Agnostic.com

38 7

Are they waiting for an attack?

Do you ever feel like coworkers are constantly itching to defend their faith against you, even though you never bring it up, and there are 20 of them and only one of you?

PaigeM 6 Aug 14

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

38 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Nobody talks about religion in my workplace.

Ditto

I live and work on a christian/Republican environment. I told myself that I won't discuss religion, politics and sports.
It is hard sometimes, especially when they pray before a group meal or praise supernatural for ordinary things.

They will defend any false-flag attack used to divert our attention. we are in deep poo.

No (but I realize I might be in the minority). There's only 25 people at my job and they all know where I stand. Circa ten years ago there were a couple people who tried to "enlighten" me but I shut the door pretty hard by saying if your god does exist, he's kind of a dick, and I want nothing to do with him/it 🙂

I don't think my co workers would care if I told them im an atheist.

Don't ask. Don't tell in Texas.

It's not a fair fight..20 Christians against 1 Athiest.
I would tell them to go find another 20..and tell the 40 of them they are not living the dream..they living in a fairytale..?

All my co-workers are athiest or non-religious.

Do you work for agnostic.com?

Lucky you!

Constantly....but then, I teach at a Jewish high school!

Never

All day, every day.

I think almost all believers have doubts which the try to stuff deep down inside them where they won't be bothered by them. Then, when an atheist comes along, they re afraid of their own doubts, so the go on the attack to try to keep them stuffed deep down. They re trying to keep themselves convinced as much even more than they re tryignto convince others.

In short, if they give in to their doubts, then everything they based their entire lives on will dissolve and they will geel vulnerable, because they could no longer be a part of their religious group and they are more afraid of being alone than they are of anything else.

Thays exactlt what i think is the case with a lot of church going people ive mainly dealt with people who are christian who are right there with this post

I work in a law firm in the south with a LOT of people. Religion doesn't come up in conversations. Not even when a group of us goes out to lunch.

Pick your battles, don't be drawn into one of their choosing.

Best defense...

If anyone brings it up, just say "Religion is not an appropriate topic for a place of business. Thank you."

I don’t talk about religion with my co-workers and if they do I just respond with platitudes. Don’t engage with them. Look for commonalities, not differences, that will help your situation.

I don’t talk about religion with my co-workers and if they do I just respond with platitudes. Don’t engage with them. Look for commonalities, not differences, that will help your situation.

No, I don't.

In my case those attacks come mostly from family.

Not really... I am outnumbered big time, no doubt about it. However, since I don't really care what they believe, I don't get confrontational with them. Even if they are mislead into thinking I am one of them then that's fine with me too

If your lack of faith is known to them then sure there can be a (sometimes not-so-subtle) undercurrent of distrust and otherization -- especially if there's nothing else for common cause to coalesce around, like a good company culture. If you're able to do so with minimal to no expectations, just keep being kind and welcoming to them and let them sit with the responsibility for being asshats, if they continue to choose that.

I don't have that problem, but then again I possess The Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch.
Just kidding ?

no body knows I am agnostic, so I don't feel attacked..

No one in their right mind wants to set off the fuzzy gimp with a penchant for Heavy Metal.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:154984
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.