Agnostic.com

25 0

Piercings? Yea or Nay?

I saw a young lady the other day who had multiple piercings on her face. I’m not talking just earrings. Though she did have 6 in each ear. I’m talking a nose ring, tongue, a bar between the eyebrows, one in each cheek, and two in her lip. I had a LOT of questions going through my head, but instead just went on with my business.

I don’t mind a few piercings on someone, but this seemed excessive to me. For others that may be just fine. Thoughts?

• 35 votes
  • 17 votes
  • 6 votes
  • 3 votes
SteveB 7 Jan 18

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

25 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

To each their own! There are some body mods I don't understand or find attractive, but I'm not going to judge that person. I just shrug and live my life.

@SteveB I assumed you weren't judging.

I only control me.

I think it's up to the individual. It's really not my body so it's not my business. If I was going to date them that may be a different story however it just depends on how it looks on them.

I wouldn't do it to my body, but what someone else chooses is on them (literally).

Agreed. I don't care for it. I have no tattoos or piercings.

its personal choice like tattoos or make up

Why would it be your or anyone's business if somebody else has a few or lots of piercings? I do not want them myself, but if somebody else fancies to have a kilo of them stuck into their skin, be my guest.
Why would I mind about anything other (adult) people do with regard to their looks? I do not get it, at all.

For me they are personal preference. Have some piercings, and several tattoos. Consider the tattoos to be body art.

Personally not into piercings or tattoos. Different strokes for different folks. Oh pierced ears are fine with gals or guys. My exes had them.

I had ears pierced as a new born, is the practice in my country. So is okay two earrings or nose can be cute but that's it... To many nope!

It's a personal choice. I personally don't find it all that appealing, but they're not doing it for me, and that's important to remember. That being said, I do think that, as an employer, I should have some say as to how much I think is appropriate based on my customer base.

I myself have both ears, plus a cartilage piercing in one ear and an industrial through the other, eyebrow, lip, tongue, and nipples.

The 6 in each ear thing was never for me. And personally, i prefer non-symmetric piercings- not a huge fan of labret or septum rings.

In a date/significant other? Sure. I understand piercings aren't for everyone, so i'm cool with someone having them, or having none at all.

I have piercings (quite a few) and am heavily tattooed. Tbh I don't think about it much except when I see discussions like this.
I think I had my first piercing around age 13 and probably got my first tattoo at 16 -im 58 now so I've had a while to get used to them.
Attitudes to tattoos and peircings have changed dramatically during my lifetime and they are much more socially acceptable now.
I still like them -which is lucky 🙂

I like them - though like any other fashion statement, they don't necessarily look great, or work for everyone. But that's their business.

I personally have 4 earrings and a nose ring. I pierced my own naval a while back, but wasn't happy with the ring getting caught up in waistbands - so let the hole close up...

I used to have around 15 piercings (none in my ears), but have removed all of them when I had cardiac bypass surgery.

My vote was, "Yes, If there aren't too many", but that is just my personal preference/opinion. Otherwise, whatever floats your boat. It's not for me to say what another does with their own bodies. I find certain piercings distracting, for example, on one of the "science" YT sites I visit one of the "hosts" is a young woman with a nose piercing/hoop. It keeps reminding me of someone with a "runny" nose, so tends to distract me. Now I realize that is on me, but the fact remains, I am distracted.

To each their own, do whatever the hell you want.
However, I will caution women that those nipples rings/barbells are going to have to be removed when it's time to start getting mammograms. They don't always go back in, either.

Thanks for that, I was considering that.

Personally all I have pierced is my ears. Other people can do what they like, but I find too many piercings distracting in a business setting. Just like I find a 9-inch mustache or skintight clothing distracting when I want to interact with someone's mind.

@SteveB LOL definitely either way. Wax makes it worse.

The only piercing that bothers me in the tongue because I'm a speech pathologist and it distorts speech.

Metal face: meh.
Metal-free: meh.

I had 3 in each ear, eyebrow, bellybutton, tongue, and labre. Now I have none.

I don't care either way. Same for tatts.

Once you get through a minute or two of oohing gnd aahing, it's on to more important things.

It depends on a person's personal taste. I have one piercing in each ear. If the craze had been in before my belly rounded I may have pierced my belly-button. I like the tiny jewels on a woman's nose. Men, I have no problem with ears most of the time. I personally prefer piercings and jewels on the face to be understated rather than bold, but that is my own taste. If someone feels differently then that is up to them. I'm not going to reject them because of it, but I may not feel as much attraction to them physically if it's the 1st thing I see before I see them.

Donna Level 6 Jan 20, 2018

Makes no difference to me what other people do with their own face.

It's entirely up to them what they want to do with their body. I have a tattoo and will be getting about four more, so I understand them somewhat. As for me dating someone with tons of tattoos or tons of piercings, it isn't that attractive to me. If it's a few then I'm fine with it and it can be sexy. If most of their body is covered then it's not for me. I also don't like piercings when it comes to sexual acts. Tongue rings do nothing for me and I actually like it better without. I was with a girl once with nipple piercings and they got in the way. I must have a really talented tongue because the bar came loose and we lost it.....unless I swallowed it lol

I think it's kinda gross, just because I'v had a few and they always end up hurting or getting infected after a while. They make me think of germs and pus. I think they look cool if there aren't too many and they are clean and healthy looking.
I have mixed feelings about the big hole "plug" type earrings. I like how they look but think it might get weird when they get older and their skin isn't all young and elasticy. In 50 years there will be a whole lot of old people with saggy stretched out earlobes.

MsAl Level 8 Jan 25, 2018

I have both ears done (conventional earlobe piercings) and a guiche (perineum) ring. It's up to the individual what they do with their own body, but if I'm brutally honest, I see no appeal to facial piercings or earlobe stretching.

I remember my ex having a stud in her nose at one point. Snot used to bubble out of it when she had a cold.

I think carlin said self mutilation is a great way to show self confidence. maybe it wasnt that. I think they are pointless either way.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:16276
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.