Agnostic.com

32 4

Would you or wouldn't you?

This is directed mostly at the over 50 crowd. Please read/answer all the questions. Thanks

If you were diagnosed with cancer, would you go through the treatment or not?

Why/why not?

Would it depend on the type of cancer?

Crimson67 8 Aug 26

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

32 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

On April 17, 2018, my gastroenterologist told me a have a tumor. On July 6, 2018, I completed the first course of treatment, ie. taking 4 tablets of Xeloda in the morning, M-F, 3 in the evening, M-F, radiation, M-F for 28 treatments. Tomorrow, I have surgery. After time to heal from surgery, I will have intravenous chemotherapy. So, yes, I'm going through the treatment.

I am a 10 year primary brain cancer survivor, anaplastic astrocytoma grade 3. Not only did I go through treatment for two years, I would do it again.

It depends on the kind of cancer & also what the treatment would be.

Carin Level 8 Aug 27, 2018

Depends on the treatment available, the cancer type, chances of remission etc.
If it was all not great news, I would make preparations to say goodbye, travel if there was a chance I could, stop treatment and seek euthanasia.
If there was a good recovery outcome and decent treatment I would give it a try. People do recover from cancer, even seniors.

Livia Level 6 Aug 26, 2018

I would seek alternative treatment based on Newcastle Disease Virus (NDV, [ncbi.nlm.nih.gov] ), provided that there's evidence it has been shown effective against the type of cancer in question, which seems to be fairly broad at this point.

It had been a while since I checked this info, and I'm pleased to see knowledge of NDV in the treatment of cancer has expanded, but not near enough research has been done, considering that the earliest indications of its effectiveness dates back to 1962.

Depends on the chance of winning the battle and quality of life. I'm not interested in a pointless battle and low quality of life. However, who knows until your actually face with the real LIFE decision.

Either way cancer sucks but something always does eventually. My mother passed in the best way. She fell asleep. Other than that it's probably going to suck. All the more reason to live in the moment and enjoy it while we can.

It would most certainly depend on the type and stage of the cancer....there is Not a one-size-fits-all treatment!

It would depend on the details, particularly the prognosis, but most cancer "treatment" is extremely hit-or-miss and very taxing, and "success" is defined as "freedom from detectable cancer for at least 5 years" and there's some indication that cancer returning just beyond that threshold is not uncommon -- it's not that unusual to have a 2 or 3 year "battle with cancer", be okay for a few years, and then back at it with a vengeance again.

At this point in my life ( age 61 ) just selfishly speaking I'd rather have have palliative care than chemo and radiation unless the prognosis were very good for full recovery in a fairly short time. There's nothing that compelling about life that I want to go to ridiculous ends to hold onto it.

Speaking to reality, which is that I have a wife and stepson my demise would severely impact, and less so, a daughter and four grandchildren, one of the latter of whom I'm actively mentoring -- I might well endure a broader range of misery and uncertainty on their behalf, but again, it'd be situational. In some ways I already feel I've lived long enough, seen enough (and lost enough) but it's not all about me and my preferences.

it depends on the cancer

Even though, I am not sure what the actual scenario would be at that time, but I am pretty sure that would depend on which portion of the body has the carcinogenic cells.
I would try to switch to a vegan diet and exercise, if possible, that is for sure

I already did. Diagnosed with stage 3 Hodgkin's Lymphoma in January 2017 and went through 12 chemo treatments over 6 months. Been in remission since August 2017... So many people have said to me, "well, at least you had the curable kind" -- yes, "curable" if you've had treatment, because I also know of some people who didn't get treatment who died. So, no regrets here. Even if it comes back, I still have a better chance. I'm all for alternative treatments, but I also believe in exploring every option.

Cancer isn't one disease, it's dozens (hundreds?) of different diseases, each with their own growth rates and weaknesses. Current treatment options for some kinds are expanding rapidly and prognoses are improving.

Unless the cancer is confirmed untreatable by two separate physicians, probably I would opt for any medical option available.

I think it depends upon the type and stage of cancer. One of my dear friends had non-Hodgkin's lymphoma when he was over 50, had chemo, and is doing well. Another friend with hodkin's lymphoma and she had chemo. It was rough on her but she is still alive and doing ok. She was probably < 40.

