Agnostic.com

11 3

LINK Should I get the flu vaccine? What to know before flu season

The recommendations are: Kids should get the flu SHOTS; everyone should vaccinated; and one major hospital (U of PITT) is using only the vaccinations made w/o eggs (FLucelvax and FluBlok), as there is some evidence that these might work better than those that are are made from eggs. The elderly should receive the high-dose vaccine and get a pneumonia vaccine.

BookDeath 8 Sep 8

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

11 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

and the immune-system compromised should seriously consider not getting vaccinated at all.

g

It's your choice,I've heard a lot of horror stories of affects after the shot,I'm 71,never had the shot or had the flu,seldom get a cold,good immune system I guess.

I always thought the shots were bullshit. But I have a very close friend with immunodeficiency and I get it for her and others that are at risk of exposure to the flu triggering other major, and potentially life threatening issues.

I forego the flu shot & keep Tamiflu around. Seems the years I've cracked & gotten a flu shot I've caught everything under the sun. The last flu shot I had was the swine flu years ago, '09?

I won't ever get the flu vaccine. I don't ever get the flu. I don't even get colds. I used to work with kids, and with kids, one or more of them are always sick. I had coworkers who were sick all the time, and some of my friends I hang out with are sick all the time. I never catch their cold or flu or worse. I keep myself healthy, eat right, and keep my immune system strong.

That said, young children, seniors, and people with compromised immune system probably should get the shot, as per recommendation of their physician. I'm not an anti-vaxxer.

Rest,low stress(nice to say,but sometimes impossible to do),eat what keeps you healthy,seems to work for me at 71.

@Mike1947 I don't ever rest but my energy level is insane. Stress is hard to manage but I try. The key for me is eating healthy, getting balanced nutrition without eating meat, dairy, egg, and other animal products. I don't eat junk food or fast food. I don't smoke, drink, do drugs. And, I don't go crazy cleaning everything to the point of eliminating all germs so I get exposure to them and develop some level of immunity.

I have never had a flu shot, hardly ever had a cold. So I think I will wait

The flu shot does not guarantee you won't get sick. It, however, does lessen symptoms faster recovery time. Without vaccinations, there would be a lot more sickness and suffering.

In my line of employment, I have contact with the public and an at-risk population, so I get a flu shot. I also get my son a flu shot.

Already seeing lots of flu cases in Texas. Years ago we could opt out of the flu shot. I never did or do. Now if you opt out, it’s required that you wear a mask the entire time your are in the hospital during flu season. My kids and I got our shots this week.

All adults over 65 are called in by their GPs to get the flu vaccine each autumn in the UK. I always take it. We get it free on the NHS, and I do know some people who don’t go in and get it, they are relying on “herd immunity” from the rest of us who do. I had a great uncle who died in 1919 after surviving WW1 when the Spanish flu epidemic swept the world and killed thousands.

Vaccine has been around my entire lifetime and it does make a difference with many diseases. Ideas that it causes autism are very lame and just make money for the ones writing books on that subject. Many diseases were eradicated in my lifetime by vaccines i. e. that today you seldom see people with polio. I knew a few when I was young.
Will I get the flu vaccine this year? You bet! Will it prevent anything? Maybe not. It you get the vaccine and do get the flu it still may help you get well quicker. At best getting the vaccine is like flipping a coin. This is because they have only "guessed" at which flu strain is coming. Nobody knows for sure. Also be aware that influenza is one of the biggest killers in the world. It kills young and old. It is wise to immunize.

That whole Autism nonsense has been debunked. The anti vaxxers continue to put thier own children and the people in our our communities that are immunodeficient at risk.

@Green_eyes Think the newest research debunks the flu autism myth. I have heard 2 possibilities that could be the Autism culprit. Men over 45 something with our DNA seems to be altered causing birth defects. The other possible culprit is polyethylene glycol (Miralax ) since it was released the number of birth defects has skyrocketed.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:174194
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.