Agnostic.com

237 27

Boyfriend is agnostic, I'm an atheist. How to cope with disagreements?

So lately, I have been discussing my views with my boyfriend because he's one of the very few I can open up to about being an atheist (due to living in the bible belt and having many religious friends). When it comes down to our difference in views, we begin to butt heads a little because he seems to lean towards the Christian view of a god being the cause of the universe and has no logic to support his argument. I will ask, then who created God or what could his origin possibly be? And he will say nothing, just that God was the beginning of everything. Then he will try to backpedal and say "only IF there is a god would this be the case" but it's obvious he believes it or really wants to. He grew up with a dad who was Jehova's witness and a Catholic mother so he was influenced probably a lot more than I was as a child by religion. I know it can be difficult to let those ideas go but what bothers me is that he defends the ideas with no logic. He even defends the bible as being a good guide to life, NEVER HAVING READ IT. I have, as I was forced to attend confirmation classes, and I suggested he do so before we discuss it. He says he won't. I love him but this is so frustrating. Obviously I feel it is easier to have a relationship with someone who is agnostic than a religious person, but does anyone have suggestions for how to have these conversations without letting the differences come between a couple? I really appreciate any advice.

TaliaElizabeth92 5 Oct 18

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

237 comments (126 - 150)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Any relationship where the two people don't agree on basic principles of life would be less satisfying than being on the same page with someone. Hopefully he is a good cook, good in bed, a funny guy, or treats you nice. Otherwise, it is a tough road to walk down alone.

Read "The Righteous Mind" (Why good people differ about politics and religion) it will help both of you understand the other and might help you get along easier.

lerlo Level 8 Dec 23, 2017

Among atheists, it's become accepted as gospel (pun intended) that matters of religion should be considered logically. But we don't think about everything logically, do we? We don't think about love logically. We don't think about family logically. So if your boyfriend is merely open to the possibility of God, if he doesn't affirmatively believe in it, then why is it so objectionable that he thinks about it in an illogical way? Why is it so important that his thoughts about religion be different from how any one of us thinks about the love we have for a spouse, or the loyalty we might have toward our family? Human beings aren't always logical, but as long as your boyfriend is a good person, what should it matter that he leads with his feelings or his right brain on matters of religion?

Reading your story, I believe your boyfriend to likely be an agnostic theist. And I agree with what a lot of the others have commented. You have to be pragmatic in deciding how much this will effect you. I'm sorry you're going through this.

Let it be. In the words of the Beatles. Just let it be. You have to let others believe what they want and rejoice in your common love. If you love them, just say you look at things differently and just love them more for being who they are.

If you are arguing abut religion while you are only boyfriend and girlfriend, I would suggest finding a new boyfriend, If you ever have children together it can rip you apart.
Plus he sounds like a believer trying to lie to keep you as his girlfriend.

Why must we keep explaining and providing proof that our "beliefs" are the absolute truth? It's a never ending pissing contest and considering neither side has anymore factual data than the other, where are these "great debates" going anyways? I feel this is all very simple- keep working towards the truth and don't be afraid of how you have to get there. Be it by peering through space or some goddamn Divine Intervention in a bathroom stall, be open and willing to admit that you might have been wrong OR if evidence shows you might have been a little more right, be ready to support those whose worlds have just been flipped.
"Prove it, prove it, prove it". How can I prove to you why I believe classic country music is the absolute best and your KISS album is crap? It is my belief and it's none of my business what you think of me.
Don't get me wrong- I love sharing and exchanging ideas and stories but not if those things are later used to ridicule my intelligence (or lack of) on a social media site while I'm secretly praying in the bathtub because I'm too afraid of your judgement if you knew I kinda a little bit wondered if there was a god. Poor guy!
Here's the important stuff- is he kind? Does he have your best interests in mind? Does he have a job, is he worth a damn in the sack? And does he like KISS? Ugh.

The title says, "Boyfriend is agnostic". NOT. He is definitely religious. I have known people who stopped going to church and yet associate themselves with some denomination of christianity. Your boyfriend seems to fall into that category. You might need to start seeing him as a believer and not argument the existence of God/god. If this is the person with whom you want to spend the rest of your life, start by getting out of the fog.

Compromise is Essential for a lasting relationship, whether religion, politics, or theories of child-raising, to name just a few. Some things you can successfully "agree to disagree" and then leave it alone. I believe politics & religion, or lack of it, or the form it takes, should be best served by giving the other person's views' respect. Pick your battles!

Don't open this subject. If you can.Tell him to respect your view, and you will do the same. Don't try to change his opinion. If he want to talk about this, tell him to do it just if he can explain and sustain with evidence.
Otherwise, he can not try to.

