Agnostic.com

19 3

Are your words changing themselves on this site?

I don't have autocorrect on my computer, and i sure am too blind to use my phone for stuff like this, but on this site -- this site only -- i reread what i have posted and words have CHANGED. i just had to correct "deluge" to "delude" in one of my posts. in several, i find that the word "to" is missing and the space where the "to" had been is held by an extra space. that could happen once but how about five or six times in one post? it's very odd.

i am perfectly capable of making typos but this goes well beyond that. is this happening to anyone else?

g

genessa 8 Sep 14

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

19 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Yes this happens. I have noticed that there's a typo detector in the site. I have one with my browser but sometimes the site overrides my typo detector. When my browser detects a typo the word is underlines in a red dotted line and when the site detects a typo it's highlighted in light red.
(my working hypothesis) I suspect that comments on this site are occasionally slated for review (someway, somehow) and when reviewed the site's auto-correct kicks in and edits the post.

i think it must be an auto-incorrect!

g

Yes. I especially notice it happening to my profile bio. Once in awhile words go missing and what I wrote makes no sense anymore. I just have to go back and edit every now and then. I've had whole comments in posts or responses in messaging go missing as well.

In fact, I just went through my profile bio again. Oh jeebus, the changes that happened by themselves and missing words were just awesome. I mentioned "clubs" and that changed to "clog boutiques", WTF.

@graceylou very weird!

g

@genessa It really makes me sound like an idiot, I tell you. Can't write worth a dime.

@graceylou i'm watching "numb3rs" on tv right now. they go on about algorithms. i don't understand them and i have a feeling the people who design them for this site don't either.

g

@genessa I loved that show. I don't understand it either. I figure if one is going to build a site of this caliber one should have an understanding of it. But, it's not really all that important really. And I had a good laugh at clog boutique. I can imagine a fancy stores selling high end clogs.

There may be an add on to your web browser that auto corrects. The site never changes words for me.

i promise you there is no such add-on affecting me. i've used this browser for years and years and i haven't got this problem with any other site. in addition, look at all the comments here from people to whom this also happens!

g

Yes. Regularly.

If anything, I'm becoming more creative with word choices. As a published author, I'm constantly editing.

Last night I made it to Level 8. Wrote a "Zippy-dee-doo-da" ditty. I'm terrible at writing headlines. So, I changed the headline four times:

Made it to Level 8! (boring)

Excitement followed by a T-shirt (kill me now)

A Small Celebration (zzzz....)

Looked up synonyms for "small," and settled on a lively, amusing headline:

Itsy-Bitsy Celebration

Done.

It's divine vengeance. Clearly this site has angered the Gods.

Gods?? Geez there's only one! It's Mohammed. I mean Jesus. No wait, Yahweh. No wait it's Buddha. No, no,no ....it's....the pope?

I have noticed it and it could be me. We all do typos. What I think it is really is this site correcting (or trying to correct*OR your app or computer trying to do the same. It all depends on what is in the programming. Sometimes I find that the word "up" is always wanting to be "un" or vice versa. It's like some insane built in auto correct or AI is operating. In many posts that I don't pay a lot of attention to women run ads that read "am a down to earth woman and am looking for my true love long term." Where oh, where is the word "I?"

Another example here is that I did not mean to go bold here. Something happened and I'm not sure what it was. I'm letting it go rather than redo it.

Then I post it and find that the BOLD has went ITALIC. WTF?

@DenoPenno the bold could be a result of hitting capslock by accident. the bold's going into italics is just plan twilight zone weird.

g

@genessa OIC. I do have fat fingers.

@DenoPenno i have fat fingers all over! just like at home i go barefoot all over.

g

The reason it's in italics is you have an asterisk between "correct" and "or" - placing a word between asterisks on this site makes italics whereas placing a word between two asterisks makes bold. As there's only one, the site thinks you wanted the rest of the paragraph to be italicised. 🙂

@Jnei Thanks for explaining.

@genessa At home I'm either barefoot, naked, or somewhere in between.

Happens to me all the time. So often I've typed "While I disagree with your right-wing opinion, I respect your right to hold it" but it somehow turns into "you're a moron, so shut up".

Jnei Level 8 Sep 14, 2018

wow it appears i am not alone! (that's not a religious statement, of course!)

g

I haven't had this problem at all, unless I just didn't notice it.

Yup, I thought I was losing my mind.... I guess not....mmmhhhh

This happens to me also. A while ago I noticed my profile had all the 'to' words missing. Also the edit functionality wasn't working for the longest time, so anything you noticed that needed correcting after it had posted was unable to be fixed. Youre not crazy, it's a glitch.

haha it may be a glitch but i am still crazy (after all these years). i hope those words come out the way i am typing them.... 🙂)

g

I din't seam two have and of these tipo issues hear

twill Level 7 Sep 14, 2018

This does seem to be a reoccurring bug on this site. For a long time it happened with certain combinations of letters, especially "ng" in bios.

Jnei Level 8 Sep 14, 2018

Yes, it happens all the time...sometimes I can’t be bothered changing it to the right thing and just leave it.

These are not the droids you were looking for.

Knot atoll

Had a problem with multiple letters for a bit . It was like the keys got stuck and every letter I typed , showed up multiple times . Whatever the problem was , it's now cleared up .

Oh yes! Someone else mentioned this as well. Some times I find entire words missing! However, we are all smart enough to figure out what someone is trying to say.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:178484
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.