Agnostic.com

16 8

Are you unusually sensitive, too?

My daughter Claire, 28, shares my intensity, high energy and high tolerance for pain. Two years ago, I drove to Seattle to give Claire birthday presents. During lunch we had a fascinating conversation about coping techniques.

"My intensity is too much for some people," Claire said. Ditto.

Like Claire, I feel the atmosphere about me too acutely: the stealthiest shifts in wind direction, ozone level, barometric pressure. Sometimes it's almost too much to bear.

Coping techniques: we both do yoga, exercise, lift weights, meditate, breathe deeply and... wait for it... fidget to expel overflowing energy. I'm a foot wiggler. Sleeping with Claire is like sleeping with a tornado. Humor helps.

Mediation grounds and centers me. It slows me down, always a good thing. Sleep is wonderful because it resets my nervous system and heals tiny muscle tears from weightlifting.

But we both enjoy our intensity, high energy, high intelligence, searching minds, sensuality and humor. This makes us who we are, and immeasurably enriches our lives.

There are many aspects of heightened senses and intensity. Perception shifts depending on how you look at it, like an intricately patterned gourd.

Does this resonate with you?

How do you manage your intensity?

LiterateHiker 9 Sep 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

16 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I, too, feel enriched by my heightened senses. While it can be maddening at times because of over stimulation, it also makes me greatly appreciate things that many take for granted. I can see the tiniest variances in color...nothing is just red to me...it is red with a violet undertone, red with an orange tint, etc. etc. I have exceptional hearing and can detect who is walking toward my office by the sound of their footsteps. I smell flowers that have yet to put out their full range of fragrance (which makes me crazy when I smell cheap colognes). I taste every note in a wine, cigar or food. I feel the weather...when it will rain, when it will be stormy.

How do I deal with the intensity? Like you, I workout...I listen to soothing music...I have lots of sex (granted, a lot of solo flights)...I read everything...I find humor in life and laugh as much as I can...I don't hang with negative nellies...I turn off the TV...I fidget still but not outwardly...my mind searches for people like me so all of this energy can be utilized mutually...

Thanks for posting again, friend...you make me feel "normal"...

@thinktwice

You just described me. Twins. THANK YOU for your wonderful, insightful comment.

Like you, I see the tiniest variations in color. Read everything. Find humor and joy in life. Surround myself with positive people. With a busy, searching mind, sleep is healing.

Driving over Blewett Pass, I stopped at a lodge and bought a chewy, peanut butter-honey cookie. Swooned eating it. I could taste all the ingredients. Afterward, I duplicated the cookie at home.

@LiterateHiker Funny how you mentioned sleep...it is my go to for dealing with stress...it renews me and I don't let anything interfere with my need to sleep...I can sleep anywhere instantly...even slept through an earthquake! ha

I am going to make it a point to visit you...I suspect we would be instant friends! lol

One thing about this site that some of the other dating sites don't do is change your age. It is done immediately so there is no hiding.

@fidla It is not a dating site in the formal sense. One has a choice of seeing others or being a part of the community.

I'm very emotionally high strung but not really that sensitive to physical sensations. My therapist says it's due to my past trauma. I'm hoping it will fade in time because any degree of stress can literally put me into a state of shock. It's exhausting.

Yes I have all of those symptoms and I went to a psychiatrist and they diagnosed me as bipolar so if you are bipolar it's a double-edged sword you get all these wonderful creative talents but on the other hand you have an incredibly overwhelming emotional response to everything and it feels like you wear your nerves on the outside of your skin I have dealt with Mine by making my life a very peaceful Serene place I also stay Physically Active which helps out to burn out the physical part of it and I spent many years in the martial arts training myself in meditation and stretching techniques all of these things together keep my life in balance

Drsmash253

My brother is a genius with a photographic memory. He was diagnosed with bipolar disorder at age 16.

No, I don't have bipolar disorder. We children were all tested for IQ and more by a psychiatrist, when my brother was diagnosed. We all are geniuses. No surprise there.

Both of my sisters have depression disorder.

I only get seasonal affective disorder (SAD) in the winter when days are short in Washington State. I lose my appetite.

Exercise, snowshoeing, hiking, vitamin D, and full spectrum lights help me in the winter. I stay happy all year long.

