Agnostic.com

9 4

I became an atheist in 6th grade at my catholic school when I learned that eating meat on Friday was a made up sin by the church. I thought they were suppose to be helping us get to heaven, not making up new sins to stop us

michaelj 7 Jan 20

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Everybody has a hot button that makes them turn from religion. The problem is to find that button and push it. Most religious people are masters in hiding that button, helped by the church.

Gert Level 7 Jan 21, 2018

On the plus side, the whole fish on Friday thing guaranteed that even we kids in the 50s who weren't Catholic got a healthy meal at least once a week in public schools.

I also grew up in the Catholic machine. I didn't believe back then but I didn't know there was word for a lack of belief. Not until I was in my 20's did I actually consider myself an atheist.

Hello! Another former Catholic here. I realized I was agnostic (lean toward atheism) in the 6th grade after being fed all that BS for years and that I didn't believe what I was being taught. When we were told that it was a good thing that St. Maria Goretti chose to be killed by her rapist instead of letting him take her virginity, I was like..get the F out of here.

😮 "chose to be killed by her rapist..."
I have no words to describe my level of.... jaw dropped.

And that's how I found out I was allergic to both Fish and Peanut Butter.

At school they always served fish on Friday even though only minority of Public school was Catholic.

At school they always served fish on Friday even though only minority of Public school was Catholic.

the church and religion are about control. There must have been money involved.

And a nasty virus to the brain.

It is varied depending on religion. Hindu - Pig, Christianity - shellfish, Mormon - coke?

Mormom-caffeine

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:16973
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.