Agnostic.com

29 4

How Prepared Are You For Death?

None of us like to think about it but Death is something which eventually happens to us all.

How prepared are you currently if you died? Do you have life insurance to assist with burial or cremation expenses? Or perhaps the insurance money would be used to ensure the love ones you leave behind are more financially sound.

Do you have a Will to designate how your assets are distributed?
More importantly who will you designate to oversee your assets and continue your legacy?

For you parents with under age children, have you considered arranging Legal Guardianship for the children you leave behind to ensure their well being after you are gone. What if your children are given to a relative that is totally unfit to raise them properly?

I hope this doesn't make anyone sad. I thought this was a good topic because when my brother died suddenly from cancer many years ago, He had no life insurance. My Mom and myself basically had to pay to bury him. It can be a burden on a family when there is an unexpected death of a family member who is not prepared to die.

Please Tell Me What You Think.

• 31 votes
  • 15 votes
twshield 8 Jan 23

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

29 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Already donated my body to science.

You know, that actually takes some guts!

I won't be using it, might as well put it to good use. I like to think my body will be launched into orbit via an extremely large cannon, just to see what happens. Lol j/k.

I've always had an interest in neuroscience, that's why I chose to donate my body.

@twshield our whole anatomy class was on prosections

Prepared, yes. Ready? Nope. I have things to do and people to love. 🙂

Prepared to donate my body to science, smile one last time before closing my eyes permanently and leave this world forever.

I have funeral expenses covered, as cheap as possible because, hey, I'll be dead & won't give a hoot! The leftover money can go to an Irish type wake & I'll get everyone drunk & maudlin one last time, with hopefully some giggles thrown in. Take my organs & cremate the rest, even let student doctors mess with the body beforehand if anyone is interested. I doubt I'll feel any pain!

I would just like to add one very important thing that a lot of people do not know, Power of Attorney is no longer valid once the person has died. If you are a POA (power of attorney) this is only valid while the person you are POA for is ALIVE. After death, you have no "power" .. We meet with a lot of people who don't know this, ( just today for example) Also , i'm speaking for Canada, this law may be different in the USA or other countries, so DO check with the proper authority.

@twshield LOL

This is not a "sad " topic, just today I met with someone to arrange for the spouse's cremation. it would have benefitted her SO much had she called us first, but she called the bank.. big NO. once the bank knows about the deceased, they freeze the account, which is fine but there is usually money to be moved around prior to this.. Lesson: Meet with a funeral director before you do anything. we arent lawyers but we can give you some advice if there is no will (as there was not in today's case) ps. have a lawyer do a will its about $400. (canadian) and will save you a lot of stress, plus, pre pay your arrangments, and its done. PM me if you have any general questions, Im a funeral home owner, funeral director and embalmer.

Meh..just going back to nothing..same place I came from..has anyone been put under with general anaesthesia?.
You here, then Nothing till woken..so that is what I expect, except for the waking up part..

I'm a long way from dying at an ideal age, but death is an unexpected visitor, so that inevitability can strike at any time. I'm only 29, don't have any sort of will or anything as such because we youngsters generally don't think about it that much.

Now I do have plans generally set out in the event of death, but codifying it into a will would be the next step. I want to be cremated and have a non religious and low key funeral all things considered. What family would want to do with my ashes is up to them, I don't care. I'd just rather be cremated so my corpse and casket aren't taking up space that would be better used.

Valuables can be handled as family sees fit, they're of no worth to me anymore. Money though is a different story. If I die without leaving behind a family, all my money would likely go to a good charity or cause, otherwise I'll just be shared with family.

Now if I found out right now I only had a year to live or whatever, then I'm taking all my wealth and living it up for myself dammit.

Your body in the ground would be serving a good purpose. At least cemeteries are preserved open space.

I don't have anyone depending on me for financial support, but I have about $40,000 in life insurance that'll go to my adult children. I have informed them that I want my corpse donated to a forensic research facility.
I'm prepared, but not in a hurry.

JimG Level 8 Feb 8, 2018

I have funeral cover and so does my wife,but I also have a car on hire purchase and a credit card that is up to its limit,so my children have an option of selling my car or keep it and take over the monthly payments then they would have at least $5,000 towards my funeral cost.So here is hoping I live for at least another 3 years so the car is fully paid off and my credit card reduced.

I'm prepared.
I'll be cremated unless my organs can be used to help others.

@twshield I am, I have a living will all set up. I signed the back of my driver's license too. lol

@twshield Thanks! That's my grandson. He's so funny, I love that little guy.

@twshield You never know.

@twshield you are young, you can have kids, If I wasnt an old bag I would have one for you!!

My funeral is paid for, all of my assets, house, cars, bank accounts are in joint names with my kids, will and probate are not necessary, though I have a will. I am a registered organ donor, so apart from he big booze up, it is all done and dusted.

You sound like an insurance agent.

I have a will, just updated, and a Do Not Revive order as well. . I have also made provisions for my 2 dogs....both rescues, it will be hard on them to have changes. Their guardian is named in my will along with substantial money for their care. My executors are neither one dog people, or even pet people, so it was important to have an advocate/ care person specifically for my dogs.

I have always maintained life insurance since I started working. It has been a steady savings tool and a hedge against losses that would have adversely affected my dependents. I have also written a will, advanced directives and a Do Not Resuscitate order. I have a mortgage which can be paid off with my life insurance. That way my spouse will be able to afford to stay in the house after losing my income. she has the same deal for me. A portion of my retirement income will continue for my spouse after my death. Our annuities also extend to each other. All of our accounts and title property is with rights of survivor ship. Neither one of us will suffer financial hardship from each other's demise. Death has been provided for so we have the time to live and share our lives without dread.

Well, I have no legacy, so that's out of the way. My insurance covers a modest cremation. Done.

You can't control it, I embrace it. Why cry about it ?

I missed it, you're right

I'm emotionally prepared, but I have a lot of anxiety of not being ready for the business aspect of death so that my sons don't have to think about it. I need to explore insurance policies that take care of such things. I want them to just have to make a phone call and that's it.

call your local funeral home, they can set up pre paid arrangments, then it really is just a phone call, and a few signatures. #funeraldirectorhere

@Funeralgirl direct cremation with a crematorium is the cheapest way to go. Direct cremation is 800 while cremation via a funeral home is 3000.

I need to re-do my will to tweak the beneficiaries but I have advanced medical directives, a will, an executor, and a trust that will minimize probate. I don't need insurance, any expenses will be covered, my executor will be paid, and a few people will make out nicely.

@twshield Thanks for the offer... 🙂

@twshield My reply would have been different if I thought you were serious my friend... 🙂

I don't want to die in the next 500 years, and I think it sucks that I don't get the option to live that long.

I have no financial preparations made; mostly because I don't have the finances to pay for it. I'm hoping to fix that, but not stressing. I don't want to be buried.

Beneficiaries for my estate ....check
Donate the usable body parts...check
Executor ........ ???? oh oh

Yah cremate my ass and plant a tree in my name all that other stuff is fluff for those who are alive

I am not afraid of death - that's the emotional stand.
I do not have a will made out and that is something on my 2 do list.

It's coming, can't escape it. My affairs are in order for the most part.

No life insurance-family has plot in MA. Want to be buried in my backyard. Living will but no assets will. Older daughter handicappped adult has appointed legal guardian and is taken care of. My younger daughter will pretty much inherit anything I might have at the time.

@twshield let me know if you need any help arranging that in Canada

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:17655
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.