Agnostic.com

20 2

Is it worrying that there is a **ProGunRights** in this forum?

[agnostic.com] ProGunRights vs [agnostic.com] Nogunsareus

I always thought that the American gunmania was somehow connected to the country's obsession with religion.
To my surprise I found this group here side-by-side with Nogunsareus.

• 22 votes
  • 1 vote
PontifexMarximus 8 Aug 29

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

20 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Eh I don't oppose a group for gun enthusiast...Im a gun owner myself Burn in also a proponent of gun control...If anything it might be a good way to open up a dialogue with pro-gun folks.

Not to mention while you have people that lean way to far into their mind-set with guns you still have plenty of people willing to come to the table on the issue.

Before passing judgement..Maybe talk to em.

I'm fine with anyone holding any particular view being here. What would be the point of this place if we turned it into the same kind of echo-chamber the faithful seem to prefer? As long as any views are expressed honestly, with the purpose of greater understanding, and in a nonconfrontational manner, I say, let us hear it.

I'm fine with the second amendment. Though I don't see anywhere in its language any form of protection of our "right" to own and operate military grade assault weaponry. A reasonable amount of limitation is absolutely warranted when discussing objects capable of ending multiple human lives in seconds.

[agnostic.com]
Guns for all: Gays, Lesbians, Liberals etc

Stupid isn't biast it's all inclusive !!!;

I am so happy about the response here ... now I am convinced that we all need guns, tanks, nuclear weapons and a few gummibears ...
I decided to launch the movement "GUNS for all: Gays, Lesbians, Liberals ... the lot ...

I don't think there is a connection between gun preferences and sexual preferences , unless it's a matter of self defence .

What amuses me is the way gun nuts treat The Constitution like religious nuts treat The Bible - as inerrant, unchangeable law.
The right to bear arms is itself an amendment. The Constitution is constantly changing - what was put in can be taken out again and that would still be perfectly constitutional. Rights can change too - the right to hold slaves for example. People should recognise that The Constitution is a man-made, fallible instrument and stop being in thrall to it.

Excellent point ... this was the reason for me to raise the issue. Just as most bible basher have extremely limited knowledge of their own bible. Most of these gunsters probably have equally limited knowledge of legal processes and the changing nature of laws.
Interestingly enough my present post attracted most comments from these gunnuts.

They just like to pick and choose which amendments they like. They're fine with restrictions on the First Amendment, like you can't yell fire in a crowded theater. But they won't have any restrictions on the Second Amendment, like you can't have any "arm" you want, like you can't have a bazooka or an AK-47 or anything that shoots as many bullets as possible. They don't care that the US Supreme Court has spoken on that issue and says there can be restrictions. So they want their freedom to be anti-religion but are intransigent when it comes to their guns.

lerlo Level 8 Aug 30, 2018

Like the religious, they pick and choose. For me the interesting point is that since every citizen has the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness then the right to bear arms must not conflict with that, so guns (or any lethal weapon) should not be allowed where they may threaten the lives of others and restricted to private property, gun ranges, army bases etc.

Not living in the U.S. i couldn't possibly have a view on this because the U.S. never interferes in any other countries politics (cough) ?

I like that comment.

Not a problem. I fully support the right to bear arms because home invasions DO happen. The world is a sick and scary place. It's better to be prepared.

"The world is a sick and scary place"
Your profile says you're a "lot of fun". You might want to work on that.

@Gareth I can't help but let the news get to me.

Why would it be "worrying"?
The USA is a free country should NOT bow to extremists who demand that other's Constitutional Rights are withdrawn.

Actually, the right to defend ourselves is a human right and supersedes even the Constitution.
It is an inalienable right -- it is a right that cannot be taken away or transferred.
Just because other countries have limited the freedom and rights of their citizens does not mean that the USA should follow them down that slippery slope.

Thank you for your comment.

I adore your defence of the constitution ...

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

I am not sure whether the gunsters really have profound knowledge of the constitution. I suspect that many just repeat what you just wrote without ever checking the original text.
I also suspect that many US citizens have rather limited knowledge of the rights people have in other countries. As a matter of fact there is a perception outside the US of A that most Americans have extremely limited knowledge of the rest of the world.