[seattletimes.com]

I have always said if I used one word to describe my life it would be GO!!! Hiking, swimming, two hours in the gym every day, loved change. I worked on a cargo ship, lived in France for three years, worked in an orphanage in France, logger, janitor, own janitoiral service, real estate, life insurance, securities, handy man, building manager. In 2014 I was hit by a truck while on my motorcycle, nothing was broken but everything hurt and still hurts. I cannot seem to get any energy back and struggle to just do some very rudimentary exercises. I still do some walks and camping but everyday gets better. I think now it is totally a mental thing and have started challenging myself but what was natural is now a struggle to accomplish the simple stuff.

Man , I must be the most boring person in this planet ?
When things get too much to feel and too much to think and too much to handle , I just make another cup of coffee . I have never been in a gym . Any sport that requires any performance , I don't have the courage for after 16 hrs shifts at ED . Getting in my car for a car ride w music is the only thing that I might do . Fun fact , I can't read a map .. GPS not my friend either . I have often just got in the car and drove the 30 miles to work and back , just bcz familiar , plenty of water / bay to look at , and minimum attention required . I envy u all for been so active .

I have a high tolerance for pain but I cannot stand tiny metal pieces in close proximity to my skin.

Yes it resonates. Though I manifest this physically much less that I used to; for example I not longer fidget with my feet, tap my hand and so on. I used to be a tornado in bed as well. No more.

Where I do get wound up is the level of nonsensical, ideology-driven thinking so common today. That's the atmospheric condition that bothers me the most.

See, I oscillate. Part of me is a lazy fucker, who would just curl up on a couch with a book and a large drink. The other bit bounces around like a flea in a dog circus. Or dog in a flea circus. Both work.
This comes through in my musical tastes. It's mostly fast, mostly awful. A lot is very fast, very awful. Punk, ska, thrash/death/math metal, hardcore techno, gabber house, jungle, psychobilly... all 160 - 240 BPM.
Love a good mosh. Can still keep up with the kiddies.
Exercise wise, I've just moved house and changed jobs, so I've got to sort something out local - I can feel myself flubberizing. Combat sports with a high cardio component or indoor rock climbing - gym/jogging/lane swimming leaves me cold.

@MrBeelzeebubble

Love your sense of humor! You are hilarious. "I can feel myself flubberizing." HA!

You are a funny, descriptive writer! Thanks for the laugh.

@LiterateHiker doffs trilby in the lady's direction

Let’s see, golf, tennis, hiking and camping, off road motorcycles skiing, guitar and I run a manufacturing business. I seem to have this need to be active a lot.

Me, too. Hiking, weightlifting, running, yoga, stretching, cooking, volunteering and registering high school students to vote. Book club, Democrats of North Central Washington, Visioners for Peace, etc.

My women's hiking group has boiled down to three strong hikers: Karen, Gro and me. In the winter, we keep going on snowshoes and micro-spikes.

@LiterateHiker It’s like we’re the type being drug kicking and screaming into old age!

@Dhiltong

Although I just turned 65, I feel like a 12-year-old.

"You have the body of an 18-year-old," men say when they see me naked (she said modestly).

Here's my back in 2016. I wanted to see if I had any back muscles.

@LiterateHiker Nice Back!

@LiterateHiker WOW ☺ Would love to see that in person.

I'm still learning how to.

So far exercise is the best for me.

Like you weight lifting (I visited our expanded gym today but couldn't do anything but look). I am trying to meditate but looking for different methods.

You'd better stay clear of China!

Positives:

Deeply pleasurable, sensual and ecstatic experiences bring joy and pleasure to my life.

Mini-orgasms. Smelling beautiful, fragrant roses. "OH! Smell THIS one!" I cried, running from rose to rose at the Portland, Oregon Rose Garden. After an hour, I had olfactory overload. I smelled nothing.

Not to put too fine a point on it, but great sex. As a musician, I have a rhythmic body and hands. The mind is the best sex organ. Enough said.

As years have progressed, I have somewhat lost the level of sharpness I once enjoyed.

As for high-level; does not apply. Aside from becoming a high level showman when I have an audience of youth, (I am a teacher) or while debating theists, or on stage as an actor or musician, I am generally reserved energy with a quiet and content disposition.

As for managing other emotions such as stress, I have found profound apathy about events outside my control is the best coping mechanism. Escaping into the landscape of fine music is also a effective mind state altering medication.

the only thing that resonates is the foot-wiggling. i do that. it doesn't bother me. the rls does. i kick!

g

@genessa,

Thanks for your reply. What does "rls" stand for?

@LiterateHiker restless leg syndrome. it is exacerbated by antidepressants, and alleviated by antiparkinsonians. i am not on either med so it's there, but not as bad as it could be.

g

@genessa

Thank you for clarifying. I appreciate it.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:175921
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.