Agnostic.com

18 30

Have you had sweet moments on a first date?

Yesterday I had a wonderful time with a retired attorney from the Seattle area. We met through Fitness Singles. During our first date, we had some sweet moments.

We met at the Roslyn Café in the mountains, which was closed for fall/winter hours. Next door, a museum volunteer suggested two restaurants.

After lunch, we wandered around Roslyn. At a bookstore, I asked an employee to suggest nearby hiking trails. We decided to walk down to the Cle Elum River at Suncadia, a fancy housing development with a lodge, restaurants, golf courses and hiking trails.

Hiking down to the river, it was windy and cold. Stuart carefully buttoned my hood under my chin. “Does that feel too tight?” he asked. “It’s perfect,” I replied. “Thank you.”

At the river, I led him over large logs to get close to the water, wearing a short dress, tights and low boots. We sat on a log, enjoying the sparkle of sunlight on the river as it flowed over rocks. “This is perfect,” Stuart said.

“Are you ready to leave?” Stuart asked after a while. “I’m having an ecstatic moment, mesmerized by flowing water sparkling when it hits rocks over there,” I replied, pointing. Stuart respectfully waited until I was ready to leave five minutes later.

Together we challenged the long, steep stairs, climbing up from the river to the ridge where Suncadia is located. The sun came out, bringing surprising heat. We laughed, shucking off our jackets.

With a lousy sense of direction, I got out of the car and immediately turned the wrong way. I spotted Stuart across the street in the bookstore doorway. Tall and thin, Stuart smiled and beckoned me with one hand: Come here.

“Where were you going?” Stuart asked, amused. “Were you trying to get away from me?”

“Yes,” I replied, jokingly. “Not really. Just wandering, as usual. I said that trying to cover my ineptness.” He laughed.

Our conversation is effortless. Stuart grew up five miles from my first home in Michigan. We attended the University of Michigan together but never met. He is four years older. His voice and dry humor sound like home. We both love art and hiking. Two atheist Democrats.

A dancer, Stuart sent me videos of professional dancers in competitions. I like the Rhumba because it is slow and sensual. Stuart plans to teach me the Rhumba.

“I want to be with you as long as I can,” Stuart said, offering me something to eat before leaving. Good idea. We both had a cup of black bean soup. I smiled all the way home.

LiterateHiker 9 Sep 13

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

18 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

This sounds like a possible keeper, congratulations. So refreshing to hear after your awful experience with the Trump-impaired racist.

I had a first date once that was very sweet. It seems like ages ago. She was in a city far away, by normal standards. They almost always are. Even living in Atlanta with a decent population there are not enough people here that peak my interest, or at least I haven't met them yet. So we picked a city in the middle, someplace big enough to offer adequate dining choices. She let me pick a place so I asked some friends who were local and did some research on Yelp. I picked a place that wasn't too loud but had a great looking menu, seemed to be busy enough to be good with the locals, and was close to parks and other possible after lunch entertainment. I shared the locale, since we were going to meet there, and she approved. That made me happy. I had figured out enough of what she liked to have made a good choice on the first try. Maybe she was being nice, but in my mind I had made a good choice.

Next, having solidified the venue, I called them. I wanted to know if I showed up early with flowers would they put them on the table as a center piece and keep that table reserved for me when I "showed up" with my date later? Why yes, they could do that said the young woman on the phone. So, then I did more research, looking for a good florist in the area. I found one that I liked, based on the web page and photos of the shop. It wasn't any in-depth research, I just wanted something that "felt" right. We talked on the phone about flowers. I knew her favorites so we had a long discussion about what would look good together. Yeah, they were extremely helpful. I had chosen a good florist too. In the end we settled on a color scheme and we started talking about pricing. Now, my plan was to surprise the woman with flowers, but I didn't want to just get an "Aww", I was going for "WOW!". So I had them make up a center piece, nothing too big, but I wanted it to have full sized flowers and at least be larger than whatever center pieces that venue used normally. They said they could do that. Then I also ordered a dozen roses. OK, they could do that too. Great I told the lady. Now I also need a single rose, but it needs to like serious, nothing simple with this single rose, "make it look special" I told them. I arranged to pick the flowers the day of the date.

