Agnostic.com

13 7

Role Model Role Call

Past or Present: Who is your favorite vocal atheist/ anti-theist/ freethinker/ humanist/ skeptic? What draws you to them?

MFAtheist 7 Sep 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

13 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Toss up between Bill Maher and Jim Jefferies.

Really Carl Sagan, but so many had already said him. Every little bit helps.

I just reposted that image on my pinterest page.

Carl Sagan. He made science fun and human, gave a great perspective, outwardly as well as inwardly. He is one of my heros.

I like carl sagan and richard feynman. they were funny and intelligent and caring, and how can you not like a scientist who wears a headband while playing bongos and chanting "juice juice juice, orange juice"? how can you not like a scientist who goes into detail about the fate of hypatia, and makes us feel as if a foremother of ours was murdered -- and make us cry, too, for the library of alexandria? and they didn't preach their atheism. they didn't preach. they taught us to see the world as it is. the fact is, that's a world without god, and clear vision shows that. their clarity shows that. they didn't have to say it.

g

Carlin, Nye, Tyson, Fry, Penn, and The Amazing Randy.

I like sceince because you can test it ask questions about it and never go to hell for not so in favor of some of the things it says

Also the bible is written like the first lawyers so you can cherry pick things to prove some stupid point

number 3 yes of course #4 of course stolen from other legends and fables 5 too The rumor is Jesus is a comglamortion of several people at the time.

There simply way too many to list.
But I can say that favor those who do talk about anti-religion, and yet are huge proponent of Reaching out to people about Science, and critical thinking.
That to me is more important than just bashing religion.
Dawkins, Tyson,Krauss,Nye, Thunderfoot, PZ Meyres.
just to name a few.

Don't get me wrong, I do love Those who fight the good fight so to speak in regards about Atheism.
Hitch, Harris, Darkmatter2525, Dillihunty, Carrier, and many others.

I've been really partial, lately, to Peter Boghossian and his concept of Street Epistemology. It seems such a softer way of interaction with those who hold certain beliefs based on faith, and while it doesn't bash or outwardly insult a person's faith or belief, it certainly doesn't let any religious claim off the hook either.

@MFAtheist I actually haven't read or heard anything from him.
I'll have to look him up.
Thanks for the tip.

Is Bill Nye a terrible answer, LOL? I'm a science teacher, and I just love listening to him get annoyed at people when he talks about creationism, abortion, dinosaurs, etc.! I really don't pay attention to anything related to religion in the world.

Bill Nye is by no means a terrible answer. Anyone who actively promotes science education and evidence as well as challenges the jaded views of what could be summed up as the brainwashed-Christian-right definitely earns a spot on this thread. Well done!

The comic/atheists, Carlin, Jefferies, Gervais. Straight to the point, no bullshit, and entertaining.

I always liked Richard Pryor's joke about vampires hating the cross, because vampires are allergic to bullshit!

I wouldn't call him a role model, but James Randi is who I first started reading when learning about scepticism.

He's earned the title of 'amazing'. He was definitely a gateway person on my journey towards not buying into nonsense.

The JREF is one of my favorite organizations.

I don't have one. I probably need to read more about it. When other people answer I will look up who they read. I just don't car enough about God and religion to read about it much.

I agree.
My role models and mentors have wide and varied beliefs. That doesn't matter to me.

I'm the same way.
While I do have some I do like that are trying to promote Atheism.
What really matters to me are the ones that promote the Scientific method, and critical thinking.

For you, your position at this time may be the best outcome. A few of the theist I de-converted, although they assert they could never go back to being a theist, do admit missing being able to relate to the vast majority of people in this area. In once case, she sees through the church's veil of falsehoods asserted as facts without evidence (faith). She now has a great deal of difficulty talking with most people as in these parts, most are theists and their supernatural assertions to her place them as ridiculous idiots not worthy of her time.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:170772
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.