Agnostic.com

45 4

Do you agree with stem cell research?

I got this question when a friend of mine told me her story with her involvement in some science and debate organizations. She said that this is a good question for a debate prompt, but no bible will be involved due to it being a science event. I liked how it was made part of the condition for it to not be allowed. Any reference to the bible would result to a disqualification. I wanted to replicate said debate here. Do you agree with stem cell research?

CesStuart 5 Sep 22

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

45 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Yes and even the argument that they use aborted babies is no longer viable because they can create stem cells from a person's own cells

Depends on how they are harvested. If they are from aborted clones then no, if they are from the body or some reverse differentiation technique then yeah.

yes

lerlo Level 8 Sep 23, 2018

Yes, I agree that stem cell research is something that should be pursued.

I am in favor of stem cell research.

Stem cell research holds the potential to cure/treat conditions that may not be amenable to other forms of treatment. It should be viewed as a form of gene therapy and genetics research. Stem cells can come from fertilized embryos. The embryo is not a person, and is under the control of the parent(s) that authorized it to be fertilized. So that person or persons can authorize the use of stem cells for research purposes. It might be possible for women to receive treatment to maximize production of eggs, and donate them to be fertilized for use in research.

I don't know exactly how to say this, but only the two people with direct parental ties should get to say whether embryos can be used in stem cell research. NOT "grandparents," not churches, not legislators; only the two people who can be ID'd as parents should get to give or deny permission.

Yes. Absolutely.

Absolutely. And not just because it is one of rays of hope that might someday treat my SCI. I agreed with stem cell research before my accident. It's one of the most promising areas of medical research for many different afflictions. And I find these so called moral objections against it to be uneducated and based in ridiculous prolife dogma.

Yes

Yes

I am not a scientist, however, I use to work for one of the world's leading medical research centers and they were pioneers in stem cell research back in 1995. Because of stem cell research significant contributions have been made in the field of bone marrow transplantation.

Absolutely, I do.

Deb57 Level 8 Sep 22, 2018

Researching disease and cures is great. But we should be doing plenty of research into what actually causes disease and stop doing those things that we can control.

Why would I disagree with any kind of research. The more we learn, the better off we are.

Generally, the people who are most scared of science are the ones who know least about it.

Once a technology has been learned, especially in this modern interconnected world, it's impossible to stop. Just because the US wants to regulate and limit research doesn't mean the rest of the world will follow suit. We're going to get left behind.

The left behind crap makes me the angriest. The orange jerk and his greed-mongers want it. Somehow believe that being separatist is good. Stupid.

agree with? you mean agree with the results? how can you agree or disagree with stem cell research? i think you mean do i approve of it. of course i do.

g

Absolutely, yes.

As I am partially blind due to a rare hereditary ondition, and my best hope to have normal sight is stem cell research, then yes, I do agree with it shodl be done.

NOTE" If you ever do encounter someone who tries to use the bible, innorm that that accordign to the bible, life beigns with the first breath (the breath of life), nto at conception.

The bible. The bible that is NOT a book, but a con-glom of miriad myth writings over MMM's. Not a book. Not even good creation stories. The ones that came before are cooler.

I often use the bible's life begins at first breath definition when debating (pro-life) theotards.

@GoldenMean I agree totally. The biblical creation story doesn't even make sense if you look at it in terms of the sequences of events. I think the primary popularity of hte bible is that it said that god created man in his own image and placed man above the other animals, which appeals to people's ego, and they get to pretend li9ek they are special.

@NoMagicCookie Glad i am not the only one... Only I don't trypically go looking for debates, if the subject comes up,it is a handy fact to have on hand.

Yes! Stem cell research could potentially lead to being able to produce replacement limbs for amputees, new pancreases for patients with type 1 diabetes, new livers for victims of type C hepatitis, new kidneys for people with renal failure, and many other such positive goods. Many people have already been saved from untimely death from leukemia with new bone marrow made from stem cells. Scientists are discovering that stem cells can come from a variety of sources, and they are even making headway in turning differentiated cell back into stem cells.

