Agnostic.com

58 13

Has anybody ever gone numb emotionally?

I know this may sound like a silly question, but has anybody else gone numb for a short while emotionally. I don’t know why it gets to that point, but I think it probably has something to do with life in general and all life’s b.s that a person can literally run out of f**** to give. What do you guys think or have you ever felt like this or similar?

EmeraldJewel 7 Sep 18

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

58 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It happens occasionally with traumatic events. However it doesn't ever linger for me so I am unconcerned it happens

Yup.

I did at a time and then I realized I have control over all of my emotions and it's truly my choice on how long all that negative BS in this world affects me

BkCAT Level 4 Sep 18, 2018

It happens a lot with antidepressants for some people, though it doesn't sound like that's specifically what you mean. I've experienced it without them, though it's been some time. If you feel like talking might help, don't hesitate.

Yes, a couple of times. After the divorce from my first husband and after the death of my second. Both times lasted about 6 months.

After a very stressful period, both at work and in my first marriage, I suffered a bout with depression and had to take an antidepressant. Te antidepressant left me emotionally numb and that was worse than the depression and I stopped taking it.

I remember going numb emotionally as a teenager after I read "1984". It affected me a great deal. I've never reread it simply because I don't want to go through that again.

@AmiSue Being raised Mormon, I had a pretty sheltered childhood. It was probably too miuch too quick when I was young. I may reread it, having learned a lto more of the world, it probably won't have the same effect.

@zarathustra13 I always have to ask myself, who really benefits or benefitted from what politicians and the government does.

I pretty much limit my news intake to NPR and the BBG any more. Most news these days isn't really journalism, but rather just "infotainment.", only only a tad more reliable for accuracy than the tabloids.

In th eU.S. over 90% of the media, which includes all news papers, magazines, TV and radio stations are owned by just six corporations, which don't really actually compete against each other, as they all basically tow the same line as to what and how to report news.

Hell yes. I am seeming unconcerned on the outside but extremely sensitive inside. I think it is a defense mechanism for psychological preservation.

After I found out husband was cheating. After the crying ended I was totally numb. No emotions. The feelings I’d had for him were gone, never to return.

I have no idea what it would even feel like so I can't give an answer, but I would hope not.

Yes, especially in regards of relationships.
I only worry when it seems to alter my relationship with my kids.
Everyone and everything else: meh.

Absolutely.

I believe that "going numb" is a defense mechanism. For some of us, it's
our minds going into protection mode, especially after a trauma.
After repeated battering, sometimes our hearts do the same. Okay, it's still
our minds, but you know what I mean.

Yes. It's a survival mechanism, kicks in after a traumatic even or if the trauma is re-triggered or if I'm under too much stress. My mind shuts down to protect itself.

Yes actually. When I woke up on November 9, 2016. Still waiting to recover.

in 1982

Yes, I have felt this multiple times throughout the years and for extended periods of time. I consider it “going dormant”, as I hope to awake from it after an appropriate amount of time.

I like that! I've been dormant a few times and consider myself to be right now, to an extent. The coming back to life is always amazing.

Asolutely....was married for 23 years ...the life was drained from me ..to the point of feeling anxious and unhappy.Life started to lose it 's point ..despite all the blessings that I should have embraced .
But now .. divorced ..and not regretting a single day. Love my life ..and living again.

No, but sometimes I wish I could.

I was overloaded and shut down after my wife passed.

Yes, for years when I lived with my parents. I think it's the only way I survived my mother's narcissism.

Yeah, the last 18 months to two years of my marriage. It's a long story but didn't really appreciate where I was mentally and emotionally at the time until I was out of it, nor did I appreciate the long term effects and damage that period of time did

I have been numb emotionally, the first time was after my first wife died. I became very introverted kept the curtains closed in a sence i was like the Pink Floyd tune i was comfortably numb in my own thinking. the thinking was numb an far from free.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:181772
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.