Agnostic.com

93 11

Some people are just born into a lucky life while others aren’t? True or false?

I couldn’t help but notice this. I’ve seen here are some people who just can’t seem to have anything go well in life no matter how hard they try. Yet I’ve seen some people where everything just always falls into place all the time. It just seemed like there was always something messing up in these people’s lives and I just needed to make sure I wasn’t the only one to notice this and wonder if it’s just some people are born into a lucky life while others aren’t?

EmeraldJewel 7 Sep 24

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

93 comments (26 - 50)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

True. One more proof that the universe is chaotic.

Luck has far more influence than most like to acknowledge. Yes, hard work, discipline and the like matter, but luck is paramount. Nearly all of the people reading this are not only alive during the richest and best-fed era in human history, but they also have additional luck to be born in the more developed countries. Or just having good health. Luck matters, a lot.

If anyone compliments me I say it's due to good genes, good luck and good living. Well, like Meat Loaf sings "two out of three aint bad".

On a related note, I can remember being mostly terrified all through my teens and twenties about whether or not I could eventually establish a stable life for myself, and saw most adults around me above those ages as cautionary tales to avoid completely. Others my age seemed to just be going through the motions and resigned to a life similar to everyone else's. I often saw that as an opportunity, as there would be less competition to do what it takes to "make it", as they say.

They took this from a Buddhist fable, but it is apt.

I've always hated the saying, "Turning lemons into lemonade," but I've discovered turning every seemingly unlucky event into opportunity is generally not as hard as it seems at the time, and often the opportunity spawns many more positive dividends than the unlucky event took away.

There are, however, some unlucky things that happen in life that are ironically "the gifts that keep on giving". Illnesses, abuse (all flavors), alcoholism, drug addiction, poverty/ignorance/"lack of education", teen pregnancy, can all cause a ripple effect across generations that very often repeat themselves in children, grandchildren, great grandchildren.

I hope they don't tell people with cancer or lost a loved one that stupid "lemons" saying.

Making the most advantageous decisions, general good health, fiscal responsibility, self preservation is not selfish. Deciding to leave a country due to MS 13 might be a decision. Voting for those that attempt to LEVEL the playing field might be a decision. Vaccinating your babies might be a good decision. Remaining childless by choice might be a good decision. Eating a healthful diet might be a good decision. Learning how to make far reaching decisions, calculate the risk /reward ratio & implementing those lessons is employing successful & proven regimens. Parents are our first teachers. Then school. Then educate yourself by reading, exposure, & being able to postpone reward are keys to success in countries that permit such. Wrong color, wrong gender, wrong belief, wrong class, wrong side of the border, wrong language, wrong marriage, wrong culture, will attempt to inhibit, so please evolve. Change the world for the better by not suppressing MY advancement.

Read Fooled by Randomness by Nassim Nicholas Taleb.

Luck is the one variable in the equation that can make it or break it. People think they have more control over things, and that they have more options and choices than they do. There are people who think they did everything the right way, when in reality, they just lucked out.

"The harder you work, the luckier you get."

@greyeyed123 Not true. I work a very hard job professionally, and I have a side freelance business. So when I come home after working 8 to 10 hours, I have other work to do at home. I work harder than most people my age-most of them don't even work. But I would not say any of that increases "luck". It increases money and some personal satisfaction, but neither of those is luck. Luck is randomness.

@photoelectric Ok. I was just quoting a golfer. I have noticed that sometimes, with some people, in some circumstances, the harder you work, the seemingly luckier you get, as hard work leads to better skills, and better skills get you closer to doing well at whatever it is you are doing, and the randomness within the range of your errors becomes less and less a factor as even the randomness more and more favors your success. Nothing is guaranteed, except failure and bad luck if you don't even try to work hard. That's all I'm saying.

@greyeyed123 Everyone is told to get out there and work hard. Most of us have to. But you hear this from a lot of people, and after awhile, you get what it's about. They want hard working slaves. People go to college, get a job, but very few of them can escape the slavery. Money is a tool. It buys you things you need. Housing, food, medicine, etc. Some fun things, too. If work is NOT an option, it's economic slavery. It's idealistic to think if you work hard, somehow, everything gets better. If you can't make enough to escape, you'll shackled.

