Agnostic.com

10 7

QUESTION You Should Never, Ever Argue With Anyone on Facebook, According to Science | Inc.com

Like many of you, this place has become my new Facebook. The caliber and quality of participants here are several orders higher than the "I've done my homework" crowd over there. But I've stepped in exploding doo doo here too. It's probably worse here because in my opinion, the people here are so much more articulate and intelligent than over there. Nevertheless, regardless of whether it's over here or over there, it's important to keep this in our minds and ask ourselves, "would you say that to my face?'

ScienceBiker 8 Jan 26

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Over here, over there I've hit the dustry trail and the Casons go marching along....sorry, could not help myself.

Arguing on the internet is like beating a dead horse over and over again. It gets you nowhere.

There are many futile arguments I have stepped back from simply because they are not worth my time and effort, especially online😉

I agree. It’s an exercise in futility..

These is an old saying: "Never argue with a fool in public, because people may not be able to tell which one is which."

Or the other version: If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure your opponent isn't doing the same thing.

I was in exactly that situation several months ago. There was a post about a company soliciting funds to tackle the worst hunger crises in N. Africa since WWII. I disagreed with the premise of simply sending food and said so. I was called names and asked stupid questions (like would I not feed my own children). We had an comment on this site where a member said family planning aid was more important than food aid. I explained my point and people started to take note. Gradually the positive comments outweighed the negative one. Finally, I stated that the name callers have no reason based backing for their comments and revert to name calling. I challenged them to bring it on because it simply proved my point. The name calling did stop.

I like the idea of a video chat when the distance is too great

This is my favourite cartoon on internet debates,have had a few over the years sometime going on for days. I feel bad about it to be honest,its quiet a negative thing to do.Sometimes its best just to walk away...but an unanswered post eats away at your brain lol.

Yeah ... I've gotten into it mildly here, and less mildly on FB (mostly over the orange one, and food choices). Not one to always be silent, sometimes I get sucked in deeper than planned - though it's been a good lesson in picking my battles. And I never attack personally. A respectful debate can actually be fun - but I prefer sticking to areas of learning, and all out silliness.

I've also gotten much better at simply scrolling past potential war zones ! No point in entering the fray ...

Same here evergreen. Especially watching my family fight....and my brother and I. Lessons learned, I hope.

Argue or debate or converse or exchange information or deliberate or have discourse or .. . why can't we communicate our ideas effectively without it degrading into an argument?

Well Hope, I have an opinion on that.....

Yep... that's true. It's hard to get a FU off the screen. Then you got to explain it. Then others pick sides and make comments...as you spiral down the toilet of social media...

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:18438
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.