Agnostic.com

20 30

Psychotic Break

As some of you know I recently had a bad bout with my depression (don't really want to go into the details). I mean I was really depressed, like I should have been hospitalized (to stubborn for that). I had a psychotic break. I saw my doctor and got back on my meds, and got much better.

I realized something. I really started feeling better since I joined this community. I have never had anyone to share my agnostic thoughts ( my wife is a theist). I have needed something like this for a very long time.

I learn and I am encouraged through your posts, and comments, and you listen to mine. I guess I am trying to say is, you all have been therapeutic, and I have sense of community even if we can't share lunch. Thank you all

I guess what made me realize all this was when I clicked my fans and I was really humbled. I want to thank who ever posted that information about the fans. I didn't know I could see my fans.

This is way better than church, and it's free🙂 A special thanks to @Admin

Leutrelle 7 Jan 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

20 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I'm very glad you're feeling better. 🙂

I'm glad to hear that you are doing better! I have been there. Not as significant as your situation but close enough. I'm doing very well now and I even wish I could go back in time and tell myself then how strong, well and happy I feel now.

You are right. It amazes me how different I see things after the episode.

I'd say I feel the same but when my depression is too bad I can't even think well enough to engage in conversations or post on here. I'm actually in a rut now, if my shorter less insightful comments are any indication. Though I've never been bad enough to say I should have been hospitalized, or like you am too stubborn to realize that I should be. But it is good that we have a place where there are people that really show us that we're not alone, in more ways than ideology.

Honestly religious communities seem to foster the opposite feelings, ever seen "The Joneses"? Which I don't know what came first but churches always feel like everyone is trying to keep up with the Joneses.

This may come as a surprise, but I suspected we may be in similar boat. Talking, or writing helps me. I lean on poetry it helps to jump start my mind. You however are much more analytical than me, so your route to recover maybe different. Have you ever talked to a doctor? I feel for you. Message me if you want. Get well Dreadly.

I've been there. Stay strong!

Sometimes, we must just keep putting one foot in front of the other and face the sun...with depression! We must always remind out selves, that if it was diabetes, we would get help, without a second thought! Depression, is a treatable condition even if it seems to be tougher to treat and even tougher to tolerate. So glad you are sharing and feeling better...

You hit the nail on the head. Thanks

I'm glad you are feeling better.

Thanks for your kindness.

I suffer from depression and bipolar. This past May I was about to commit suicide until I looked at my dog, Oliver. I called my parents and they came and got me. I’ve just joined this site and I think its been helpful to me also. I’m working on a book about mental illness and why the system is failing so many people. I need to get into the stigma of depression. But most of all I want to take the reader on a journey to hell and realize MI is painful. It is pain just like a broken leg but nobody can see it. I want them to understand what it’s like to have constant thoughts of death. People don’t just wake up one day and decide they’ll commit suicide. They’v been in pain for years and have finally got to the point where they can’t take it anymore. The brain truly is an amazing body part. To reach the point of suicide a person loses that deep will to survive. It’s gone.

I’m sick of being shamed for dealing with depression and occasional low grade manic phases. I’m on ssdi and people automatically pass judgement on me. Stigma is hard to fight. Especially when you can’t see the problem and can’t feel the pain and don’t understand what is going on with that person.

I hope to be a voice for all who suffer not only the illness but the way MI is treated and the failings of the MH field.

If it comes to nothing that’s okay too. At least I got my thoughts down on paper.

I wish you well.

There definitely are still attitudes in the mental health field and society as a whole that are harmful. Good luck with your book

There is very little Mental Health care, now! I was thinking today that we need universal health care that covers mental health, like any other illness! I too, have had depression for years. Family and friends told me, that I just didn't seem to want to be happy! And, it is probably true...if you have never known a 'state of reality'...that feels like you have decended into an abyss...there is no way to explain or show people! I finally took that to heart...and I get my real support from people, who have an inkling about depression, if not a real understanding! Depression robbed me of some of my most productive years. But, I did come out and I feel like I have a second chance at life. My best to you, friend...

The site has helped me too. I tend to get depressed at night a lot. The last 2 atheists groups I left, they didn't understand mental illness and made me feel bad for their being mean. One site totally was rude and told everyone on the site in the comments I was in a group home because I'm mentally ill. I have depression, yes, but when the admin said it to everyone, I got embarrassed and hurt. He said I'm depressed and that is why I'm skinny. Uh, no. It was an atheist fitness group. People that have mentally ill kids, yet makes fun of me for it, piss me off. (The admin, he was jealous cause he was 290 lbs. I'm 97 lbs)

Thats not cool. I think this is a good place, and I am really glad you are a part of it. Thanks

Thank you.

