Agnostic.com

13 6

Where should the line be drawn, between religious freedom and mental illness?

Why does religious freedom seam to trump getting some people helped medically? in my opinion when you won't get your kids to a doctor, and think praying over them is enough. though I would like to see that extended to many other creationisi things, such as educating your child on some young earth, flat earth nonsense,

MichaelSpinler 8 Jan 23

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

13 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

That is the true power of religion in our society, If you hear voices you are insane but if you are talking with God it is viable. Of if some one greets their guardian angel. I get a kick out of the conservatives who are latent homosexual and preach purity of the genders. This is classic, it scares me so much I am tempted, ergo remove the temptation.

EMC2 Level 8 Feb 5, 2018

Now tRump is starting this crap about people in the medical field who have religious objections to parts of their job being able to refuse without consequence. That is such hogwash. In an abortion clinic, part of the nurse's job is to assist with abortions---if she or he won't do that, s/he can't do the job and shouldn't be hired. People who refuse to treat LGBQT people shouldn't be in the medical field, IMO. I say that as a health care professional. I treat people who are religious nuts, and treat them with kindness, so they can damn well suck up their self-righteousness and do their job! I can't understand parents who let their children die rather than get them to a doctor in time. That's so illogical it does seem bordering on mental illness.

It is pretty clear to me where the line was always drawn. Most believers act exactly like atheists in their daily life - they drive carefully, take out insurance, go to doctor for physicals and when sick, rely on their work and nit just prayers. You cannot see any difference. When their beliefs impact reality - not letting their children go see doctors, wants polygamy, deny their children education etc, then the state intervenes. In short, if you talk to God you're praying, but when God talks back, you are delusional. And if God should tell you to do something illegal, you're in jail.

Geoff Level 5 Jan 26, 2018

On the one hand I think parents should be the guardians of their children. On the other hand I think most adults should have training to become parents. I'm sure I don't want the government involving themselves in my family connections. Most government policies are reactive, not proactive. If a child dies, and negligence can be shown; then they should be prosecuted. (and yes, I know that raises more issues on our legal system).

When theists insist on praying for one even after being told no several times. I look at it at some form of abuse. A nurse in this country got sacked for forcing prayer onto patients. In my opinion, she needed to stop practicing until she got the much needed help

I completely agree.
The problem is when people look you weirdly because you're an atheist!

You present a hard question. I have observed mental illness created out of religion. As for what can be done about people who refuse to get medical attention for children...that must be handled by legal action. Because, these parents can't get passed a belief system, that holds them hostage. We still protect the vulnerable in this country...at least in theory, coupled with a little action, here and there! Education is being 'dumbed down,' now that we have DeVos...who knows what it will be like, if she is there 3 more years? This is too much to contemplate all at once...

I think by the time you get to snake handling or Christian Science treatments for children, you're at the line. When you get to suttee, you're way over it.

Isn't it the same? Speaking in tongues! Talking to god!

Speaking in tongues is one of the scariest things I've ever seen.

@JeffMurray people completely lose their minds, itโ€™s very sad to watch

@TeepeeFlowers spooky too

Where it harms anyone outside of the believer.

All religious moderates cause harm to others indirectly. They provide an environment in which religious extremism can survive and thrive.

When it comes to medical care, religion is flatly dangerous! There is the line of thinking that parents have the religious freedom to make choices for their children. When they deprive their children the medical care they need because a myhtical sky daddy might help their kids, its gone too far. What about the kids right to life? Why isnt the kids futures taken into account? These kids are forced to die due to their parents delusions? This is pure bullcrap.

That is a minority in the Xian world. Most use doctors, and education just like a nonbeliever.

Jehovas witness top the charts to what should be called โ€˜unlawful killingโ€™ of children

Yes, I agree. But who's going to draw the line ?

The line as far as in am concerned is when medical professionals deem potential harm.

Hmmm... when you start doing things because some ethereal sky-daddy supposedly told some mud-hut dweller several thousand years ago to do something? That seems like a pretty solid line. This side... questionable mental stability... that side... crazy as a shit-house mouse and should be put away for the safety of all parties involved.

Also, if you think rocks and candles and feathers and essential oils and smoke and magic spells will fix all of your woes... why don't you just hop on in the next bus to the looney bin?

Spot on

No sure....specially after this afternoon...when an acquaintance told me that my Atheism offends her.

But if you had said the same to her, she would lost her mind, I'm sure.

@DobbinPitch I did answer her and she got all bent out of shape. I enjoyed her ignorance....

@DUCHESSA I like you

@DavidLaDeau Thanks

@DUCHESSA love this ?

@TeepeeFlowers What do you love?

@DUCHESSA โ€˜bent out of shapeโ€™ ?

@TeepeeFlowers Should I have said "She got so pissed off that had a bowel movement right then and there."? ๐Ÿ™‚

@DUCHESSA I can just imagine a human all bent up ?

@TeepeeFlowers Loke the letters S, W and ร‘ put together. ๐Ÿ™‚

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:17782
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.