Agnostic.com

28 6

Are we all basically selfish apes?

There is a strong tradition among evolutionary biologists and psychologists that Homo sapiens is a species that is not only capable of acting on hidden selfish motives, they claim that we’re designed to do it. According to this theory, our brains are built to act in our self-interest while at the same time trying hard not to appear selfish in front of other people.

While there can be no doubt that humans are acting selfishly often enough, I do not think that selfishness is the human default. There is some evidence that our brains are 'social brains' but not primarily Machiavellian brains.
Here is my evidence against the theory that H. sapiens is basically another selfish ape:

Exhibit A: Moral emotions.
In a society of Machiavellian apes like chimps the last thing that would evolve are emotions like shame, guilt, remorse. What would be expected to evolve is a range of submissive gestures (as we can observe with chimps). If I have angered alpha and alpha is mad at me, it is useful to signal „it wasn't meant to offend you! I'm your humble servant! Please don't bite!“ But it would be useless or even harmful to actually FEEL shame or remorse, because such feelings are an obstacle to scheming and cunning, even when nobody is watching. But natural selection favored the evolution of these moral emotions.

Exhibit B: The white sclera of the human eye.
All other apes have a dark sclera with makes it diffcult for others to guess what an individual is looking at, which is quite useful when a subordinate male is leering at the juicy posterior of a female that 'belongs' to alpha..... If humans were just smart and scheming, cunning.. in a word: Machiavellian apes, the last thing natural selection would have favored is an eye that gives away the intention of an individual. The white sclera is a trait that o n l y makes sense in a society where people should be able to read each others mind, in order to join attention and to facilitate cooperation (see Tomasellos seminal book „A Natutal History of Human Morality“ for details. It is a trait that is group-beneficial. Hiding intentions? Deceiving? Difficult with a white sclera.

Exhibit C: Norm psychology and 'third-party punishment':
My neighbor Susan beats her child, but this should be no skin off my nose. But I care. Real people do care. Self-interest alone doesn’t explain how people operate in real human societies—we judge norm violators and often punish them even it's costly for us, because we identify with those norms.

Exhibit D: Trust bias.
The default option when we deal with strangers is to trust them. If we were just selfish Machiavellian apes, the default option would be "I am suspicious until you have proven that you are trustworthy“. But that is not how it works. It is the other way round: "I trust you until there is evidence that you are not trustworthy." - This basic trust is the 'sine qua none' of any society beyond the size of a band, it is what allows trade , or what allows us to take our money to banks. Without a 'trust bias' there simply would be no trade or banks, because my first thought would be "This guy may smile at me, but he just wants my money to walk off with it." The reason why fraudulent 'sellers' on ebay and other con men like Bernie Madoff are so successful is our hard-wired propensity to trust strangers. In a Machiavellian world where everybody is constantly trying to deceive, such a trust bias could never have evolved.

Exhibit E: Human ultrasociality:
Humans are the only vertebrate with large-scale cooperation among non-related individuals. We are able of feats of cooperation only rivaled by eusocial insects like bees or ants. But in their case, it is a family business. We have built cities and states cooperating with total strangers. The operating system behind this feat is provided by norms. If Machiavellism were the core of the 'conditio humana', no city would ever have been built because people would have quarreled all the time, would have tried to free-ride and to outwit each other, and would finally have dispersed like people in the Bible did when they tried to build the Tower of Babylon, but God confused their language.

Just imagine a truly Machiavellian world in nuce, like (say) the White House under Trump, where everybody is constantly trying to deceive, to scheme, to gain some personal advantage, to hide his or her intentions, to form only tactical alliances, only to be abandoned after the 'partner' is no longer useful... Does anybody think that such a bunch of selfish and cunning individuals could ever achieve anything together, like, say, building an irrigation system, or a fish weir, or something really big like Göbekli Tepe? Of course not. They wouldn't even survive a month out in the wilderness, where everyone depends on each other. Where only groups can prosper that manage to function together.

But that's exactly what Mother Nature aka evolution did with our ancestors (Homo habilis, erectus, and so on...): Natural selection formed a naked ape, where the individual itself was helpless, frail, an easy prey for predators, but all those shortcomings and frailties were more than compensated by basically two specifically human traits:
(-a-) ultrasociality, a unique form of groupishness, with the ability to form functional groups consisting of very good team-players, and
(-b-) cumulative culture, the ability not to hide useful knowledge as a means to outwit and out-compete my competitors, but to pool and transmit useful knowledge for the benefit of all.

Matias 8 Aug 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

28 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Western Thought like clear cut, yes or no, single answers. Reality is nothing like that. We are "all the above", and our actions are calculated from a very complex evaluation.

