Agnostic.com

15 0

What's your favorite religious song?

You don't have to agree with lyrics

I like Bach's "Bist du bei mir" ( BWV 508 ) but I think my all time favorite is "Miserere Mei, Deus" by Gregorio Allegri.
I can't think of anything more modern, though... maybe Under Oath's "Some Will Seek Forgiveness, Others Escape" but that's way behind Bach and Allegri.

JohnnyMarsz 4 Sep 13

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

15 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

and here is the other one i found:

g

pretty much anything in klezmer style, but most klezmer isn't religious. the religious stuff tends to be christian, and i've never been christian. i suppose it's a toss-up between "i'll fly away" and "when i can read my titles clear." i like medieval christmas songs, too. the only even remotely modern christmas song i can think of offhand that i like is "have yourself a merry little christmas," but it has context, you see: it's from "meet me in st. louis" and there is a reason judy garland is singing it. i do have two favorite ANTI-religious songs, and i wonder if i can find them both on youtube? oh, look, i found the one i thought i wouldn't be able to and here it is:

g

devil went down to georgia

O Holy Night.

These days I no longer have any and I do not want to listen to them. Most songs are make believe and we need them to round us out and soothe or settle us in many ways. Today I have to draw the line when the make believe is singing all about the make believe.

You could try "Hand of the Almighty". Happyheritic just reminded me of that one.

Source:

Elvis singing How Great Thou Art.

Many may talk about having a personal relationship with Jesus, but none sum it up for me better than (appropriately) Genesis.

A Mighty Fortress Is Our God J.S.Bach, Martin Luther. Honorable mention to Judee Sill whom penned allegorical (like) songs. Example The Lamb Ran Away With The Crown. I believe she has a great bio and deserves more credit than she has gotten. No affiliations-Educational purposes only. No Type I for Earth

The Hallelujah Chorus.

Ave Verum Corpus, Schubert’s Ave Maria, Jesu Joy of Man’s Desiring, Locus Iste, Hallelujah Chorus, Panis Angelicus, Silent Night, Faure’s Pie Jesu, In the Bleak Midwinter........and of the popular music genre, Mary’s Boy Child and 10cc’s Ready to Go Home sung by Morten Harket.

Mine is "For Unto Us a Child Is Born" from "Messiah".

"The Hand of the Almighty " by John Butler ?

I have that album and it is one of my favorites for sure. 🙂

So many good ones to chose... idk, Snakes of christ, Hell Awaits, N.I.B., 1000 Days in Sodom...

I see what you did there. 😉

Not sure. I LOVE Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah but it is NOT the religious song people who don't listen to lyrics tend to think it is and that always pisses me off. Especially when they sing it around holidays.

I also love everything Matisyahu does, and the songs are mostly all Kabalistic.

Hallelujah brings me to tears, so powerful

@starwatcher-al me too - tears every time, even when Justin Timberlake did it. But not when they try to twist it into the holidays..it makes my blood boil. I posted something to that effect around holiday time, maybe two years ago,,, on FB and I got so much shit for it. LISTEN TO ALL THE WORDS!! Lol.

@Dandewine I first heard it sung by a woman's acapella (?) group and was floored. Then 6 months later when I was giving a service-talk at my UU fellowship i insisted that they do that song as part of the service. I had looked it up on U=Tube and heard Leonard sing it, later I realized that he had written it. A few days ago I was watching a show about FBI on an old show TV channel. It was a usual hostage situation thing but the acting was great. At the end as the gunman and the FBI man were coming out of the building they had Hallelujah playing as the background music, I lost it.

Losing my religion by REM

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:178121
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.