Agnostic.com

35 5

Is there such a thing as "cultural theft"?

If you steal something from me, you infringe on my possibility to use my property as I wish. If you steal my car, I can no longer use it. If you steal my intellectual property, for example the song I created, I can no longer make money with that song as I did before.

Most examples of "cultural theft" are just examples of cultural transfer, one culture adopts ideas or practices some other people invented. Did the Maori invent tattoos? Or maybe did their ancestors adopt it from some neighbor tribe long ago? - - When we in the West adopt tattoos or a music style Black people created, the possibility of those who used it before is not infringed. The Maori can still practice their tradition like they did. Black people could still play the Blues like they did, even after white musicians started to adopt this kind of music.

The whole concept that a culture "owns" some idea is rubbish. Do we Germans "own" our words? Did Americans, when they adopted German words like "kindergarten" or "zeitgeist" steal our property? Does not make sense to me.

Matias 8 Aug 22

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

35 comments (26 - 35)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I watched a documentary once about Native Americans feeling that the New Age community in the South West US were stealing their culture through their use of various Native American ideas and concepts. The New Age individuals saw their use of these ideas as honoring and continuing the tradition of the Native Americans and for the most part were hurt and confused about the reaction from the Native Americans. I erred more on the side of the Native Americans in that they had centuries of tradition behind them were as the New Age community used the these ideas and practices as personal tools for seeking some kind of enlightenment or for personal profit through the publication of books or sale of crystals, dream catchers etc. Cultural theft I think like most of human terminology is a tricky thing and really irrelevant unless concrete proof existence of harm can be proven. Interesting video of an African American woman accusing a white man of cultural theft for wearing dread locks. I find it silly as dreads apparantly originated in India or rather it is their first appearance in art etc. [sfgate.com]

Quarm Level 6 Aug 25, 2018

Many native ceremonies have been appropriated by non-natives when they are not fully understood . Pi have seen it often, where they start teaching the ways when they have no clue . Also, we as a people arw just beginning to heal ourselves, and until 1978 i believe we weee not able to legally practice our ceremonies . So there are reasons have a peaceful night

I've always said the best ideas are those stolen and are in some way reappropriated but I see your point. I feel like there is a point where culture is kind of stolen from many though, as in the case of dying languages, Native America, or through the Harlem renaissance to name just a smidgen. I find though that culture is most often stolen through the division and restructuring of the spaces in which they developed by outside interests.

I guess I could have put it more clearly that the displacement of communities in which culture developed often takes away the ability to practice it in any meaningful fashion. When people are driven from the living places, places of congregation and socialization they relied upon to really be effectively practiced by things like increased living costs, gentrification, etc.

No. There is learning from other cultures. There is also cultural subversion.

By the way, @Matias, I think you meant 'cultural appropriation,' as opposed to 'theft' ... am I right?

@Matias Does a culture own its elements? No. Do nations own their artifacts (statuary, jewelry, art work, etc.)? It depends. Each case is unique.

@PalacinkyPDX I've seen lots of young people of all colors and ethnicities who've adorned themselves with Maori style tattoos. They appreciate the artistry of the designs, and have chosen to adopt variations of their own, which is entirely appropriate, as opposed to appropriation.

The appropriation is when thee is profit involved.
Let's say that you have a community (in general not from the average upper class ethnicity) that developed an interesting way to make shoes, it is beautiful, comfortable and very characteristic.
Then people start liking it, tourists buy it, you eve teach people how to make it.
Then Some big company industrialize the process and start making money using your cultural piece, without giving anything back to the community and without even telling about the origin of it, basically taking just the design and even using people from other ethnicity on the adds.
So they simple washed your people out of this cultural piece, this is theft/appropriation.

American wine makers can use the champagne method of making wine, but they can't call it Champagne. Somewhat similar Italian Parmesan cheese must be from Italy based on EU law. Countries outside the EU can and do use the name as if it is a generic name for this type of cheese.

cava Level 7 Aug 22, 2018

It seems to me a distinction should be made between cultural appropriation--the topic of this post--and the regional branding and trademark infringement of which you speak. Just as in science and technology, naming rights go to the originators. Speaking of the bubbly, in an effort to distinguish themselves, the Italians have Proseco and the Spaniards, Cava, but we here in California can't seem to come up with anything more original than 'sparkling wine.' 😉

Sis the Christianity steal winter solstice, vernal equinox, a flood story, pagan holidays, and many other cultural ideas? Yes.

I have mixed feeling on this, but for the most part, I think that we have become so homogenized as human beings, that much of what people are now calling cultural appropriation is really just likes and preferences. True, some times the imagery and customs of other people are latched onto and misused, in order to further subjugate or humiliate - but I do not believe that is usually the case.

Sometimes, you just find things that click with your heart, even though you have no previous link to them. And there is no shame in that at all.

I rather hope there isn't but there are so many court cases at the moment about ownership of 'stuff' even individual words in songs etc. it seems weird. I'd love it if we just delighted each other with performances of all different kinds rather than everything being about money/royalties and all that .

There are a lot of instances were archeological sites were ripped off and antiques were shipped to private collections and museums in foreign countries , never to be seen by the natives again . And yes, some put great store in the histories that were stolen from them , particularly where their cultures and languages were supressed by invaders who dominated the original natives .

I think maybe you misunderstand what Marius meant. What you describe is plainly wrong and is plunder and theft Artefacts which have stolen should returned to where they belong. The idea that for instance, and this is an actual incident I heard of....that someone was told they should not wear a native Indian Headdress because they were not a native Indian. It was to advertise something I believe. Apparently that is construed as cultural appropriation!

@Marionville I've seen as well , where whites were drumming on Indian drums and doing what they felt was an Indian dance , but the native Indians took it to be an insult . As a nation we have a LOT to apologize to our native Indians for . Although to the best of my knowledge , the vast majority of non Indians have never had anything to personally do in direct contact with them . I wonder how we'd feel , if the shoe was on the other foot ?

@Cast1es I think it depends on the contex. I understand, especially when there is perhaps a profit motive in the appropriation. In some cases though it can be intended as a compliment to use something we admire from another culture. My husband bought me a beautiful Chinese cheongsam in turquoise silk and I wore it when I was in Hong Kong at Chinese New Year celbrations and all the Chinese ladies present came and bowed to me and said how pleased they were that I had honoured them by wearing their traditional dress.

@Marionville That is beautiful !

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:161362
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.