Agnostic.com

39 3

Does ' pro-lifer' always identify a religious person?

Referring to a fetus as a child - saw it in a member post, raises the religious flag in my opinion.
As an atheist/agnostic do you use the scientific term 'fetus' and eschew terms such as 'unborn child'?

AmiSue 8 Jan 22

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

39 comments (26 - 39)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

A fetus, when it can differentiate itself as "I", and experience with its developing senses, is a human being. It is murder of an innocent human being. It is a choice sometimes made to save the life of the mother, and others to end the suffering of a horribly malformed fetus. Everything else is convenience...the convenience to kill.

Yes. Without religion, a fetus is just a parasite living off its host until it is viable outside the womb. No one is arguing over tapeworm lives.

AxeElf, are you deliberately missing my point or do you really not understand I was making the point both tapeworms and fetus cannot exist outside their host. Outside of morality, which is dictated by religious dogma, no one would argue a parasite's life is more valuable than it's fully cognizant, functioning, human host. And yet when a pregnant woman is ill or injured, there is much debate and handwringing over whose life deserves saving. Unless its a case of the mother being too ill or wounded to likely survive, or has made HER express wishes known, I don't even see why this is a dilemma. To walk the pregnancy clock back farther, if a fetus cannot survive on its own, it is not life, it is life potentiate. Furthermore, irrespective of religious dogma and morality, what do you care what I do to MY body?!

@Eponymous well said.

I think of fetus as a medical term, I could be wrong. I guess being an atheist doesn't guarantee one has rational thinking capacity. I was cringing while reading that comment you allude to, the same as I would if reading a religious diatribe.

I have meet pro-lifers who were atheist. I think there is a strong correlation but its not 1-to-1.

One person I knew who was not religious but a theist told me that in her mind it should only be used for psychological or physical help.

I am not saying what I think I am just reporting what I have heard.

I use 'fetus'. I would never use the term 'unborn child'.
Although, I do not automatically consider anyone who claims to be pro-life to be religious.
I do, however, automatically consider anyone who claims to be pro-life to be a meddling pain in the ass.

You go girl!!!

I use fetus and believe VERY strongly in a woman's right to choose. I would not tell another human what to do with her life for a year. I'm not sure I have met anyone who is anti-abortion and not religious... Maybe I should get out more. It would be a curious conversation.

I am pro choice-women's rights. I word use the term fetus.

I dunno, but I have always thought that vegans who swallow cum shouldn't consider themselves vegan.

I would say most Christians are pro-life and most pro-life people are Christians. However, I wouldn't say it necessarily means they are. A belief that life is precious and worth saving can be just as much an atheist belief, especially since we don't even believe there is anything more after death. My personal beliefs differ from that mindset but I can grasp the concept.

Oddly enough - in the US Christians who are 'pro life' are often 'pro death penalty' too. What gives?

I've used the term child instead of fetus in the context that the parent(s) have decided that they want the child. It seems fitting given the intent.

It seems religion is too strongly associated with this controversy and perhaps as the novelty of the guy in sky thing becomes old and tired; their only perceived source of continued relevancy is to stir up a big old pot of social issues where their definition of "good and bad" aligns with their warped translation of an old, poorly translated book with omitted chapters. By the way - It's a fetus, an embryo or a zygote.

Not necessarily but most often it is used by religious people. I never refer to a fetus as an unborn child as I think it is ridiculous until the fetus is at or near full term.

I also think the pro-life label is misleading as typically pro-life people are not supporters of life once a person is born. I think most pro-choice people support life more than the supposed pro-lifers. Things like prenatal care, healthcare, education, and so on.

My daughter is definitely not a religious person yet she is pro-life in that she chose to have 2 children when it would have been to her advantage not to have them. She does not vote with the evangelical pro-life movement however and supports a woman's right to choose.

Anti abortion/pro choice, that's my stand on that one.

I made a similar choice. I will vociferously defend a woman's right to choose BECAUSE I know the true costs of that choice.

Possibly not. I've seen plenty of anti-abortion protesters specifically separating themselves from any religious component of the debate. Perhaps it's just a trick...

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:17411
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.