Agnostic.com

14 17

What is Empathy?

sassygirl3869 9 Jan 24

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

14 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Not quite sure I quite understand, but I can come up with some to tell you. This definition is from the internet. It is simplistic but what empathy is.

em·pa·thy
/?emp?TH?/
noun

1. the ability to understand and share the feelings of another.
    Powered by Oxford Dictionaries

Many people are Empaths and don't realize it. I am an empath. I can feel some feelings of others. I have no control over who or what may come to me. It is usually something very front and center in another's life. They may or may not know. Sometimes, it is health cocerns. Another has a serious illness and it comes to you. I say nothing. If they are ill and want to discuss it, they can approach me. Sometimes it is an emotional feeling. Someone many be going through an event that causes deep anxiety and stress. I always allow the person the control because I do not feel it is my right to invade their private space. If they ask, I will talk with them.

Being an Empath is a serious gift. It is not something you ask for. You are born with it. it may take man years for someone to realize they are an Empath. Then, perhaps some more years to know what to do with it. I still sometimes hasve issues with that.

I feel your pain even if I don't understand your experience.

Good list. To add my two cents worth: Sympathy is feeling compassion for the struggle or suffering of another. It is certainly compattible with empathy, but empathy is more. It is being able to imagine what it feels like to be in the other's shoes, usually based on having experienced something comparable.

That list seems more about sympathy.

Isn't that when I hammer my thumb and you also feel the pain? Or when you feel good and it makes me smile?

Mirror neurons.

skado Level 9 Jan 25, 2018

Yes, the meme depicts what empathy should be like. Caring for others as if self. That's my def.

I just had this discussion with my college student interns I am working with. We talked about youth and bullying and more kids need to understand what empathy and compassion is and how to be more tolerant of things they don't understand but can learn about in a more empathetic way.

To see your own pain in the eyes of another.

I am too empathetic sometimes.

To understand,and be sensitive ,aware and experience the thoughts and or feelings of another person or animal. I mention animal because this is the true indication of an individuals character .

Thank you for mentioning the animals. They feel pain and hunger and fear. They don't want to suffer or be slaughtered. Empathy should have no borders. It shouldn't discriminate between living beings and environment. When we protect others we protect ourselves.

Having been there, or nearby.

Something most people lack....the ability to understand other person feelings..

Empathy is understanding pain.

Not that I remotely agree with religion but not all priest are pedafiles. Not all cops are corrupt. Not all doctors are just practising.

Needless to say....

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:18021
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.