I'm glad you're feeling better! I have been in a major depression myself, meds don't help me, but moving has, started doing yoga and such. Also I quit smoking. Trying to replace negative habits with positive ones. Makes sense that community helps you!

That is great that you are doing yoga. I have been walking which helps a lot, I am afraid I am one who needs the med. I want to give up the smokeless tobacco Skoal brand. you put it under your lip. I have never smoked, and this is just as addictive. Thanks for your good words and the heart that shared.

The last couple of days have been rough for me as well. It was nice to read your post and be reminded I'm not alone. Today I shared with a therapist about being molested when I was 12 years old and the whole thing started after my sister sent me a picture and in the picture I'm 12 and I could see that I was just a child. I started drinking at 12 and had a lot of room to do things I didn't think of myself as a child. A friend reminded me that the things that happened in our brain are chemical and electrical and our perceptions are an illusion. For example snow is just snow some people are happy when it snows and some people aren't but it's all about perception. I wish you the best. Sorry Charlie only the best tasting tuna gets to be starkist. It's just my lot in life so I have to live it that's why I'm Charlie tuna.

I am sorry for trauma and i appreciate your empathy. Every body their luggage, and nice be around people with common values. Thank you

...you can't get your childhood back, but you can express in childish ways here and be at home! You matter here...

I've just come out of the same but not as bad.

It's hard, but it helps to be part of a tribe🙂

yes it really does

I heard you...we are friends here.

REALLY glad you're starting to feel better. Stay on your meds. They might be a real pain in the ass to keep up with, but they DO serve a purpose. You are NOT alone. People here give a shit. We can't fix anything for anyone, but we're here, and we can always listen. You really are not alone.

What say has really been a game changer. My DSL went a few days ago, and man I jonesing agnostic.org So thank's -- I have got work on minimalist concept🙂

@Leutrelle this site is therapy for me too and the community feel is great! It's our Church!

Ya wink wink🙂 It is a good feel, and thank you

This is a big outlet for me too.

I'm sure you (and others) have noticed that when you vent even a little stress, even if only in one specific area, the whole system feels and works better. That's what I've noticed in myself after plugging in here.

I'm glad it's working for you. 🙂

Thanks stink-eye-a it does work I feel a kinship, and I know you understand struggle.

I'm there with you @Leutrelle.... I have suffered my whole life with clinical depression and anxiety, which has gotten much worse as I've reached my 50s. This is indeed a great forum, and I also find it very therapeutic to settle in with a group of far-flung friends. I wish you continued good luck with your daily struggle!

That hits home - thanks

I am glad we are so therapeutic for you.

You really are, and know you have your burdens, but I like your style🙂

@Leutrelle I know what it is to deal with mental health issues, both personally and that is part of what my work is. I work in Short term disability claims. After dealing with those issues I can laugh when someone tells me to go to hell. I've been there more than once.

Glad we can be a sounding board for you. Sometimes that's all it takes. Just having someone to air your thoughts to that can nod back and tell you they get it. And, as others here have mentioned, please stay on whatever meds are prescribed. I've watched my brother ride that roller coaster way too many times. He takes the meds for a while. Feels better for a while. Then decides he either doesn't need the meds or can't afford them and he slides right back down. I've had to stop him from killing himself way too many times. I really hate to see anyone in that much pain. And it's real. A lot of people don't realize that but, I do.

Duke Level 8 Jan 25, 2018

I promise. I have been taking meds for about 25 years, and thought they weren't doing any good, and tapered off, had a major life event, and wow I guess the meds do work🙂

@Leutrelle I AM glad to hear that you're doing well now. And if this forum helps at all, I'm happy to hear that also!

That is awesome! This is a good place to be among friends. You definitely can question life and God and really be taken seriously here. I live in a rural area and agree with you, here is my community.

Ya I live in a little tourist town in the mountains, and we just moved here, so really don't know anybody, most of the houses are vacations homes so half the neighbor is empty. This site really fills the spot🙂

Oh see now wonder I love this site.. I too get depressed sometimes..but come here, read the posts, the links the silly fun questions and feel so much better also yay to @Admin

Thats it exactly it was really noticeable once I thought about it. I love that picture.

@Leutrelle the picture of me and my kids? We took last Dec 24th...they are my lige

I can sympathize a little. Know what helps me when I'm blue? Knowing how special we all are in the grand scheme of the universe. We are a way for the universe to understand itself. How amazing is that??? I can't even fathom how special we are in this regard. So it is an absolute must that we find a way to enjoy this "brief but magnificent opportunity that life provides" - Carl Sagan.

Glad we can help. Keep them spirits up!

Means a lot

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:18335
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.