@photoelectric Much of what you say is true. Hard work need not necessarily refer only to present monetary gain, though. One can work hard for political change, for personal growth, for psychological well being, for artistic achievement, for the health and well being of loved ones, or maybe just for being present in the current moment. Likewise, luck doesn't necessarily reflect only money either. One can be lucky in friends and family, lucky in talents, lucky with a spouse, lucky in circumstances.

Working hard in many circumstances may be hopeless or futile. The answer, then, is to work hard in different ways to change those circumstances not just for yourself, but for those in similar circumstances--or for those who are in circumstances you used to be in. That is literally your only choice to make things better.

I may be prone to idealism--especially lately, since a lifetime of hard work and taking advantage of every lucky (and rare) opportunity that presented itself has finally paid off in spades. There have been dozens of times in my life where, in the face of hopelessness and futility, I worked harder than anyone I could possibly imagine, and came through better on the other side.

If I had seen such hope and grit as pointless slavery that would only lead to more drudgery and death, many of my loved ones would be dead, my knowledge base would be a tiny fraction of what it is today, and my now indefinite financial security would still be insecure.

@greyeyed1 I am not refering to "activism" anything like that. I am referring to working to get by. Most people who work do not do it for a hobby, or because they like it. They do it, because they have to. There seems to be a current philosophy that no one really needs to work and people do it to be "fulfilled" in some way. When you commute well over an hour to work, put up with unreasonable bosses, come home very tired, have little free time, etc....Working hard has nothing to do with idealism. I don't know of anyone who has a job these days who doesn't have to work hard. The place would just get rid of them and replace them, so it's really not even an option. It has nothing to do with idealism. If you worked hard to better your situation, that's more about motivation and having a goal, than idealism. And no, if you had to be an economic slave, you wouldn't be sitting there saying you wouldn't do that. It's obvious if people had other BETTER choices, they'd choose them! As far as your financial "insecurity"...I hear people complain about not having enough , but working doesn't seem to be something they'd consider doing. Baffling...

It is totally true.

we're born into our situations good or bad and then we can do the best we can with the cards we were dealt -or not

Very much so i am snake bitten anytime things look like they will go my way it always comes crashing down in a brilliant blaze. So yes i definately believe that

true
easy to find examples between a starving kid on a dictatorial poor state that will never know about reading and a kid born in family so rich that it is impossible to fail.

Life sucks, then you die!

I think you can be born into more or less opportune circumstances. What you do with it from there is your choice, but the circumstances will continue to weigh in throughout your life via your family and friend connections.

A person born in a slum to abusive or negligent patents could be said to have been unlucky compared to someone born in a prosperous neighborhood to loving and competent parents. Yet the "lucky" one might become a dissipated drug addict while the other might pull him/herself up by his/her bootstraps and become a great success story. So which was the lucky one?

Yes some have more advantages then others but you still steer your own course.
Try to avoid landmines and chuckholes life throws at you.

True. But there will be some good days for the people who think they are unlucky, for sure

Well, it's not simple thing, as some are born into fortunate circumstances and screw it up, while others are born into difficult circumstances and make good. I do think some people just land in jam their whole lives and it's not all due to hard work and initiative. Others have terrible things thrown at them and it's not their fault. What I do believe is that it's a crap shoot of a reality and there is no loving God behind it all.

I don't think your life is predestined, but some people do have a way of falling into good or bad luck, call it destiny or just blind good luck or bad there are some people who seem to step into it all the time.

true some can fall into a pile of shit and get a commercial from it or an contract for a new perfume. Then others break their backs bend over backwards and get shit on!

Luck plays a role in a lot more things than we would like to admit.

Partly true. Sometimes a person is simply at the right place at the right time. But, it is what we did before that put us there at that time, and our will and ability to take advantage of the opportunity.

Yup, it's pure chance as to which life we are born into.

Of course no one can determine if one had a lucky life until one is dead.

However, some people appear to be very lucky, to live a charmed life.

You can flip a coin and the chances of it coming up heads or tails is 50/50, but there is nothing stopping a fair coin from coming up heads (or tails) 90/100 times. Nature has no preference, Aristotle thought (Eudemian Ethics) that some people live a life very much like the fair coin that comes up heads 90/100 times.

cava Level 7 Sep 24, 2018

Very true.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:186171
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.