Agnostic.com

23 2

Opposite beliefs in a relationship

Hello everyone I need opinions on how to deal with opposite beliefs in my relationship. My husband and I have been married for 3 yrs, when we first started dating he was a Christian and I let him know that I was a skeptic/agnostic and he said it wouldn't be a problem. A YR ago he transitioned to a new religion and as his wife I want to be supportive so I try to compromise as much as possible like with holidays and everything but his religion just seems to be getting more and more in the way and I just don't know how to handle it. Any ideas?

Karlee 3 Sep 24

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

23 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

A big issue in relationships, especially in cases where both parties are not willing to compromise, is lack of shared values. The fact that he is so damn stubborn and you go above and beyond for him may begin to wear thin in time, and you will grow to resent him or be bitter against him. Open and honest communication with him is key and some self reflection and introspection on your end if you wish to continue with him as a partner long term. Good luck

I hope you aren't the one doing all the compromising. He needs to be respectful of your beliefs as well. He may need a reminder that he needs to keep an open mind about your position and you two need to work together to find common ground. Good luck!

We all have different levels of tolerance for irrational behavior. If I were in your shoes, I would be greatly saddened by the (significant) other if I am reading (between the lines) correctly, he is now placing his faith (belief without evidence) based religion above his (what should, in my opinion) respect for your emotional well-being. I find his behavior selfish and not respectable. How to deal with? Not a clue. too many variables and outcomes to even make a blind suggestion. I wish you luck.

Thank you, it's good to have people who understand where I'm coming from because he just makes me feel bad for not being interested in his faith when he doesn't even try to understand where I'm coming from

Comunicate what you're feeling or it's bound to get worse

My wife and I are trying to work out the communication issue, too. Only two years ago I was a devout Christian who had married a very religiously and politically similar wife. We didn't need to talk about world-view or ritual differences; we were basically on the same page.

That quickly changed when I realized how poorly grounded supernatural beliefs are. It was a fast shift and because of our life situation (her work was incredibly demanding) I was not able to keep her abreast of my changing ideas. After a while we found a counselor that we both agreed would be a good one to try, and through that began navigating better communication about that and other difficulties.

I would recommend similar. Don't feel like counseling is only for couples that are in a terrible place. Prevention is the best medicine, as they say. For us it was a little like having a music teacher, except the application was with our marriage.

It has also been helpful to try to engage in more activities together which bring out the best in us and are of both of our mutual interests. That has been bringing a lot of joy to us lately.

Is there anything relating to your irreligiousity that he's been supportive of? Being mutually supportive of each other's differences is a good way to show each other personal value.

I try to go above and beyond to be understanding and flexible when it comes to his beliefs because I understand it's a sensitive subject but no he doesn't support how I feel at all he just tries to prove me wrong when we discuss certain topics so I just try to avoid the subject of religion all together and I think he would be to stubborn for counseling unfortunately

@Karlee I am terribly sorry to hear that. It must be horribly frustrating!

I don't know where, or how, but you will need to steer him toward making your marriage work. From a limited knowledge of marriages, the level of tension you are describing very often ends a marriage if a clear resolution can't be found.

I wish you both the best. 🙂

I've usually had relationships end because of religion, and not because I push anything. Me just passively being has been a problem many times. You can try to work through it, but don't crawl over broken glass to not be the problem. If it's a problem for him, then you might have to make choices.

My ex wife cheated on me because we were of "different yokes" and I wasn't part of "god's plan" for her. I have psychologically and emotionally destroyed myself since then, and for a long time thought that was too stupid of a reason; and I still kind do. I now have depression, panic attacks, self esteem issues, and social anxiety. Just know how much you're putting in, that way you aren't questioning every conversion and decision.

I'm not saying it will fail, either. Just keep things in perspective.

I really don't know what to advise. My wife is a Christian and spiritualist, it seems. I'm an anti-theist. She says I should keep an open mind while she watches "Ghost Hunters". I just find all their conversations with "entities" to be explicitly delusional. I may laugh out loud (or involuntarily bark a laugh); then she says I shouldn't belittle other people's beliefs.

We get along somehow, but I have never Pretend to "accommodate" her. I freely mention anti-theist beliefs, but don't repeat myself.

She really loves me, shows that she is concerned about my well-being, and that's enough.

I guess we have well defined individuality, and don't attempt to convert the other. We know and accept the other one's mind.

Do you live completely comfortable in yourself, without being disingenuous?

I know the feeling. While my boyfriend does not attend church, he still observes lent and I think it is completely ridiculous. I get tried of keeping my feeling to myself. Try to focus on what you do have in common and try to ignore the rest.

I'm the wrong person to ask.

I would tell him my beliefs, clearly, just once. Then, after that, do what I always do to religious wing nuts..ignore him completely unless he is speaking on neutral subjects.

If he starts to lecture me, I'd mumble "Um-hum..that's nice," and leave the room. Or leave the house completely.

This quickly trains people to avoid religion.

If he asks me why I don't want to attend a religious event, I'd say, one time, "That's your thing, not mine." then leave the room, and ignore him if he brings it up again.

I tried ignoring it in the beginning by just being quiet and listening when he would talk about this but he let me know that it bothers him that we can't have a conversation about what he's interested In so I try to be compromising or whatever but now we're at a point where we just do our own thing, which is fine except around the holidays I love holidays and he refuses to participate even for our kids

@Karlee I'm talking about not looking at him, and leaving the room every time he brings it up, not just passively doing nothing. But I don't get why you're still with him. Not wise to waste your life with a disrespectful, emotionally abusive man. I wasted 22 years doing that..BAD IDEA.

File for separation, and either find a lawyer or look up on the internet how to do a divorce yourself..for example, I did that, uploaded all the paperwork I needed for free and did my own divorce for about $120 in court fees.

