Agnostic.com

63 4

What is your biggest fear?

As I get older, I see life very differently than I used to. How about you?

• 8 votes
  • 34 votes
  • 14 votes
  • 41 votes
  • 0 votes
  • 15 votes
  • 14 votes
  • 60 votes
Akfishlady 8 Sep 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

63 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Not pain but PAIN!

@Jone What does that mean?

Alzheimer's disease/dementia.

I have anxiety so being stuck in traffic on an overcrowded bus is the most unfortunate.

Being lonely. I was lonely in my last marriage.

Disappointing people whose opinions of me I value

Also clowns.

Mine seems to be coming true....growing old alone with no one to love me and care about me. It is such an awful feeling to realize that it what I’m facing for years and years.

Being chased by a dozen clowns. (being eaten by a shark is a close second)

partner or my children dying before me.

That GRRM will die before he finishes writing A Song of Ice and Fire

Marz Level 7 Sep 5, 2018

My worst fear is still death, but a right wing dystopia is quickly catching up to it.

Excruciatingly painful death.

Drowning, buried or burned alive

Never finding love again.

Losing a loved one.

My biggest fear is my daughter preceding me in death.

2155 Level 3 Sep 5, 2018

I don't want a lingering death. Death itself is fine. I've had friends pass with ALS, emphysema, and cancer. I've seen others struggle with crippling depression. It scares me.

Not being a here for my daughter.

I can't choose one, but muslim extremists aren't on MY list lol. christian extremists are, but that's covered by rightwing nuts. i think i am afraid of getting sick with no one to take care of me, while my guy with alzheimer's has no one to take care of him once he loses me.

g

Not being there for someone when they needed me most especially if it resulted in a loss or other catastrophic event

Freakin' spiders. Nothing else.

America turning into the Republic of Gilead.

mine is very specific. My daughter is grown, and will be traveling for work. So, when she is away, I live alone with my disabled son, who is non-verbal.

So - my greatest fear... having something catestrophic happen to me; an injury, a heart attack, or just death... and my son sits alone in this house with his dead father for days, unable to contact or help, or do anything be be afraid.

The second part of that fear is for whomever (likely my daughter) that finds the scene.

Very specific, sure. Also too likely.

Long term irreparably broken life choices that only manifest years later

Of those listed, poor health seems the most fundamental. Without health, you don't ultimately have sex, money, or a gentle old age. Even death becomes a chore.

Do I actively fear it? I'm pretty good at not fearing things that aren't actionable -- that I don't have more than limited control over. I try to take care of myself with exercise and diet and good medical care, and beyond that, what happens, happens.

I can always fly to Switzerland or someplace like that and have myself put down if things get too bad. Or in a pinch, do for myself.

As WC Fields said to comfort a fellow traveler as they free-fell down a mountainside in a basket: "Don't worry, my dear, it's perfectly safe, except for the last couple of inches."

I refuse to live with fear. When a problem arises I go to war to solve it - and that includes health issues, money. Sometimes other people can be a snag, but I recognize that we must share the world with all sorts of people who live in different "worlds." I do not fear death as I approach that age. If I were to fear anything it would be the ignorance of the main stream propagated by corporate greed. In addition, I do fear for new generations that will suffer because of it due to climate change and all that will bring.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:171094
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.