So, time passes. The day before I call the venue, verifying my reservations and telling them I would be showing up an hour early to deliver the flowers. Great they said, I will make a note on the reservation. I also called the florist, confirming that they would have my order ready for pickup at 9am when they opened. Yes sir, of course. You don't need to worry. I was feeling pretty pleased with myself. So I travel to the city and check into my hotel room. I wasn't going to risk traffic making me late and messing up my intricately woven plans. The following morning I leave the hotel and get to the florist just as they are opening the doors. I look around, maybe there is something that I have forgotten or just didn't think was an option. I tell them I am there for the flowers. They bring them out and they are beautiful. I am so happy, they have outdone themselves. Catching my enthusiasm they ask why all of the flowers. I tell them the plan and they get all mushy and smiley. What's the occasion? they ask, Are you proposing? I chuckle, "No, it's just a first date and I want it to be perfect". They help me load the flowers into the car, and I drive to the venue.

I get there early and have to wait in the car until they open. There are already a few groups of people waiting to enter and when the doors open I follow them in. I talk to the hostess who gushes about how romantic I am being. She introduces me to my server and we walk around the nearly empty place to find the perfect table. Great view, away from the more noisy areas. I thank her and set the center piece on the table. Basically they have reserved my table for as long as I need it. I give her the dozen roses with instructions. She starts gushing and asking what's the occasion. It was wonderful, the entire wait staff was on board with my sneakiness.

The hour arrives and I go outside to await my date. She shows up wearing a beautiful pink dress which shows off her curves and legs. Her shoes are heels and have an open toe so her freshly manicured nails are peeking out at me as she steps out of the car. I am having a moment but control myself as the valet gets in and drives off. We hug, I've dressed up for this too and she smiles, telling me how handsome I am. I reciprocate because she really is beautiful. As I turn to show her the door, I pull out the single rose, wrapped with some decorative baby's breath and other things which make the color pop. She smiles, having guessed that I was plotting something, and thanks me for remembering her favorite rose color. We go inside, of course I open the door, I'm old school. The hostess asks how many. I say "two" and smile, she is pretending to have seen me for the first time. Our server appears, grabbing two menus and leads us to the table. Again she smiles, wider this time. The center piece is adorable. She tells me "You shouldn't have, but thanks. I appreciate it." I am giddy with excitement. The menu is indeed perfect. We order drinks and look over the menu. She wants to try many things and I suggest that I like everything on the menu so lets get whatever she likes and then we can share and taste everything. She goes for that idea and it was such a sweet moment that we were both really into each other and just having a great time. We talked for a bit and asked questions of the server when she came back to take our order. After the order was placed, we held hands across the table and talked some more. The server returns to the table with the dozen roses, and she just melts. I knew that she would think the flowers were over with the center piece and relax so the arrival of more roses really took her by surprise. That moment was magical! I will never forget it for the rest of my life. After lunch we went to the art museum and walked around the exhibits. That afternoon was the happiest I had been in years and I think she was just as happy as I was. Best first date EVER!

I feel much promise in this narrative !

I've definitely had some like this, that caused endless smiling ...

How incredibly special. I smiled reading the entire thing and wish you many more amazing moments.

Beautiful experience; beautifully written! Well, as for me: dates (medjool) were my first sweet...?

@Kris55

Thank you for your compliment about my writing. I appreciate you!

Sounds like you had a wonderful time I hope you have many more

Glad you had a nice experience. ?

Take one day at a time and enjoy every minute. You live in a beautiful part of the world.
You had what I would consider a perfect 1st date. Never had one like that. I’m envious.

I can't seem to recall any first dates that stand out. Have some wonderful adventures occasionally someone would tag along.

Sounds like you two have a lot in common and had a good time. Hope things work out for you!

Yeah! Get it, woman!

Awww, that is very sweet. Enjoy exploring your new relationship! 🤓

Sounds like the start of something good. Keep us posted.

Yeah, it was pretty sweet when someone bought me some gaudy necklaces from a street vendor in Vegas,

Very very nice. ?

I certainly hope you two have more lovely moments like this...a second date? Sounds like you have a lot in common and that he is a respectful, intelligent, and kind man...and you both seem to like each other...that is important. awwww...keep us posted...

That sounds like a wonderful first date!

I can recall only 1 instance that it was not "sweet" (some sweeter than others of course). We double-dated (blind date) and went dancing. I am a non-drinker and when I did not order an alcoholic drink, my date had nothing to do with me the rest of the night.

Works the same for me sometimes when they learn I'm a non-believer. It's honest and doesn't waste anyone's time if it means neither friendship nor romance will be possible.

I love it happening earlier rather than later.

@Silver1wun I have had the religious reject me out of hand but never on a date as it never got that far.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:177900
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.