I understood everything u wrote and I feel it , but don't have great knowledge and words to write something of great value / knowledge back . But I can say that I am selfish in my level / life . I don't have much but I do have more than others yet is not like I make a priority every week to give to the hungry or homeless or sick . I care more to have my espresso / hair conditioner / pay bills / food / whatever than what other humans might need that I can provide . I don't do much volunteering any more either , and even when I was , the left over of my time , not a priority . I care for the ones around me but those are humans and animals that love me so I guess I get something out of it and that doesn't count . The most I am thinking this , yes , I am a selfish ape 😟 people for some reason think of nurses as heroes or blah blah blah , and I think that's wrong . We get paid , and very well , to care and treat for people in distress . I guess nothing nobble . Now that I am thinking , when without make up and after 19 hrs shift , yep , Ape !

Our natural instinct is self preservation but we're evolved enough to overcome that, if we want to. The only exception I can think of, that overcomes self preservation is the bond between parent and child. However, even in some parents that's hit or miss. Possibly the instinct to protect you're mate arises but even that is not constant.

Brilliant post ... is this a dissertation? 😉 In all seriousness, while I clearly am not an anthropologist, I don't believe selfish apes would necessarily have had a survival advantage over cooperative (even self-sacrificing) apes. In fact, there are indications that group cohesion suffers when the dominant behavior involves 'self' over 'group.' Incidentally, I am not a big fan of Machiavelli, as you might assume.

Briefly, I found your Exhibit B very intriguing. While I recognize that the development of the whites of the eye (and associated muscles enabling movement) could support an agenda of deceit, it could just as easily support survival. For instance, a physically dominant group lacking the ability to indicate their intentions without turning their heads, would be at a disadvantage when confronting a group who could, with a mere glance, collaborate on defensive maneuvers and countermeasures.

Finally, I agree with your conclusion. Namely, that nature would have selected for functional groups and the pooling and transmittal of useful knowledge. But let us consider one final factor, or modality--self sacrifice (i.e., martyrdom). An inherently selfish (and likely cowardly) group would be at a disadvantage when confronting an interwoven group dedicated to the long-term survival of the community. A group with a 'warrior-like' ethic, in which individuals were ready and willing to sacrifice themselves for the survival of their group, could most certainly prevail over the inherently selfish ones.

No. Now give me all your bananas. But no seriously some interesting thoughts. I think our traits have proven to be a unique compromise between our two closest relatives, chimps and bonobos. Chimps are violent, territorial, jealous, competitive, sexually arrogant and possessive etc. males, being much larger than than females treat the females like property. Bonobo troops are dominated by the similarly sized females influencece, they exhibit homosexuality and use sex to greet and treat the males. They adapted and learned to use sex to diffuse fights rather than to fuel competition and they open up their territory between troops more often. promiscuity informed their morality because if you don’t know whose kids belong to whom, then you raise all the young as a unified village and males are less likely to kill offspring to initiate more breeding, because it might already be theirs. Dr Chris Ryan has a great podcast Tangentially Speaking and a couple books Sex at Dawn and Civilized to death talking about our morality from an anthropological standpoint, pretty fascinating.

One of the key differences between man and other animals is other animals adapt to their environment while man is unique in often adapting his environment to himself. It's a paradigm shift that can play havoc with adapting evolutionary models within anthropological frameworks.

Once you take into account the environmental engineering that man does traits lending towards social integration becomes obviously advantageous. The traits which allow the cooperation requisite for molding an environment more conducive to the species lead to their selection as the victory of one polis over another. The more cooperation the more the environment can be molded. This includes the citizens as elements of the environment. And so man's ability to adapt his environment to himself leads to the creation of social structures as the most effective, and therefore the most often selected, to realize this. In turn, the strongest social structures are those that allow the greatest number of citizens to realize the maximally socially productive potential. Inclusion is thus selected over exclusion.
Of course this is just my theory and is conjecture. I welcome any counterexamples.

Von Neumann and Morgenstern's Theory of Games and Economic Behavior [archive.org] suggests that behavior is much more subtle than the either/or model you propose... as does Richard Dawkins' The Selfish Gene.

There are times when it pays to be altruistic (or selfless, if you prefer). There are times when it pays to be selfish. Most of the time it pays to be a little of each. We strike a balance between looking out for personal interest and looking out for the interest of our gene pool. In many cases this is our extended gene pool, and sometimes even merely a gene pool that is similar to our own gene pool. We risk our own life to save that of a stranger. Sometimes, we risk our life to save a member of another species- a being that cannot conceivably be of our gene pool or a related gene pool. That is the epitome of selflessness. This is not the norm, which is why we call those people "heroes"- and yet it's a model most of us aspire to and hope we would live up to when the time came.

