Agnostic.com

11 2

LINK Homeopathy

Another important group along with FFRF and the Humanist is CFI (Center for Inquiry). Here, from the Brights, is a recent lawsuit against sellers of homeopathy. The Brights is an online, international (kind of like Agnostic.com) forum for “naturalistic” thinking. The idea is to change terminology from “atheist” (a negative term in some circles) to something more positive “Bright” and its corollary “supers” (for super naturalists). I am a member.

JackPedigo 9 Sep 12

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

11 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Good crooks should be held accountable

also a member

I sold medical books for a decade to all medical personnel. A leading world publisher. I recall attending the homeopathy conference and the huge push was to colon cleanse. Oh my all people had to clean our their digestive system,
Two decades later, real medicine provides proof we, the human, need the so called bad bacteria. We are not a simple species formed from dirt and god. We are merely a unit of various relationships with with organisms working in concert to make a human live. When we die, it is bye bye time, as our bodies return to energy.

EMC2 Level 8 Sep 13, 2018

None of it is regulated. I'm going to start selling urine from the Golden Tibetan Rhino Shrew. Slap $30 a box and cranial-rectal inversiontosis.

I honestly thought there had been testing that showed it worked, but apparently not? We've had it work sometimes, & sometimes not.

Carin Level 8 Sep 13, 2018

homeopathy works for what it works for. cancer is one of the many things that it does NOT work for. goldenseal works GREAT for the stuff i use it for. i wouldn't use it for cancer, or for diptheria, or e-coli, but when my ibs acts up, or if i have a cut or sore, it's fabulous. the problem with homeopathy is that it's not one thing, and it's also not a panacea, and it's touted as one thing, and further touted as a SUBSTITUTE for all medicine-as-we-know-it -- which is NOT all scientifically proven, by the way. fda approves things according to its own little criteria, which may be as much economic as science-based (maybe moreso, in fact) and some substances with real potential, even scientifically proven potential, are held at bay by special interests such as the alcohol and tobacco industries. what i think of most of what is presented as homeopathic medicine? quack quack quack. but lots of legitimate stuff gets lumped in there and badmouthed along with it.

g

Steve Jobs might still be alive had he not delayed scientifically proven treatments, when diagnosed with a rare, but treatable form of pancreatic cancer. Instead, he tried 'alternative medicine' (juices, acupuncture, 'spiritual healers' and other things he found on the internet) for nine months before finally listening to his physicians. By then, the cancer had spread.

Sometimes what the medical groups sell us doesn't work either . Sometimes , it even makes things worse . Sometimes , using things that have been used for thousands of years , actually have a positive effect . When I was young and pregnant for the first time , my doctor recommended a drug for morning sickness , that the pharmasutical agent had just told him about . This was 1962 . Several months after my daughter was born , the CDC made a Nation wide announcement on the evening news . Mothers who took this medication , were giving birth to children born without fingers , toes , hands , feet , arms , legs , eyes , or genitilia . Today , a salesman was in my home , talking to me about fencing . He was scratching his hands and arms due to mosquitoe bites . I went to my kitchen and brought him a soaked cotton cosmetic pad , and told him to wipe everywhere that itched. WIthin a minute or so , he had no more itches . My secret ? Apple cider vinegar . Cheap , fast , effective , easy to acquire , and no side effects . Told him to carry a small bottle , and some cotton cosmetic pads , in his car .

The Thalidomide case is tragic, to be sure. But it is as much a vindication of good science, as it is an indictment of the pharmaceutical industry, seeking to hurry a product to market. Frances Oldham Kelsey, reviewer at the FDA, heroically refused to approve the drug without further testing—this in spite of the fact that it was widely available in Europe, Canada and Australia. Her insistence on better science won her great acclaim. We truly need more scientists like her today!

@pnfullifidian As I understood it , they were selling it in Germany in 1957 , and in England in the early 1960s , and had made the connections before it came to the States . I was not familiar with Frances Kelsey , but I'm very glad someone put her foot down . Nevertheless , I don't always trust modern day medicines , nor do I immediately condemm all homeopathic medications . I go by what works .

Agreed, both my mother and my late partner reacted to medications in a completely manner as others. One size does not fit all.

@Cast1es What works may sometimes be a placebo--what we believe to be effective, not what has been clinically proven. Kind of like religion, don't you think?

@pnfullifidian I do understand the placebo effect and medical testing does try to take that into account . On the other hand , eating a balanced diet , for instance is healthier than eating a lot of junk food , because you get a better assortment of vitamines and minerals . I have a tendency to go anemic , ( low iron ) , So it helps me to both eat vegetables containing iron , such as spinach , and also to take suppliments , as needed .

My best friend truly believes in this. She's always giving me remedies. They are expensive. I haven't heard had any results but my grandson took a remedy for bed wetting and it worked tremendous ly well. Maybe it was placebo effect but he quit wetting the bed.

Dawkins got it.

I can see the argument against this coming will be the placebo effect is a well practiced in the medical field. I do agree with the fraud and deception idea though.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:177468
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.