Agnostic.com

34 8

Did you ever notice about history?

I was a story and political science major in college which was a long time ago. Since then I have noticed that history especially seems always to be writtten from the perspective of the winner. In the 54years since I graduated i have been looking for a history book that told both sides of the story and have yet to find one that does so.I am very disappointed in this regard because i believe both sides have something of value to offer the researcher.Wouldn't it be great if the history books started giving both sides?

Marine 8 Sep 2

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

34 comments (26 - 34)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I did read a book entitled "Hitler through German eyes" and they were very supportive of him and what he did for their country following WW1.

"Once all battles are lost the war is over" just a line from a song but this reminded me of that. We don't look at it from that perspective.

"Once all battles are lost the war is over" just a line from a song but this reminded me of that. We don't look at it from that perspective.

Since the losers don't get to write the history books that is unlikely.

g

On the other hand, it takes almost overwhelming effort to un-do the years and decades of untruths, or outright lies that accompany tainted history. Any kind of obliteration of those lies and/or untruths may take lifetimes.

Have not seen a book with that point of view. If you watch The history of beer it reveals the other perspective.

"History is written by the victors. -- Winston Churchill.

It's rare when completely objective observers are the ones documenting history.
Unfortunate, but true.

@PalacinkyPDX I didn't say Churchill was right, or that I agreed with him.
I simply used his quote to highlight the point that Marine was making in his original post.
I'm a student of history. I'm very aware of how mainstream "education" is often skewed to favor the agendas of the "victors".

You haven't studied the Civil War much, have you?

This

The population of the winners must be made feel good about it. If you write that the other side are just as good people as we are, the country will be reluctant go war.
It's why every country has propaganda saying "we are the best"; it makes every conflict just.

For academic purposes, I wish it was not so. Without accurate information we can't make informed decisions.

Can you give an example of what you mean by the "winner?"

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:169646
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.