Agnostic.com

14 14

"In religion and politics people's beliefs and convictions are in almost every case gotten at second-hand, and without examination, from authorities who have not themselves examined the questions at issue but have taken them at second-hand from other non-examiners, whose opinions about them were not worth a brass farthing." ~ Mark Twain, Autobiographical dictation, July 10, 1908

Some things never change.

VictoriaNotes 9 Jan 20

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

14 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

We do not have an ethical standard developed for our candidates which should be included in every race.In this manner a lie would automatically render the candidate dead. This would allow us then to establish the issues the candidate stands for . In addition I believe the campaigning should be shorten to 3 months before the election to reduce costs which should be publically funded without any corporation or lobbying funds.

Too many people are afraid to accept that their parents were full of crap and had no idea what they were doing.

One of the best books for our group is "Letters from the Earth". Lots of jabs at religion.

yes, it's mostly crap to subdue or divide and conquer the masses.

Religion was invented when the first con man met the first fool." - Mark Twain.May 14, 2009

so true

What's the expression "The more things change the more they stay the same"? by Jean-Baptist Alphonse Karr. I totally believe that but it bodes ill for the future.

When people question you they are actually questioning those you quote. Mark Twain, despite his shortcomings, was very aware of human short comings and the ridiculousness of religion.

@VictoriaNotes See my comment to silvereyes. You might get a laugh.

Lol- I couldn't agree more. The current sources of information that is available are propaganda usually.It appears quite creditable compared to the other sources found on social media. A question perplexed my mother as to if, now the late, Dr. Jack Kevorkian would perform assisted suicide on someone who was dying from terminal Alzheimers? I replied that I didn't know. About a month later my mother approached me and notified me that Dr. Kevorkian wouldn't perform assisted suicide on someone who was confused or didn't understand. My mother set the example of having a question and getting it answered from the source. That is what SHOULD happen, but the fear propaganda factories try to avoid direct contact with the truth.

Information transmission was far different then than now. These days, we have Fox News to tell us how things REALLY are...

Nice love facts about Samuel Clemens Found out not long ago he was a n unsuccessful gold miner. He was good friends with Nicola Tesela. Read Tom Sawyer a few years back had to break the dictionary out a few times with that one. He was so smart to get his book black listed just made it more popular.

And still applicable today!

oh but he/ she has such a nice hairdo

And still good today. and change the brass farthing to a wooden nickle.

Was Mark Twain a freethinker?

I agree with @irascible, Yes, Twain was a freethinker.

How do we know Mark Twain really said that? 😉

@NerdyOkieDude It was a joke.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:16953
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.