NEVER a wasp or a spider lol

Religion is big part of most funerals. It must take a lot of patience for you to be in that proffession. Ive been to many funerals the past few years. I dread having to sit through the Preacher's surmon.This weekend at a funeral service I attended I couldnt bring myself to participate n the bow your head pray portion. It just makes me feel silly. I ended up sitting next to the Pastor at dinner. I was hoping he didnt bring up religion to me cause I didnt want things to get awkward. I didnt want to ruin the dinner. Luckily we talked about other things and religion didnt come up. I was so relieved...

I don't mix business and religion. That said, I live in the Bible Belt and keep a 2' tall Buddha statue and a 2' tall statue of Ganesha at my front door. It keeps the Mormons and JWs away. 🙂

I never brought mine up. I once worked in an abortion clinic when I was straight out of college and mentioned it offhandedly to my boss. I was shenned for the remaining year of the job.

I was shunned. Not shenned.

@Sydland First question: Is shenning better or worse than shunning? Secondly though, an atheist getting snubbed IN an abortion clinic? Am I the only one that is utterly confused by this?

@ghettophilosopher Oh no. I was shunned at a religiously run nursing home I worked in after the clinic.

@Sydland "I see," said the blind man to his deaf compatriot.

@ghettophilosopher i was also confused lol

I am not thoroughly convinced that there’s such a thing as a Bible Belt.

Really..?

@ghettophilosopher

Religion in the "Bible Belt"

[pewforum.org]

If you click on the above link you'll see a rating of various religious practices and values in the South. Under each table is a tab to click on and see how the various regions compare in religious practices. If you look you'll see that while the South is indeed more religious, the differences among the regions are not very great. There are certainly not enough differences to warrant labeling the South as the "bible belt". The South is a huge and diverse region, the most populous region, with every conceivable religion and religious opinion.

@WilliamFleming OK. I'm with you so far, but I'm not seeing the tabs under the tables that you're referring to. Possibly due to different platforms. Are you on a computer? I'm on a mobile device, so that might explain it.
As a sidenote, some of the sociopolitical trends graphed in the subsequent tables kind of surprised me, and this is as someone who'd lived in the South (Macon, GA) for more than a decade before moving back to the pseudo-South (Miami, FL) late last year.

@ghettophilosopher Under where it says”Belief in God among adults in the South” is a bar chart with blue bars, and under that is a tab for comparing regions. It says COMPARE: Belief in God by regions”. The other religious practices have similar tabs. I’m on my iPhone.

I was sort of surprised also

@WilliamFleming Ah! I got it. Having no reason to doubt the veracity of these demographics (as Pew is a rather reputable research and polling firm), I'm inclined to agree with you on a numerical level. But on an experiential level, I think there is a fundamental difference, religiously speaking, between the South and other regions of the country. You can see it in many ways, including the shear density of houses of worship, compared to other places (it's really apparent) and the way that religion (particularly Baptist and Evangelical) have a much more palpable influence on otherwise secular aspects of the larger community than you would tend to find outside of the South. I would have to disagree with you, in that referring to the South as the Bible Belt is by no means a stretch.

@WilliamFleming But I admit to being more than a little fascinated by these Pew results. Makes me want to dive deeper and see what I learn. So yeah, thanks for that.

It's a book, not a belt.

Very Good question! I don't know. I'm very untrusting of them to even talk much with most Christians, been burned by their hatred too many times. Looking foreword to seeing some of your replies.

I once posted a small Zombie Jesus poster in my cubicle, and 2 days later my Evangelical bosses boss canceled my project and laid me off. I avoid religion at work.

You got a big old helping of "Christian Love"

Absolutely, @SkotlandSkye.

I never see any reason to correct the religious They will never believe you.

Nobody's business but your own. I'm sure your not going to go around with an AK 47 on your shoulder as promotional advertising. ROR Rots of Rocks.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:153580
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.