Agnostic.com

16 4

Why do so many on this site use "convert"?

Why do so many on this site use the word "convert" rather than deconvert when referencing their departure from religious beliefs? Is this due to their religious upbringing?Regardless, which word should we use to describe leaving religious beliefs?

• 14 votes
  • 3 votes
Gringo6 4 Jan 16

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

16 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Born again suits us atheist' more... Dont you think?

Enlightenment

I had never been religious in my life. I attended religious school, did religious rituals but I was never in.

I don't think I have used the term convert to refer to my move to atheism. Deprogramming is more suitable.

Hi Ad4hubby,deprogramming sounds a much more logical word,especially as christians have been programming children into their beliefs.

I guess I never had to. I was born a skeptic and I remained that. So I've never had to do either.

Because most of us don't have a technical grasp of English, yet are able to get the point across

"Deconvert" is a word that tells its own story without a lot of explanation. I like that.

I think convert is more generally used to indicate a person has gone from one belief set to another

I am a recent convert to atheism. I like it as a noun.

Awaken

Ewket Level 4 Jan 16, 2018

Convert though in our language may be the most correct term. I prefer deconvert. The reason for this is the term convert used in the religious context suggest that one is changing from one religion to another. A Religious person, such as I was"discovered" I did not believe. I did not change religions, I dumped the mythology all together.
I don't use any similar term just for this reason. I simply state that I accepted that I did not believe in a god, or something to that effect.
I do not wish to perpetuate the misunderstanding that atheism is "just another religion.

Convert just means to change, so whatever you are now, you converted to that. Deconvert isn't a word, so... You would convert to something and convert back to the original thing.

Convert definition: A person who has been persuaded to change their religios faith or other beliefs. An adaptation suitable for a new purpose.
Change

Which means converting from Christianity to atheism is a correct term to be used.
Deconvert its meaningless, Reconvert means going back to the original form, belief,.....

deconvert makes my brain itch

@Gringo6 changing is inevitable in all languages. If something sounds logic to you, you can start using it. If others will find it logic, they will start using it. If not.... you can insist. I do not condemn any kind of evolution, but because language is our only way to communicate has to make sense and the meaning of words to be universally accepted.

@Gringo6 Well, you already have the word reconvert if you want to signify returning to an original state, and if you changed to another religion entirely, you would again just use convert. Words are generally created when they fill a void in our ability to accurately convey meaning through language. I just don't see a void here.

@Gringo6 DEconvert sounds more like: I’m catholic and I deconvert from or of Catholicism. I do not specify to what else I convert if, just that I’m. Not catholic anymore. DEconvert myself .,, ????

Deconvert makes more sense.

you mean like "de-plane?" but we don't de-boat or de-car or de-elephant 🙂

I think most of us are comfortable with the idea that change, transformation and conversion can go in different directions.

Hell if I know. I don't use it.

@AMGT Thanks! Yours doesn't suck either! 😉

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:15785
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.