Agnostic.com

36 5

What is good for your soul?

While I don't believe we have a metaphysical soul that ascends or descends to a mystical place after we die, I do feel like there are certain that that always lift me up, and a few that unfailingly get me down; basically things that resonate with my core being.

So, what is good for your soul?

From a favorite Oingo Boingo song:

'Have you ever been in love with someone you hardly knew, whereas everytime you closed your eyes you saw this person come alive, it kept you wide awake at night, you felt like you were burning up, it made you want to scream, and then you passed out in a dream. Just once or twice is good for your soul.'

BoingoOingo42 7 Aug 15

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

36 comments (26 - 36)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Good friends, music I like, and sex with someone I care about. The beautiful bits of nature, good design, people trying to improve on things generally and people being kind from a realistic standpoint. Being educated about something interesting to me by someone patient and the ability to be patient when being confronted by someone that is potentially infuriating lols. Knowing my weaknesses and being able to work around them is good for my soul too.

"Soul" in the vain of who I am on a very personal level, desires, fears, is rejuvenated by creative avocation activity. At this moment, "piecing" a quilt.

I agree that we don't really have souls but it is hard to express the idea in any other way. Being by the sea lifts my spirits like nothing else, and being far from the sea, as I am in my everyday life, really pulls me down. The works of J S Bach and anything beautiful, whether it is natural or made by human beings lifts mt spirits, too.

No soul but I still follow a path that warms my being.

A fellow will remember a lot of things you wouldn't think he'd remember. You take me. One day, back in 1896, I was crossing over to Jersey on the ferry, and as we pulled out, there was another ferry pulling in, and on it there was a girl waiting to get off. A white dress she had on. She was carrying a white parasol. I only saw her for one second. She didn't see me at all, but I'll bet a month hasn't gone by since that I haven't thought of that girl.

What soul?

What is good to me, and hopefully for me, is peace of mind, contentment, and -- where it can be had -- the confidence and loyalty I feel I've earned from others. By which I mean, people assume the best of me rather than the worst, even (maybe, especially) when their buttons are inadvertently pushed.

Depends on what you claim is a soul! To me it is part of morals, and humanity. Being a good person no matter the incident. No when you die it dies too.

Anything that is instantly gratifying.......for me that is either music or food related. Listening to Morten Harket’s so, so sexy voice or eating a bowl of ice cream with chocolate sauce will donit every time. Do both together .....orgasmic!

Off roading & skydiving

What people in the Western Judeo/Christian tradition call "soul," is called "mind" in the Eastern spiritual traditions. We have a mind that creates feelings, thoughts, concepts. The mind essentially experiences all phenomena as either pleasant, unpleasant, or neutral.

What is good for my basic being are a number of things: reflection, analysis and synthesis of information, the act of creating something of real value for others, doing something to help or be kind to others, emotional closeness with others.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:155893
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.