Both of those friends were healthy as a horse folks - who were both in great physical shape, ate a good diet, etc. (Just to point to the "eat more kale and you won't get cancer" crowd that cancer can hit anyone).

I am not a medically trained person - but a computer scientist. But in my work I deal with cancer datasets quite a bit. The survival outcomes for some type cancers are in your favor if you undergo chemo. For other types, like the glioblastoma that killed John McCain, the prognosis is not good (glioblastoma is a NASTY disease). The survival numbers are starkly different.

Ohub Level 7 Aug 26, 2018

Hodgkin's chemo-treated survivor here. Agreed, cancer can hit anyone.

@bleurowz I am glad you are a survivor! The thing is we are all healthy, until we aren't. I see lots of talking heads pontificate about not wanting to pay for health care for others because "I take care of myself and I am healthy". Makes me want to pull an Elvis-variation and shoot the computer or TV.

@Ohub Absolutely. You never know when you're going to get sick or injured. It was a total shock when I was diagnosed, completely unexpected. I was grateful I had insurance; even so there were out-of-pocket costs I've still needed help with.

Yes my mother had cancer when she turned 75, she just turned 85 and is still going strong

Phin Level 6 Aug 26, 2018

1). Yes

2). My daughter. I’m all she has.

3). No

I am 81 and if I had a diagnosis of cancer, I would not undergo treatment. I would have a different perspective if I were younger. My attitude; why go through the horrible treatment, spend an exorbitant amount money only to die anyway in a reasonably short time frame. Your mileage may vary.

It depends on the rate that I would be expected to survive. I have been through an illness which required me to be bedbound for about a year and which I could barely leave the house for three years. I am not ever going to let that type of suffering happen again at my age.I have already lost 3 years of my life to it.

Like almost everyone else, it would depend on the type of cancer and the odds of a remission. I would not, for example, treat pancreatic cancer since that's usually caught at stage 4. For other types, I'd need to know more. I have seen people go to 'heroic' treatments only to be utterly miserable for the extra two weeks it probably bought them. I'm about to turn 70. I wouldn't want to go, but it's inevitable. My daughter is an adult and a successful physician. We've discussed my Advanced Directive as to what should be done if I'm unable to make healthcare decisions and unless I can be myself again, I'm a DNR.

@Crimson67 I agree that is the central question. I am leaning more toward a shorter, better time -- if it comes to this. I've seen too many people fight through horrible treatments only to die without any good time left.

i will have to answer this question soon. my endometrial biopsy isn't until the 17th. i've been trying to answer it in advance and i can't.

g

@Crimson67 thanks 🙂)

g

I hope it came back negative.

@alanalorie thanks -- i went in to get the biopsy and the doc said why bother, let's just operate, so i have surgery in november.

g

yep. not done yet.

I was and did. Head and neck.

Depends on the type of cancer and the prognosis with (vs without) treatment.

It comes down to a cost/benefit analysis in my mind. Some of the treatments for cancer are very specialized and very expensive. If one only gains a little bit more life for all that money, probably not worth it.

Finally, I seem to recall a comment that while many men will die WITH prostrate cancer but not OF prostrate cancer. Oversimplifying things - I expect we will all have carcinogenic cells in our body, the question is one of if and when they spread and how aggressively.

@Crimson67 Yes, as I mentioned earlier the general criteria for "success" is to be cancer-free for 5 years, but that doesn't address other body parts you might be free of, for example, you might be missing your colon or rectum or a leg or a breast or two, have a permanently compromised immune system, etc. Everyone who survives does not survive unscathed -- and the "success" criteria completely ignores this. Much of oncology is a shambling creepshow of the unthinkable, even after all these decades of "progress" in the "war on cancer". And I'm not even addressing the mental and emotional toll of these things.

Depends on the type and the prognosis

Friend of mine went through radiation and chemo and it knocked out the cancer...if you want to live you have to give it a shot

lerlo Level 8 Aug 26, 2018

@Crimson67 you get to die if you want to. There are bad doctors like there are bad people in every profession. Question is do you want to live or die if you don't want to take the chance to live up to you.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:164111
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.