Say, "This isn't working out," and ask him to leave. Or if it's his place, take your stuff and move. If he lives with you and tries to argue, put his stuff on the lawn and change the locks.

Delete him from all social media and block him from your phone. When people ask about him, say it "didn't work out." Then change the subject.

Start attending meet ups and community activities where you might meet an atheist who is kind and respectful of women. Where I lived, near Lexington, KY, most of the upper class men I dated back in the 1990s were nonbelievers.

I am nto optimistic when people don't share the same base beliefs and values, because it is hard to communicate when you have two very different base frames fo reference on which you are coming from.

It appears he needs a sense of community and belonging, which is the only real (positive) thing religion provide people. If it were me, I'd try to steer him to the Unitarians, so he can get those needs fulfilled without a bunch of negative doctrines and dogma. Also, Unitarians usually welcome atheists and agnostics. Not telling you what to do, but rather just throwign an option out there. Only you can tell if it will be useful or nto.

I have tried to steer him in a direction toward meditation and a more open minded stand point about life but he believes all those stories in the bible and believes in all the rules that come along with it he's pretty stuborn when it comes to his religion so it's kinda hard to compromise about certain things

I have been married for 21 years to a woman who is a believer but she is not at all pushy and I try to give her respect not belittling her beliefs. She on the other hand is in no way strongly religious, in fact it's been years since she went to church. I would have to say that if she were demanding it would make it much more difficult to remain in a relationship. I would only advise you to stand your ground and you should not be accommodating without reciprocity. What you believe should be ever much as valuable as what he does but for many religious folk that just isn't possible for them to accept.

gearl Level 8 Sep 24, 2018

If he's still a Christian, some Christian religions tend to put God before you. He still loves you but loves God more. Me, personally, I hate that mindset.

It may seem a little late (being 3 yrs married already), but it's time enough to establish boundaries. I think world religions are kinda fascinating myself, but in a mythological sense ~ so possibly thinking along those lines, support him for his interest in other cultures while setting limitations: "That's a really interesting belief system, honey, but I have no desire to get mired in anyone's religious practices. How 'bout those Lions, sending the Patriots home crying?"
Best of luck to you!

Hoo-boy. My guess is that his behavior is resembling that of a toddler, pushing the limits more & more to see what he can get away with. You need to set limits, and the sooner the better. Tell him what you will & will not tolerate. There is not a single person in the world worth being miserable over, & you should never sacrifice your own mental stability for the sake of a relationship. If it leads to your going your separate ways, so be it. You will survive.

The respect has to go both ways. Ideally, he needs to go about his believing by himself, without expecting you to be dragged along. I hope you can work things out !

We have finally gotten to a point where he accepts and respects my beliefs but as far as things like holidays he won't participate with anything, even with our children and it just bugs me so birthdays, Christmas etc are pretty stressful

@Karlee Sorry to hear that ...

@Karlee Jehova's Witless?.... Get out while you can and get full custody before it is too late....

Get a divorce, and go out with me. That would work. Or just tell him straight, that his religion is not adjusting well with the harmony in your home. But try the divorce advise first ?

Religious metaphors are moving targets in time and meaning. ...you married a believer now being sucked deeper into the cults. ...are you strong enough to stand alone with your "higher power" while keeping alive metaphors for love or dogma ?.....Because you are a woman YOU DECIDE when he is allowed to bring changing faiths into your bed. ...as long as he does not demand your submission into his cult sexually your marriage could continue. ...as for children brainwashing them begins with circumcision and hell threats heaven bribes. ...explosive extreme gate crashing tiny minds. ...if you are good at it, you will keep your man happy and typically fundamentalists only last 5 years losing 10% of family income to the cult. ...he may come back to less extreme religious ways like yours

wel its either a 2 way street or its a problem that will keep growing lack of respect for one and others beliefs will only lead to feelings of hurt anger and dissatisfaction. You need to get some rules in place possibly using a couple counselling service (not one which is in one or the others favour so nothing from his church) is this new religion still christian or is he going down a different path altogether? dependent on how fundamental it is he might not be prepared to make any concessions in which case your problems will just continue to get worse good luck

I wish I could help. I only know that the worst kind of opposite beliefs in marriage are the most intimate.

For instance, I believe the toilet paper should be hung so that the paper rolls off the top. My ex believed it should roll off the bottom. It was irreconcilable differences.

What happened that made him move to this new religion. You say Hebrew Israelite. Is this Black or African Hebrew Israelite? Is it a sect of Judaism?

Religion is the great divider and it looks to me as if you are the one making the effort while he is not... I am sorry to say that unless you can sit down with him and come to an agreement where he respects you for your stance the relationship is better ended soon before more problems set in and DON"T HAVE KIDS BY THIS GUY IT WILL MAKE MATTERS WORSE....

Devil in the details....I just heard a victim of Muslim brutal religion for 544 days ....reading the Quoran forces upon him he learned conjugal visits and family members of prisoners must be allowed visitation for prEyers.....get ahold of whatever this religious nut is reading plus what he transitioned from and find those kind of details that protect your marriage vows NOT PLATITUDES of his new brainwashings

Keep the communication going in the relationship. You might find some more common ground and find an solution. May I ask , what religion was he and and what religion did he go to?

He was Christian when I first met him and he converted to the Hebrew Israelite teaching

@Karlee oh, wow. Defiantly keep lines of communication open. Maybe, someday your belief systems will be the same. I tried different religious sects before I found the enlightened path free from religious bs.

Yeah I've looked into multiple teachings I'm just not into organized faith and rules or whatever. I even tried studying the bible with him but I just can't get with it, they're just a bunch of bs stories to me and I know it bothers him that I feel that way but he knew this before we got married

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:186070
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.