Agnostic.com

29 6

I have a friend who doesn’t have any friends.

Bravelyranaway 4 Jan 23

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

29 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

This is not an oxymoron. I don't know that the OP meant anything deep and meaningful, but there are certainly some interesting things to consider in this simple sentence.

Friendships can be completely one sided. I can love someone who doesn't love anyone. I can have a child that has no children. I can have a friend who has no friends. It just means that someone offers me friendship, help, loyalty and love and I give them nothing in return and neither does anyone else.

That is very true; I didn't think of it that way when the guy did this post. Now I feel like a dumb ass that learned something new.

It's a paradox! I'm surprised a black hole hasn't developed around him.

Best to unfriend him just in case.

Lol

he has got a friend. you. what defines a friend anyway? I've got shitloads of acquaintances but only about 2 friends apart from my dogs and mum.

Paradoxical directive.

Over/under on number of people who won't get it?

He has at least one friend and that’s you.

I have one friend.

That's all one really needs

I don't. I dropped everyone three years ago. I have people who come over irregularly ( maybe once a month) but other wise, I don't need that. What are you questioning here? Or how are you concerned? And honestly why?

Ambiguity isn't bad in the 21st.

Well, he's got one...at least, right?

May be ur friend request was not accepted in facebook

So, what you're saying is that you have a friend that doesn't think enough of you to consider you as a friend.

Lol. A paradox, nice.

Aren't you their friend?

Well, that friend does have a friend and it's you.

Huh!

That sentence is self contradictory.

because you are nobody?

I love it when I can put 10 words or less together and just sit back and watch. The commentary has been very interesting! I didn’t know what to make of the site and that’s the first thing that I said to everyone here. The verdict is in… I dig you people!

We he has to have at least one friend? You did say he was your friend?

It's a peculiar thing, friendship, isn't it? Due to "circumstances beyond my control", I recently had to move away from my social network, and some very good friends. We still communicate, but it's different now, obviously. It seems that throughout life the number of friends, and the characters of those friendships changes with our status in the world, and of course, with age.

A few months ago, a childhood friend expired. We weren't terribly close the last few years, but still whenever we did get together, we picked up as though it had only been a short while since we last met up. I went to see him in his last 2 weeks, or so, before he passed on, and I tried (and succeeded to some extent) to make him laugh by bringing up some of the crazy stuff we did in our misbegotten youth. He was a very bright guy, and a devout Christian. Of course, his religiousness made no difference to me; he was my good friend, and he was dying. He never tried to "convert" me.

At his memorial, I kept thinking, " Should I get up and say something?" But, it seemed the speakers were pre-designated, and in fact, seemed to know him much better than I. I suppose he was always 18 year-old Josh to me; though, at that age, he was called Elvin. I also went by a different name at that age, and I don't know if he thought of me as that person when we got together. Doesn't matter now.

So, now I still consider Josh my friend, even though he truly exists only in the hearts of minds of those who knew and loved him.

He has a friend...you.

Well, that friend does have a friend and it's you.

What's your friend's name - the one who has no friends?

Is it JIM or JACK?

Because JIM is also my friend. And he's always a bastard to everyone - so he has no friends.

I have a lot of acquaintances but only a couple whom I call friend. My late husband and I considered each other our best friend. Lived in each other's pocket a lot. Not a good idea.

Oh I got it! You are talking about yourself. Your friend is yourself! Ding! Ding! Ding! What do I win?

Ahhh! Yeah! I got it now: "I'm my own friend."

But it could also be your last reply.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:17610
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.