Most of the time, we unconsciously (or subconsciously) calculate a risk/reward equation constantly in our interactions with others; what will be the result of our actions? Very rarely do these calculations intrude on the thought process of most people... they just go through life on autopilot, acting and reacting and then being terribly surprised when things don't go as they expected.

@Matias I think it should be mentioned that non-kinship related altruism in nature is rare, like the guard prairie dog that warns the group of an approaching cayote at risk to itself. Dawkins reminds us that helping nonrelated outsiders diminishes the chances of our own offspring. It's a selfish gene.

@Aristopus Yes and no. Helping the entire group contributes to the survival chances of our offspring as well, since, if the group perishes, everyone's offspring dies, whereas success for all is success for our offspring. Dawkins himself later wrote that he should have picked a better title than "selfish", since it seemed an endorsement of Social Darwinist thinking.

No, now give me that banana!

To some degree, everything I do is selfish. Even when it's a sacrifice, something about it makes me feel good. I think it's possible to do something for someone else when it doesn't necessarily feel good, at least not consciously, but it still fits within some value system that is in some sense satisfying.

Lol jinx I made the same joke.

We are not apes. We just share a common ancestor. Actually, humans are more selfish than apes and we might learn a lot from apes.

My personal opinion is that it varies from person to person. I think on the whole, we tend to be more altruistic than selfish for all of the reasons you have so thoughtfully outlined above, but I have met exceptions to the rule. Men who adore and model their behavior after Machiavelli (some of whom are blatantly proud of it), women who lie and manipulate, often using their sexuality or gender to play the part of the helpless damsel in distress to get what they want. I do my best to avoid such people, I think they are psychotic.

On the other hand, I also think my trusting nature is my biggest personal flaw. Discernment is a critical skill that is not always well taught.

I guess I am not only a selfish ape but a lazy one too...refuse to read all that

I think we are insane apes. But I do think we are selfish also. But then I do not think being selfish is always a bad thing. I think the true poison of humanity is willful ignorance. Like denying climate change and our role in it. Or pretending that some God justifies ones weakness because we can't help being assholes because of Satan and the fall. Or letting your kid die because God. Or yourself for that matter.

Quarm Level 6 Aug 25, 2018

Apes, for the most part, are NOT selfish beings, YES they do have a Social Status/Pecking Order system BUT they are nowhere near as selfish as ever so many humans are and can be.
Having said that, I'd also posit that in all my years of dealing people I have found that, in my opinion and WITHOUT bias, Atheists are far less selfish, socially caring and community aware people than those who have a religious tendency.

@Matias I'd hazard to say that my 50+ years of being involved in numerous aspects of working, observing and assisting the communities at large, studying Theology and Psychology, ( for which I have attained Degrees btw) plus reading literally mountains of statistics, etc, etc, using my own UNBIASED mind plus the numerous recent ( held over the last 2 Decades) studies done by completely Independent Organizations should, most possibly, give me a better than the average understanding and insight into the subject at hand.
Add to that personal experiences aplenty then I'd say my second paragraph was NOT biased but as close to factual as it can be.

It is very complicated, evolution and the nature of life provides that humans may be motivated in many ways. We may be selfish, family/group altruistic, wish to appear altruistic even when we are not for selfish or group gain, be truly altruistic which may be an error, or seek simple mutual benefit, while a lot of our actions may just be neutral, motivated by unthinking habit for example, and all of these motives are not exclusive but usually overlap and reinforce each other. Moreover while what is selfish may appear altruistic, it is also true that what is altruistic may often seem selfish in the eyes of others; and you must not forget the great power of self delusion, that we are capable of believing we are acting for one reason when our real motivations are quite else, it is not just others who may mistake our motives. This is why ideologies such as Christianity and Marxism, which claim to be totally altruistic, always come in the end to produce the greatest social injustices where the religious and political establishments enrich themselves at the expense of the poor while still claiming, in spite of all evidence to the contrary, to act for the greatest good of all; since of course they do not allow for any of this. Such are the things which make human politics so difficult or interesting however you choose to see it.

The short answer is yes.