Yes, and I agree because nobody is losing a life in order for this research to go on. The religiously ill informed will disagree and they are likely to tell you anything.

Yes and no? One, often overlooked aspect of our exponential population growth is people (like me) living longer. Keeping us alive and well takes resources away from others. often younger people. I have lived a great life and still contribute as much as I can. But, still keeping me going (especially after my last accident) is not free. Absolutely everything requires resources of which, on this planet, is limited. In hunting gatherer societies (like the Inuits of the N. Pole) when one person is unable to contribute (usually because of age, they leave the tribe to and wander often to be taken by a predator.
This may seem a strange attitude but recently a friend who was German and once a refugee in the US (who got her PhD) realized she was getting too old and didn't want to deal with constant medications. She went to a favorite hiking area (Lake Chelan in central Wash.) and disappeared. Her car was found unlocked and with her purse inside but numerous search parties could not find her. This is what she wanted and since we have no program of euthanasia in this country some have to resort to other forms of leaving.
I think there should be limits of who can benefit from stem cell research.
As far as the religious aspect I have posted and commented a lot to this. I see these people as saying they can't wait to meet Jesus, but not just yet.

Whoa! I can see making an individual choice, I think that is a basic right, but the attitude that using resources on the elderly is "wasted" I think is misguided. The resources are there, just often distributed unfairly! The "ice floe" concept I find barbaric & unnecessary! I totally disagree with your idea of limiting who benefits, especially that now we get into the slippery slope of eugenics fairly damn quick! Sorry, tho I've found your comments very interesting on other topics, I can't support you here!

apart from the general ugliness of having to make sophie's choice, define elderly. i am 66 and a half. shall i stop taking my metformin for my diabetes because the money medicaid spends on that could be used to save someone younger? how much younger? do you condemn me to death for having been on earth a certain length of time and maybe having acquired some wisdom that can help a bunch of people, maybe someone younger? how about some eugenics while we're at it?

g

I agree with what you are saying.

I'm for true healing but torturous experimentation is cruel. People should definitely have a personal choice toward whatever is done to them post good health. Going away to fast and die, or allowing your family to put you through stuff. Choice.

@phxbillcee It's your choice. But after 25+ years of studying population demographics and environmentalism I place reality over human centered, ideology. Nature has the last word and the way we are heading we will end up like so many other extinct species.

@phxbillcee, @genessa A lengthy article in a recent Atlantic Monthly discussed an optimum life span. The author felt 75 was ideal. After that the average person started having increasing health issues and tending to those needs put a huge burden on society. We do not have a viable health plan and even if we did it is a limited resource. If and when we hit a population like China only the very wealthy would be able to get health service. Again, limited resources usually means those that have also will mean some will not.
Read Jared Diamonds "The World Until Yesterday". Early societies understood the concept of carrying capacity and that sometimes included uncomfortable things like banishment of the elderly and even infanticide.

@JackPedigo they may have understood it in their way. i understand it just perfectly and it is horrific. when you speak of limited resources, do you mean including or excluding golfing trips for the president, tax cuts for the super-rich, the war machine and ceos of businesses that pay their employees minimum wage? before we talk about limited resources, let's reallocate what we have and find out how limited they are or are not. i'd like that before being shuffled off to buffalo, and by the way, if i live to 75 and have some medical problems, and someone things, oh well, she's not having a good time, so kill her, i might just have some objection to that!

g

@JackPedigo Unreal! Malthus & others have proclaimed population doom for years, we're still here! Should we be smarter about population,... surely. But as of now, & for the foreseeable future the resources are there, just unfairly distributed. I'll tell ya' what, I'll get in line right behind you, ok?!? You're 71, seems like you should be ready anytime, old man!

@JackPedigo Also, do you have children? I find that if they carry your genes they might be as callous as you are, so let's take care of them, while we're at it! Your edging to that old 'Final Solution' eugenics outlook anyway, may as well go whole hog! Practice what you preach!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:184523
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.