Agnostic.com

39 4

Still friends with church people?

Have any of you been able to maintain a close friendship with anyone who is still actively a part of your former religion/church?

YunieNunes 4 Aug 12

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

39 comments (26 - 39)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

No

Yeah, I do have some friends who are church-goers. I might have more than I think, cuz I never ask that question of the newer friends I make, or I might also have more atheists with me than I realize, I can't say.

I don’t think I know anyone who goes to church except relatives and thank goodness they live in other states.

Friendly, yes. I have few friends and none are, or have been, believers.

Yes, I'm surrounded by Evangelicals at my work place, I'm friends with some, we hardly talk about religion at work, however it does come up every once in a while and I walk away or ignore them. Some of them say is so ridiculous I just can't relate.

Pareto's rule gets applied to everything with me. 20% of the people I know give me 80% of my social headaches in life. I find out what is consistent between those people and remove it from my life. Oddly enough, it isn't religiosity that is the common factor. It's a lack of respect for my autonomy. Sometimes, those people are religious - sometimes not.

If they like me it's out of pity now

I wouldn't say I am super close but I have stayed in touch with 2 people from back in my fundie evangelical days. They are just 2 beautiful people we had kids at the same, so we have a bit of a connection.

Yes. I have family and long-time friends who are active members of a church. I haven't made any religious new friends in quite some time.

Noooooo!!!!!

Have a friend I've known for 65 years. He knows about my disbelief. He used to visit wearing Jesus tee shirts. Told him I didn't like his proselitizing and asked him to not wear the god shirts when he comes to visit.. He obliged and we're still friends.

ugly Level 7 Aug 16, 2018

Yes, I guess I have, however, the relationships have become much more shallow.

Not unexpected, given that while we were going through our transition away from a religion-focused worldview we retreated from church attendance for a year and a half before we started talking (somewhat) openly about our doubts and lack of beliefs, but we have attempted to reconnect with some former close church friends a couple of times and usually get the “we’re busy then but let’s see if we can try again soon” treatment. Frustrating but ultimately it’s their choice, and they have been trained to try to avoid spending too much time with unbelievers so their beliefs aren’t challenged too much.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:153943
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.