Personally, I'm happy to live in a country where someone doesn't have the right to kill me in cold blood with just a twitch of their finger but I will defend the rights of idiots to endanger themselves as long as it's well away from me.

@PontifexMarximus Unfortunately , it seems intelligence , isn't an inalienable right .

@Cast1es Your statement isn't even logical.

@SkotlandSkye That seems to be a matter of opinion . A supervisor once told me , I didn't fit in as a government employee , because I'm too logical . He knew me much longer and much better than you , so I think his opinion is more factual based then yours .

@Cast1es riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight. Post a nonsense statement and then defend it. LOL What a brilliant strategy! hahahah

I don't see a problem, it is a valid subject of discussion especially within the US. If you don't like it, scroll past, if you want to join the discussion no matter what side of the fence you sit, go for it!

If you read the "mission statement“ of that group you read that "debating should be kept to a minimum". My point is more in relation to the presence of this group within this site.
I would assume that for most gun ethusiasts the guns rank higher than the religious affiliation or lack thereof.

@PontifexMarximus see my reply further down this thread!

How do you know they are not simply expressing a preference for the AK-47 over the M-16?

In your bio you claim to be a Libertarian who is opposed to all forms of censorship, so why does my group worry you? If you don't like it just move along. Your second polling option is not accurate, my Pro Gun Rights group is not an extremist group, and fellow members of that group simply believe the gun control measures proposed by the progressive liberals has not nor will not solve anything because criminals do not obey the laws. The same thing happened a while back with the Conservative Atheists group on this site, a few whack jobs got it in their mind that group was a hate group for some warped reason all because we had differing views when it comes to politics, and reported said group to Admin which in the process riled other screwballs up. I firmly believe the concept of self-defense is instinctual, and gun rights should not be infringed upon in any manner. Now, since we're on the topic of extremists, doesn't anyone else on here think a group that dedicates hatred towards one man is extreme? Yet for the most part nothing much is said about that, and hate is still hate regardless if it's directed at a group or a single politician. I bet there would be some serious outrage here if an Obama Pinata group were started. Pardon the rant, but during my time on this site I've observed a rather annoying double standard when it comes to free speech, and after awhile I get sick of it. I've received hate messages from dummy accounts on here just because of a few groups I host, and some told me to commit suicide...is that extreme enough for you? Being this site claims to be comprised of tolerant and loving freethinkers...

Defenders of the Second Amendment to the US Constitution and shooting sports enthusiasts. This group does NOT believe in so-called "sensible" gun control measures, so debating within this group shall be kept to a minimum.

A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

Your tag line

"Defenders of the Second Amendment to the US Constitution and shooting sports enthusiasts. This group does NOT believe in so-called "sensible" gun control measures, so debating within this group shall be kept to a minimum.“

The wording of the Second Amendment to the US Constitution:

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

My invitation to people to voice their opinion has little to do with censorship.

It is your opposition to sensible gun control measures and your reminder that debating should be kept to a minimum that justifies, in my opinion, the label extremist.

Your allusion to the instinct of self-defence has very little to do with the issue of owning guns and the ”right" to use them is somewhat ludicrous. The process of obtaining a gun is a rather rational and controlled act which has absolutely nothing to do with an instinctual reaction to an imminent threat unless one grabs a gun that happens to be within reach while the threat of an attack is present.

@PontifexMarximus I included the part about debating because that particular group was not intended for debate, just like for the most part the gun control group is not for debating but like-minded individuals. Also, from past experience there are alot of folks on this site who cannot debate or converse in a civil manner, so I set that group up for like-minded members mostly. There is no such thing as "sensible" gun control measures, it's only about control, and I have no choice but to be opposed to said measures because they have been and continue to be a huge failure. Creating a group that limits debating is hardly extreme when you consider all the groups out there that would welcome it because that would be the purpose of such groups, and based on feedback I got from fellow group members most of them have said they shouldn't have to deal with trolling. There is nothing ludicrous about owning/using guns for self-defense, more often than not they are the most efficient means of home defense should the need arise, and based on your response you obviously didn't get the point I was trying to make in regards to that. It had nothing to do whatsoever with comparing the two scenarios.

