Agnostic.com

58 13

Has anybody ever gone numb emotionally?

I know this may sound like a silly question, but has anybody else gone numb for a short while emotionally. I don’t know why it gets to that point, but I think it probably has something to do with life in general and all life’s b.s that a person can literally run out of f**** to give. What do you guys think or have you ever felt like this or similar?

EmeraldJewel 7 Sep 18

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

58 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I remember going numb emotionally as a teenager after I read "1984". It affected me a great deal. I've never reread it simply because I don't want to go through that again.

@AmiSue Being raised Mormon, I had a pretty sheltered childhood. It was probably too miuch too quick when I was young. I may reread it, having learned a lto more of the world, it probably won't have the same effect.

@zarathustra13 I always have to ask myself, who really benefits or benefitted from what politicians and the government does.

I pretty much limit my news intake to NPR and the BBG any more. Most news these days isn't really journalism, but rather just "infotainment.", only only a tad more reliable for accuracy than the tabloids.

In th eU.S. over 90% of the media, which includes all news papers, magazines, TV and radio stations are owned by just six corporations, which don't really actually compete against each other, as they all basically tow the same line as to what and how to report news.

I have been drained and hollow feeling for a few years now. Since my wife left with the kids... i’ve been shut down.

Hey mate. I’ve been there. It gets better, although it takes time. Here if you need a chat.

It's hard buddy. I am emerging from something similar. It takes time and work. Don't isolate yourself, do things you like even if you don't feel like doing them, and find good people to hang out with.

@AlfredoG i am a bit cloistered off. I don't have much interaction outside of my cat. Sadly enough, its been so long since i’ve done anything except work, and maintain the household... i don't even remember anything I particularly like. I was asked about my fav food recently, and had no answer. Eating has been more about inputing fuel than any source of enjoyment for do long that I couldnt name anything that was particularly endearing.

@Samsuditana Maybe is time to seek some therapy. You deserve better.

Every Fucking Day!

@K9Kohle789 Only way I could still be going on... still having a Blast because I still can take it and dish it out.

Yes, I am numb emotionally right now. I am shattered! It started when my wife left, then I realized my life was not what I thought it was. I am not who I thought I was, and it all goes backwards to where I see almost everything. I'm able to see why I do what I do and why others do also. Your entire life serves to set you up for who you are right now. You go from the hero of the movie into the limited bit player that you really are. You want to recover from this and go forward normally, but inside you realize that most likely you never will.

I hope the road to recovery goes well for you. That is never easy.

@EmeraldJewel Thanks. Maybe it sounds worse than it really is. There are many positive things in that mess that I wrote. Recovery is probably not an option.

Yes, a couple of times. After the divorce from my first husband and after the death of my second. Both times lasted about 6 months.

Yes, I have felt this multiple times throughout the years and for extended periods of time. I consider it “going dormant”, as I hope to awake from it after an appropriate amount of time.

I like that! I've been dormant a few times and consider myself to be right now, to an extent. The coming back to life is always amazing.

I've been dead inside for years ?

Sounds rather common - - an emotional process of dealing with grief:

• reminds me of a funeral I attended. A wonderful father of a nine year old girl (they had a fantastic relationship. She was her reason for living and he was her world) died of a heart attack During the funeral the girl seamed happy and not at all hurt - - did a bit of research and discovered young people sometimes exhibit contradictory emotions because the reality of loss is just to profound.

Yeah this is pretty standard "grief and loss 101". First stage is denial / numbness. Not abnormal unless you get "stuck" in it. More pronounced in juveniles, too.

Oh yes i have, sometimes in life you get fed up with the Bullshit in Life!

You sound exactly like me hahaha!

Its depression...

You may be right on depression. I never knew I was depressed until I had a girlfriend of years ago who pointed it out to me. She worked in the medical field. A lot of the things I do are ways that I deal with my depression.

Only after sex

Hahahanow that’s funny!

When l was antidepressants for a couple of years, they put a cap how high or low l could go emotionally. I miss that.

There have been times when I have wished I could go numb emotionally.

Deb57 Level 8 Sep 22, 2018

I am going through divorce depression or something tried time off, meds, don't know how to feel anymore and it's numbing to.

Same here, but I realized that meds were part of that. Some can make you feel like that. I stopped what I was taking and I'm fine now. Just don't do it on your own but with medical advise.

It happens occasionally with traumatic events. However it doesn't ever linger for me so I am unconcerned it happens

Yup.

I did at a time and then I realized I have control over all of my emotions and it's truly my choice on how long all that negative BS in this world affects me

BkCAT Level 4 Sep 18, 2018

It happens a lot with antidepressants for some people, though it doesn't sound like that's specifically what you mean. I've experienced it without them, though it's been some time. If you feel like talking might help, don't hesitate.

After a very stressful period, both at work and in my first marriage, I suffered a bout with depression and had to take an antidepressant. Te antidepressant left me emotionally numb and that was worse than the depression and I stopped taking it.

Hell yes. I am seeming unconcerned on the outside but extremely sensitive inside. I think it is a defense mechanism for psychological preservation.

After I found out husband was cheating. After the crying ended I was totally numb. No emotions. The feelings I’d had for him were gone, never to return.

I have no idea what it would even feel like so I can't give an answer, but I would hope not.

Yes, especially in regards of relationships.
I only worry when it seems to alter my relationship with my kids.
Everyone and everything else: meh.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:181772
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.