Agnostic.com

17 4

Atheism a religion?

Have you ever had someone tell you that atheism is equivalent to religion because the belief that there are no gods takes as much faith as the belief in them?

My usual response is "Atheism is as much a religion as off is a TV station." "Atheism is as much a religion as bald is a hairdoo."

RoboGraham 8 Jan 21

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

17 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

There is no difference between the two

Troll ladies and gents!

@GoldenDoll because I have taken this position at the moment I’m a troll? Fascinating analysis. This merely a discussion, a attempt by me to get different perspective. You do that by asking questions. To pull out the troll card is a sad response to questions. However you did not have to even engage this conversation at all. I’m truly fascinated by your conclusion of me. I have never attacked or sought to discredit anyone’s beliefs on this site and never will. Respectfully I can’t accept your statement about me.

@Outsideit67 - I'm glad you're fascinated by me. You're not the first. Different perspectives? Try a religious site.

@GoldenDoll I’m not religious, and this is a site that is very good for me . Peace be with you.

@Outsideit67 Thanks for the religious greeting.

It's not a religion but it is a belief

No

Not a religion.

Not a belief system.

I merely do not believe the claims of snake oil salesmen or theists.

Neither of them work, the only difference being snake oil existed.

Yes, but that’s yet to make them right 😀 Seems that’s their way of attempting to lump us into the same basket of ignorance they find themselves. Sorry religionite - we’re clean & pure and there's no comparison ~

Varn Level 8 Jan 21, 2018

Any time someone tells me Atheism is a "religion" of "belief system", I give them this look that signals to them that they're a dumb ass. Lack of belief is not belief, and Atheism shares no tenants that religion shares. There's no systems of worship, no rituals, no belief in the supernatural, nothing, it is simply a state of mind and conclusion of ones own perception of reality.

I don't get how people can't get basic definitions right when it comes to this sort of thing, they just gotta come up with some flimsy 'gotcha' argument that falls apart given an ounce of thought. The only real "belief system" I hold to is secular humanism. At least people are real, and I have more trust an "faith" in people and their potential than some imaginary bronze age nonsense.

there are 4 faceless users on this post, i find it hard to keep up, um which one are you again. Please, get an image! is it that hard to upload something!!!

I have issues with the words agnostic and atheist. I don't have any belief in a God or in a NotGod! Any claims require proof. For all I know there are rabbits living on the moon but I don't have a belief in it as I have seen no proof beyond a reasonable doubt.

It still is a belief in and of itself . Just as most religions believe in a supreme deity, Atheism is based on not believing in god/ religion. I have many friends that are each side of the street on this , and they all pretty much say the same things basically. I really don’t see why atheists would be upset about being categorized.

Abstaining from belief is not belief.

when the terminology and system of thought is the same then would it not be? Atheists are merely on the other end of the spectrum are they not , caught up in their on mentations. I appreciate your response and hopefully my comments aren’t viewed as a attack. I hear many atheists regurgitating the same things , automated responses is all.

@Outsideit67 I don't see your response as an attack. We are here to discuss our differing opinions and I'm glad that you are being polite about it. I do disagree with you here though. The systems of thought of theist and atheist are very different. They claim that there are supernatural entities and alter their behavior based on their beliefs. We atheist on the other hand, are not convinced so we lack belief.

It is not a belief, it is not surrendering our mind to a myth that has no fact in it. It is using our mind to figure things out. It is thinking for ourselves and not blindly following. If there was a provable fact in religion than atheists would admit it.

Therein perhaps lies a illusion, neither science nor religion has proven the other wrong. Both our based on totally different premise. The mind is fallible therefore anything that one perceives is only real or unreal to them. Science has been unable to prove how and why we are able to communicate and how we posit , just as religion has been unable to , yet the two are face in eternal conflict, both seeking to assert their stance ; nonetheless life continues on.

When you live in a box as theists do, anything one sees has to be described as a box. This is the pitiful poverty of thought where they exist. Buddhism is another example of putting something in a religious box. Really needs to be another name for the actual philosophy that has been so convoluted over the years by those with a religious agenda.

jeffy Level 7 Jan 21, 2018

No. But I think it’s belief based.

No, it is fact based and the lack of facts in religion.

There are no facts that demonstrate that god does not exist. It’s belief. @noworry28

@Gatovicolo There are no fact to demonstrate that god exist. But all those fables in the bible can be challenged as being inconsistent and proven to be false. God is a concept that was created by caveman to explain rain and thunder, and the seasons and things that they did not have the knowledge and science to explain. Then rulers and kings proclaimed themselves as man gods and demanded to be worshiped. Then fairy tales were written in ancient Egypt, Greece, India and Rome about a group of gods and people said ok I will worship them. Now fables are written saying that there is only one god that lives in the sky, and people say ok I will worship him. No facts and no proof. Now its ancient aliens to some and people say ok I will believe that.

I agree. That has zero to do with the chance that God exists. @noworry28

My nephew tried to tell me that believing in "nothing" is believing in something. I can't get him to understand that atheism isn't "believing in nothing", it's simply a lack of belief.

Yeah, his argument implies god has to be or not- logical fallacy of false dichotomy. The real alternative is everything is as it is without "a leader". Hard for the "sheeple herd brain" to handle - no disrespect to your nephew of course..

No offense to my nephew taken. He isn't a believer he just likes to argue.

Atheism is not a religion...it’s a conclusion.

There's no faith. It's a no on everything.

Of course not. A religion is a total system ideology (one which purports to explain or include everything with a dogma supporting belief in a god or deity. Not believing in a god meets NONE of those characteristics.

Theism is a belief system based on faith. Atheism is a non-belief system based on evidence, facts and data or lack thereof.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:17122
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.