All actions have motive at some level, the fact that we can act beyond our own self interest is not unique in nature. Acting to the benefit of people who cannot reciprocate, people we will never meet is our greatest strength. Allowing our "better nature" to come forth and guide our actions is one of the great beauties of life.

all this doublespeak by anthropologist intelligentsia ignores basic family life observations.....humans nurture.... women, though raped and oppressed continue to nurture.... and males become men when they just say no to religion, rape, greed, war and stick close to home protecting spouse and relatives despite "selfish" temptations of monetarist patriarchal fascist shamanistic societies

You clearly haven't lived in my neighborhood.

i am certainly selfish (who else would do the job for me?), but don't consider myself an ape.

@Matias, i am not so much interested in the technical side of being relatable to apes but in the intellectual capacity in humans to surpass typical animal behaviour, such as sexual competition, tendencies to eliminate weaker elements within a tribe, jealousy, physically aggressive confrontation. but then i have always considered myself a rare specimen, in that my aim is to advance, not to settle comfortably & start getting mouldy while alive 😉

Some of us are altruistic apes.

... & some, like i, are selfish non-apes.

Interesting topic, can't argue with your conclusions.

No, we are selfish and unselfish apes.

skado Level 9 Aug 25, 2018

@Matias
Well I’m no sociologist of course, so I’d just be guessing, but I’d guess functional societies are based on our entire nature rather than any isolated component, and our entire nature includes a capacity for trust and a capacity for distrust. Maybe another way to get at an answer would be to ask which situation would render a society dysfunctional more quickly, the removal of distrust or the removal of trust, and it sure seems the latter as far as internal function is concerned. But... the removal of distrust could make the group vulnerable to external competition. Knowing the important role balance plays in everything I wouldn’t be surprised to learn that distrust might contribute something positive internally as well but nothing comes to mind particularly.
I do suspect that trust plays a larger role than we are generally aware.

"Are we all basically selfish apes?"

Yes.

Yes, we are horrible selfish apes. The worst animals on the planet.

Livia Level 6 Aug 25, 2018

apart from the tarantula wasp

@Matias yes, that's why we throw plastic in the sea and sell arms to Saudis to bomb Yemen. It’s also why we have torture, Trump, serial killers, and leave boxes of puppies on a highway. Nope, we are vile.

@Matias no, it’s not anecdotal- look at the Great Pacific Garbage Patch. Physical evidence - search for it swirling on Google maps. Gender change in marine animals due to toxins [academic.oup.com] Deforestation....methane released from polar melting. There is absolutely nothing anecdotal about the way humans have destroyed the planet.
And stop being so cheesy and superior. You aren’t the only one on here who has an education or a brain!

@Matias, bonobos are cooperative, I don’t see them tearing down forests and using disposable straws.
We are monsters and that garbage patch is disgusting. The ancient Mesopotamians and Persians were civilized, Romans were civilized - what environmental collateral damage did they make that we are still suffering from today? They didn’t trigger global warming and a plastic oceanic garbage patch. I know what a synonym is. I didn’t mention nice, or peaceful. I think the post industrial urban human is wasteful, disrespectful and inconsiderate.

I did not read all the pint of your evidence - sorry.
the simple thing is that existence is a simple case of economics of calories. If we don't eat ore calories than our bodies consume we are dying - ultimately dead. and it's not only calories - deficiencies of any king, may it be iron, iodine, calcium etc. all lead toward the same failure of life case.

So moral don't have anything to do with it. Sure there are different personality types......

Stig Level 5 Oct 24, 2018

the more advanced moralistic behavior is because of the advanced ability to abstract, not in spite of it.

in a social species capable of such machiavellan thought, those who truly feel guilt and shame are less likely to get caught, ergo have a survival advantage. these emotional motivations are the result of a long string of variational changes within the mechanisms behind social behaviors in other primates, as well as partially a product of the type of abstraction we are capable of. "when others aren't watching" is harder to apply to a species capable of recognizing evidence and logically deducing a culprit even when there are no willing witnesses.

so, no, we are not "merely" selfish apes. we are...ape 2.0. selfish with a layer of reinforcement mechanisms to offset some of the selfishness in order to gain cooperative advantage.

when you look at some of these mechanisms, though, in deeper analysis you'll find that many are actually supporting the selfishness underneath. By being truly ashamed, we gain approval. Insincere apologies don't get as much forgiveness as sincere ones, and are much harder to fake in a species wired with an ability to judge each others motivations. Altruism gains us "social points", so that even if the subject of our altruism is unable to repay the favor, others within the society will view us as "good" and treat us better. they are not consciously selfish, or machiavellan in nature, but are background mechanisms that allow us to reap the greatest benefit for us or our progeny.

And cooperating to build a better, safer, or more enriched society for all by definition includes me and my offspring. Mechanisms which support cooperation are good for ME, not just society, because society is the framework in which I must live.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:163607
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.