Agnostic.com

93 11

Some people are just born into a lucky life while others aren’t? True or false?

I couldn’t help but notice this. I’ve seen here are some people who just can’t seem to have anything go well in life no matter how hard they try. Yet I’ve seen some people where everything just always falls into place all the time. It just seemed like there was always something messing up in these people’s lives and I just needed to make sure I wasn’t the only one to notice this and wonder if it’s just some people are born into a lucky life while others aren’t?

EmeraldJewel 7 Sep 24

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

93 comments (76 - 93)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

This could get into the debate about free will.

I'd say so...Granted that doesn't mean someone whose had some luck on their side hasn't had some hardship or difficulty...It does seem hard to at times not look at some and think "Wow someone sure does get the dick end of the stick" or vice versa.

The luck factor begins with our birth circumstances and continues until after we die. We can change our track in life by our own actions creating certain "lucky" situations for ourselves. Some barriers to success can be insurmountable. However, we absolutely control our attitude which can determine whether or not we find happiness.

Yes. Warren Buffett (like one of the richest dudes) said it was all luck. Right parents, right education, right interests, right place/time,... ALL LUCK, he said.

False, however id depends on how you define "lucky". I have always said, the harder I work the luckier I become and I believe that to be a true statement from what I have seen. Luck is paranormal, and I do not believe in paranormal activities. Cheers

False. You can be born into bad luck but it's on you whether it gets turned around or not

It's definitely all luck of the draw when it comes to being born in certain families, communities, countries, religions, or socio-economic status.

I think false in most cases.. yes; some people are born rich or with great looks or talent.
But you choose how you see the world. I've seen so many people where it's simply self inflicted. And many times people just complaining and not appreciating the good things that do happen to them.

Luck often enough, will save a man, if his courage hold. - The 13th Warrior
I am reminded of this movie quote, circumstances will some times align to your favour but you have to be ready to grab those opportunities and more importantly you have to be courageous enough to keep going when circumstances align against you.

Very true.

I believe in luck to a certain extent. After that it is up to you as to where it goes from there. I personally believe anyone can turn the negative into a positive and vice versa. Overall, in life I think it is how bad you really want to make your life good.

I think this is half true half false, obviously people born into wealth , or something similar were kinda born on 2 or 3rd base. Big difference from people who had to fight and scrap for basically everything they've ever had. Also the hand that life deals you isnt fair, just like life itself often isnt. Its important to know how to cope with disappointments

false. Luck doesn't have much to do with ones life. I believe your dealt the hand that random chance gives you. For some people there is no way out of ones disadvantages in life. I wish I had a better life, but that is what random chance has dealt me. I'm glad I found this community and enjoying my journey down the path of enlightenment. One of the biggest disadvantages of life is being religious and closed minded.

Since there is no such thing as luck, there can't be a "lucky life." Some people are born into good circumstances and their way is mostly paved for them. Some people are hard-working and take control of their lives, and some are just lazy losers. Others may have more obstacles to overcome than others, but I wouldn't attribute that to luck.

I do believe in luck in that when the randomness of the universe gives you what you want it’s good luck and when it doesn’t is bad... I don’t believe in lucky charms or any ability to control the forced of randomness. That said, I like the quote, “ The harder I work the luckier I get”.

@maturin1919 @ArdentAtheist. Luck refers to random chance being a "force." I believe there is a cause and effect for just about everything and I would never attribute someone's hard work to chance. I think it is possible for someone to chance upon an opportunity (one they somehow became aware of while not seeking it). Whether they benefit from it is dependent upon taking action. I like that quote tho, it implies strongly that we make our own "luck."

@PalacinkyPDX Sorry, I was only giving my opinion on the OP. I didn't realize we were quibbling. I don't disagree with any of the things you said, but the post was about luck. "Privilege," white, wealth, or otherwise, while I think is a factor, it wasn't the focus of the discussion. Good fortune, chance, and serendipity were closer and I was responding to that.

False, reality and perception can differ greatly. You often see the highlight reel of the most successful people, not the entirety of their lives.

I think false. I don't think there is such a thing as a lucky life. We all have things happen to us that are good and bad. The laws of chance would suggest that the distribution of those happenings should not be equal for each individual.

Lucky life encompasses several things...some get one or to the other, others get them all and others just can't get a freaking break. Some can overcome by attitude, others by hard work, but also there are the ones you can't do much about it.....what are those things? Were you born wealthy, handsom or pretty, sexy, fit, healthy, smart...some get them all and die young in a freak accident, would you trade your cards with them? You have everything and out of the blue Cancer takes it all in a heartbeat....too many possibilities. We all know what we have and what we have done or could have done if we had wanted to. Others may say they are happy with what they have done. Which group do you belong to?

True

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:186171
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.