At first I just looked at your "top" question and was going to say don't argue, your differences aren't substantive, they're epistemological.
However, as other commenters are saying, your guy seems intellectually unqualified or attitudinally unwilling to actually own, articulate and defend agnosticism--which simply says, we can't really know, so I'm not committing one way or the other. It SHOULD also imply skepticism about the existence of a god, but that depends on to what degree one takes "creation" as evidence for a "Creator."
You should have him read Hume's definitive dialogues, especially the one demolishing the analogy relating "God" to being a master watchmaker.
As you point out, your bf shrugs off the infinite regress argument against the idea that a God of some sort is necessary as "cause" of the universe. But even my son, at age 8, considered the idea of such a necessity specious and unwarranted. Almost all kids, as far as I can tell, initially say "Then who created God?"--then later they succumb to societal pressure in many cases.

don't worry, people of the same religious believes tend to disagree as well.

haslr Level 3 Dec 15, 2017

As an atheist, it should be irrelevant what he does or does not believe. Is it import to you that he share your view point? If you had children would this cause trouble? If so, maybe move on. If not, let him believe how ever he sees fit.

Alrighty. Well honestly your boyfriend sounds pretty similar to myself. I grew up Jehovah's Witness and my father was initially Catholic but converted(then went back to Catholicism after my parents divorced. Lolz!).

Anyways, for me finally taking the past steps from agnostic theist to agnostic atheist didn't come from speaking to atheists. Giving up your faith in favor of logic when faith is such a huge part of your life is difficult. I fought tooth and jail to keep my faith. What put me over the edge was after studying the topic for a while I started talking to other theists as a skeptic. I kept my belief out of the conversations and simply asked questions from a neutral point of view. Listening to their answers, mind you many of which I gave to atheists asking the same questions, I began to realize just how utterly ridiculous they sounded. When I have those answers I rationalized it and did mental backflips in my head for them to make sense. Hearing it outloud from someone else I found it was a lot harder to rationalize those claims.

Why does religion, or lack of it, or whatever - have to play a part in your relationship at all? You're both on different paths in that subject, not a big deal. Why do you have to agree? Do you both like the same foods? The same people? Do you both agree on literally everything else? As an atheist, I firmly believe I have a right to not believe as much as others have a right to believe, or even be unsure about it. You two are sharing your journeys with each other - you're not on the same journey. Let him find his way. He will find his truth, let him enjoy that journey for himself. You did, maybe it is his turn. <3 Love and support to you and him! <3

You do not have an agnostic boyfriend. You have a non-denominational boyfriend. His beliefs are non-dogmatic, but clearly rooted in Abrahamic tradition. An agnostic is not someone who follows no particular religion. An agnostic is someone who does not feel confident that a god (or gods) exist, or not.

You can in fact be an agnostic and a theist. The two are not mutually exclusive. Agnostic just means you don't know. Theism or atheism deal with belief. Not knowledge. So he could very well not know if God exists but believe he does anyway.

If you are a good Christian you will study "to show yourself approved"...If you are a good atheist/agnostic you will study to show proof. I wonder if he is agnostic; maybe he's just trying to get somewhere in between like on the fence. My DH was raised pentecostal and his best friend was athiest. Depending on the situation sometimes he would say he was pentecostal and sometimes he would say he was athiest! He just was what he wanted to be at any given time. We did not argue the point. But if it is important to you that he and you be the same you might want to take a second look at does it really matter to you what he believes because I doubt he knows.

Let god sort it out.

Be open-minded.

Treat him with the respect and caring you would with anyone else who has been abused. Keep in mind the fact that all religious organisations practice brainwashing in some form or another.....this includes athiests and agnostics. Personally I feel no need for a god, because the spirits I believe in, require no worship, no dogma, no donations, and make no promises. He, on the other hand may have been beaten, embarrassed, excluded, or, threatened into a state of confusion and fear. It's amazing what sunday school teachers will allow their "Good" students to get away with against a "Bad" student.

Find an Atheist boyfriend? I have no idea having tried many times in this situation on how to do it since their is such a wide gap in the systematic view of life, nature and our responsibility to act as humans to save humanity from either Religion or just....non caring.

And does he respect your difference of opinion? That matters.

I was married to a fine Christian man. Certainly we disagreed on the subject of religion, but we were compatible in so many ways. We admired and respected that person we married. Disagreement is mandatory. Unpleasantness is not.

Of course the bible contains some good advice, some history, some good guidance, but it contains so much bad and outdated advice (stoning a woman if she's not a virgin upon marrying, "an eye for an eye", etc.,) and so many dangerous, destructive and outrageous myths that it, like other sources of information, has to be evaluated with a rational mind. Much of its wisdom is repeated in other faiths, also.

Ask yourself about your BF. Is he moral? Does he behave responsibly? Do you admire and respect him? Do you think he is a decent citizen? Would he make a good father? These things are more important than "Does he agree with me in all things?" My husband and I had 35 happy years before his death. No, I wasn't pleased about his being a Christian. But I was very pleased about so many other things about him. Good luck to you both.

You are in a tough spot because you love him. The best way to handle this would probably be to agree not to discuss religion. Your other option is to cut and run. It all depends on how important this disagreement is to you. You also need to consider things down the road- if you have children, is he going to want to fill their heads with that BS?

Just agree to disagree or break it off, IMO.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:1738
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.