Agnostic.com

17 4

Embarrassed

Ever been around your friends or relatives and they are praying before eating or talking about religion or angels or god and you are the only non believer in the room and they ask you if you believe in angels? this happened to me and I told them what I think.

5082gregory 7 Jan 20

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

17 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I don't have this happen to me much any more. I am a proud antitheist.

To me, Scientology is what I consider a cult. I have little respect or belief in cults. There are always some kind of hidden abuses that eventually are revealed. As far as Scientology, it is like I am with most groups about serious belief systems, I do not join. My beliefs are mine. They are sacred. I hold them close to my heart and while I am willing to help any individual or a group that does deeds to help humanity, I do it as a loner. I may volunteer some time, some money, some kind of assistance, but I cannot be owned, not by a cult, a religion, or a vile extremest group. I have paid some difficult emotional costs for my freedom. Since it cost me so much emotionally, while I will help about anyone, but I will be owned by no one.

I didn't get asked about angels but I did make the mistake of stealing a quick glance at my daughter who immediately broke out in uncontrollable giggling.

Perhaps I have an odd way of handling things. Most of my family are Christians. The one exception being my younger brother who has always been a critical thinker. He is the only one I am open with about my lack of belief. When I get together for holidays with my mother,I am always quick to ask someone else to "say grace" so I'm not asked to do the task.

But, there have been times when I've been caught and had to do it. I find it easy to go through the motions having done it out of belief when I considered myself a Christian. And for me as an agnostic, going through the motions of a Christian prayer is much easier to do without duress than to ask a Christian to abstain from their religious practices for my benefit. It means nothing to me to do it. It doesn't harm me in any way and it avoids hurting anyone on the other side of the fence. It costs me nothing. My family is important to me. And, they are genuinely good people. In actuality, my brother (the non-believer) is the asshole in the family. I find in most political conversations,the conservatives listen to my opinion and respect it even when they still often disagree with me. And, many times I can sway their opinions in the political arena through some of our discussions. For me, it's about having a civil discussion and avoiding a direct conflict over an issue on which I feel I will not make a dent in their beliefs but, they will walk away from the conversation with a loss of respect for me if it's not handled delicately.

I have discovered that our bond of love for one another overrides the disagreements except where religion is concerned. I discovered this by observing my younger brother and the way he adamantly argues his points and gets nowhere with them. As a result he has completely alienated himself from everyone in the family except me. His relationship is estranged and stressful at best. I, on the other hand, have managed to keep the peace by harboring my own beliefs and following along with their traditions.

There have been times when my method was tested and came close to not working for me. One Christmas Eve my mother insisted that we al go to a midnight mass together. It was a difficult sell to her but, we weren't raised Catholic. And once I explained how uncomfortable it would be for all of us going into a ceremony with sit, stand, kneel and all of the other hystrionics involved without any knowledge of how all of it worked, we would all embarrass ourselves completely. She was disappointed but, eventually got the point and relented,

The bottom line for me is that I can handle feeling a bit awkward and uncomfortable. That's a lot easier to me than knowing that I've made them feel awkward and uncomfortable, Particularly when I'm in their house.

When I leave and I'm back on my turf, I'm back in my own element where I'm comfortable and can once again choose to act in accordance with how I feel.

It's just like being at the National Western Stock Show last night. When they sang the national anthem, I had no desire to take off my hat and hold it over my heart. It's a silly ritual which holds no significance to me. However, I did it. It didn't hurt me. Doing it, I really sacrificed nothing. Not doing it gains me a risk of getting my ass kicked by a cowboy whose had too many beers and thinks he's going to beat the patriotism into me. By doing it, I risk nothing. I lose nothing.

Duke Level 8 Jan 21, 2018

Do they still talk to you?

Iffy Level 5 Jan 20, 2018

Why? can I help? I will try.

You mean the "Angels" at the happy endings massage Parlor? I think they are awesome!

LOL! @Rugglesby

no never and I would not be embarrassed if it did.

About everyone I know, knows that I am atheist. If they pray I stand and wait for the food.

gearl Level 8 Jan 20, 2018

Sounds like a good idea. I pretend to close my eyes and think of other things. But I wouldn't hurt them. I am not any of the religions. I take bits and pieces I like here and there, and i have my own religion. All mine and secret. LOL. Religion is 1st amendment right. You can be what religion you want. Many peoples from different countries came here for freedom of religion. The only dogmatic American religion is Mormon. They sure have some whoospy doopsy ideas.

@BettyColeman What about Scientology?

I get along ok with my ex and her husband. They are holy rollers. Well at least my ex is now, I suspect he just goes along to keep the peace. They know where I stand. Anyway, I was having dinner with them and my children. After they got finished with their little prayer, my six year old son takes it on himself to announce, "Daddy doesn't believe in God.". Another time they did their prayer and afterwards he asked me, "Do you even understand these prayers?" I said, "No. Now please pass me them potatoes." I don't think my 12 year old daughter really believes in any of that crap. They asked her to say the prayer once and she refused. I remained quiet but in my mind I was saying, "You go girl."

Yeah, it can get awkward, especially because it is family. It sounds like you did the best thing. How did they react?

My friends and family all know I don't believe in any of that bullshit. I will maintain a respectful (for them) silence when they are doing their praying, but I do not participate.
Whenever asked a direct question about what I believe, I give an honest and direct answer.
I'm not the one with the delusions, I'm not hiding shit just to make them feel better. If they want to fight about it, I'll oblige them, depending on the setting.

Never easy. I once caught the eyes of my Niece's Mom and almost lost it laughing entirely! They had tiny children praying before the meal. And she was rolling her eyes at me. lol That being said I will not pray with them - but I will wait for them to be done. And asking if you believe in angels or god? Gees... they should expect any possible answer.

I only see my relatives on FB and funerals. I keep my conversations to secular events.

When asked a direct question I give a direct answer. Nothing to be embarrassed about, they should be the ones embarrassed for believing in such nonsense

Why would you be embarrassed? They're ignorant. You are enlightened, be proud of that. When others pray I sit quietly and let them get through their nonsense ritual. I am respectful of other's beliefs, but I will not be diminished in any way that I don't share it.

Yes. I told them the truth as well. I put it in a way so as not to offend (I hope).

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:16884
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.