@SpikeTalon Can you guide me to some unbiased research on your claims about using guns for self-defence?

@SpikeTalon I wrote that your argument about the "instinct" is ludicrous.

@PontifexMarximus Neither of them were ludicrous. Regarding your question, how so? What is it exactly you are looking for? How could scenarios that involve self defense with a firearm be biased, they are what they are and either occured or didn't.

My speed data for this month has been used up which means slow net speeds, and I'll be busy over the holiday weekend, but I will certainly get back to you on that.

@SpikeTalon I didn't see the bit about restricting debate in the group before I posted my initial comment. Sounds more like you want a nice cosy "echo chamber". If you want a "safe zone" maybe set up your own blog elsewhere? Otherwise let your views be challenged, it's the best way to learn!

@Pete66 Who said anything about a damned safe space? The groups on here are intended to be for like minded individuals. Do you have any idea how upset the gun control group got in the past when opposing views presented themselves? Some of us didn't come here to debate or argue with others, but to connect with like minded individuals. If you're into debating then why don't you specifically start a debate group then and leave me alone.

@SpikeTalon a "safe space" is exactly what you are describing!

@SpikeTalon Ignore them. There is no group as small minded as those that want to take away and restrict the freedoms of others. They are the ones that want an "echo chamber" where no one disagrees with them...and they are the ones who want a "safe place" to curl up in a ball and not have to deal with anyone who disagrees with their narrow minded view of the world. This site is full of SJWs and special snowflakes who would love to take away the rights and freedoms of others -- up to and including abolishing private property and private wealth. Honestly, it all stems from their own insecurities and failures....they haven't managed to create wealth and freedom for themselves so to feel better about their failures, they want everyone to have the same failures. They really aren't worth your time. The have been brainwashed beyond hope. Just ignore their ignorant rants.

It's not my thing so I don't join. For all I know, I belong to at least one group that a site member doesn't approve of. Wouldn't want any of my groups to suddenly be determined offensive and deleted because that was the case.

My experience has been that there are as many gun owners that are democrat as there are republicans. There are many of these people who never go to church, but if they were in a bad situation, or were looking at natures beauty they might invoke the name of god. I would hardly call that a fanatic. If I were to pick a line of division in this culture, it would be between those who went college, and those who did not. Thanks for reading🙂

depends i hate guns but thats me trying to stop something is a good way too shut down any conversation and lead to demarcation lines none can cross

It's not the "pro-gun rights" per se that worry me... it's that they're the same pro-gun ideologies we see on the Evangelical side. Their ideologies are hyper-critical of reason and logic, they're focused on the constant fear brought about by conspiracy theory--which they embrace without question, and they cannot have a logical or reasoned debate.

Ammosexuals in general are a difficult batch to understand, but to see them on a a site that's dedicated to logic and reason, I have to wonder... why are they here at all?

@shebaloney It's NOT a new word. I actually have an Ammosexual TShirt that is at least 5 years old. People try to use it as an insult....but it actually was coined by defenders of the 2nd Amendment.

@Benthoven you, as I did, assumed that this site is based on logic and reason. That is your downfall. Some people here are just mad at God and religion because something in their lives went wrong and their beliefs screwed them. They didn't go through the process of actually determining that God and religion are anti logic and reason. Consequently their anti logic and reason (and anti legal) beliefs that there can be no restrictions on guns despite the US Supreme Court saying that there can be is to be expected. You will also find intolerance and racism here that would also seem to be counterintuitive. If you dare to raise such issues you will be told you should leave the site.

I am an atheist, own guns, and don't think more gun control is necessary or effective.

Don't liek it (pro-gun rights groups), but I believe in freedom of speech and freedom of association, so I dont' believe in banning them.

I can certainly respect your personal opinion on that matter, and thank you for standing up for free speech/expression.

Was upset when people formed a Nazi group-studying Hitler. Different strokes for different folks.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:166490
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.