Agnostic.com

58 9

To hug or not to hug

Are you a hugger?

Do you feel comfortable giving/receiving hugs from strangers or people you aren't close to?

Why or why not?

Crimson67 8 Aug 26

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

58 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I love hugs and don't get enough of them, ever. Not saying I'll start hugging strangers (although I have, with extenuating circumstances), but I'm a big fan of human touch. It's so good for us on so many different levels.

You light up my day like you will never know ?

@IamNobody Thank you, that's really nice to hear!

@Nottheonlyone oh boy... Which part? (My brain works in mysterious ways ? ) ..... The part where you will never know? ???

@IamNobody I'm okay with all of it! ?

A couple of years ago at work, one of my coworkers went to hug me and I flinched only because I didn’t see it coming... Now every time she sees me, she comes over and says, “I know how much you love my hugs!” and gives me a huge hug. She tells everyone that I hate being hugged, even though I say it’s not true... it’s very uncomfortable for me, because people already think I’m standoffish!

My opinion is, If someone is happy enough to see me that they want to hug me, that feels awesome so let’s get it on!

@Crimson67 yes!! Everyone else acknowledges that it’s weird too. ? Just a few months ago we went to a funeral for a former student who unfortunately passed away, and she did it there and was telling other teachers from my school that I hate hugs... like, I’m standing there CRYING, and she’s harassing me!

Perception is greater than the truth. If you want to change this, you need to start hyper-hugging everyone. except me. if you see me, please don't. because i don't like hugs. for real. not a joke. (People think i'm kidding and still hug me. i hate it.)

Never been a hugger but have loosened up over the years and enjoy them when I get them.

However, I rarely initiate them unless I know the person well. As a man I don't trust my own reading of others and I don't care for coming across as creepy and I've seen far to many negative reactions to a man going in for a hug. Women seem to get away with it much easier.

I hug. I am southern. I was raised to be a hugger. Though I can't speak for us all, I would think we lean hugger.

@Crimson67 wow, that must have been hard with so much hugging down here.

I'm not too much of a hugger because of my nervous system conditions. It's often painful to hug. So I can do it, but I don't seek it out much.

I am an affectionate man, I came from a family of huggers and I have no issues with being hugged and/or hugging and enjoy it very much. I will always ask a stranger if I could get a hug before proceeding and always respect the answer. It applies to both men and women equally.

I think asking is good and something I’ve learned to do

I'm not a hugger, even with people I know and like. A stranger is going to have to make due with a handshake

GwenC Level 7 Aug 26, 2018

It really depends on the person and how I feel about them. Personally, I like hugs, but not awkward hugs. So it has to be a mutual connection that is hug-worthy. Most strangers, some friends, and even some family members do not fit the bill.

I love/need hugs, but not from strangers. Hugs are a trust issue & that has to be built, it is not automatic. But, from those I love, hell, yeah!

Male or female, btw, hugs are definitely not always sexual but comforting.

I'm a hugger. But I always check if new people are huggable.

No problem hugging, it's either genuine affection, casual friendliness, or a cheap thrill.

I love hugs. I will always take the opportunity for one. ☺️

sure.

I enjoy hugs, but I’m not very trustful of strangers.

Hey I'm all for hugs 🙂

Not usually, but sometimes there is an undeniable connection ??

It depends on who it is....how well I know them....and if I'm feeling comfortable with them.

Hugs from strangers? No..but I will hug their dog. LOL
and I do like hugging trees <3 <3 <3

Other than close personal relationships, I don’t want to touch humans. They’re nasty, disease ridden, and often stink. If I do make contact with one, I usually want to wash it off of my hands.
Close relationships with friends and relatives are acceptable for hugging, but I can’t guarantee that sometimes I won’t go wash my hands in that situation, either. Depends. A niece with chromosomal errors, an aunt that smells like cheese, a cousin that smells like ball sweat, or whatever. There are others, however, that I never want washed off me.

Hugging for me implies a level of intimacy that I'm uncomfortable with in regard to strangers or even casual acquaintances. I tolerate hugging from friends and family, but I'm not overjoyed about it (but it doesn't really bother me, and I'll even initiate if hugging has been established within our relationship).

I tend to not hug unless I know the person. It feels disingenuous otherwise. Sincerity matters.

Do I go high, go low, does one of my arms to high and the other low? Do I touch cheek to cheek, or chin on the shoulder? How long is too long, how hard do I squeeze? >> this is my anxiety talking when I hug a stranger.
Otherwise, I absolutely love hugs from people I'm close to!!

This is a good question. I've hugged though I felt awkward. I've hugged and felt that the receiver felt awkward. I've gone to asking if the intended recipient is comfortable with a hug.

I'm not a touchy person. There are few people who may hug me, and fewer still with whom I am comfortable initiating a hug.

JimG Level 8 Aug 26, 2018

I don't hug, shake hands or dance.

If it is a two way street where you know the feeling is mutual then a big hell yes. It's so comforting in so many ways, from the edge of friendly all the way to a sexy moment so difficult to describe. Of course the approach from friendly to sexy and everything in between depends on the moment, the person and the circumstances. There is a time for everything.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:164151
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.