Agnostic.com

10 1

Is the universe God?

Could it be possible that the universe and everything in it - you, me, everyone and everything you know and don't know - is god? If you think about how the subatomic particles are a mystery to us, yet we influence them in intentional and dramatic ways that we can't even understand, maybe that is how we are to god, inside of his being, and ultimately totally controlled by him, but not with some overall plan or intention or thought about us, just as a consequence of existing inside of him.

#god
algaefromspace 3 Sep 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

You would need to clarify and define what a god is before I coukld even begin to speculate on that.

It certainly doesn't match any definition I have heard from the Abrahamic, Greek, Roman or Hindu gods.

I would also have to ask how you determined that this god has a gender. The implication that there is a he god implies that there must also be a she god.

If this god does not interact with us in any discernable way, then it is no different than a god that does not exist.

As I see it ... no "him", and no god.

If everything in the universe is matter and all matter is made of similar stuff . That stuff has, is and will continue to evolve. Man has evolved from a specific structuring of matter over time. With the evolution of man the universe became aware of itself, since man is part of the universe.

If so then consciousness itself is an emergent property of matter then we cannot reasonably limit this emergent property to man. The evolution of the universe is coincidental with the evolution of consciousness. If so then perhaps god, not in the sense of deity, but rather in the sense of matter's potential to realize itself, is the teleological goal of the evolution of the universe.

cava Level 7 Sep 26, 2018

Thank you, this is very much what I was getting at here.

There's no god because WE are god.

Physics indicates that we are participating in creating our own universes/reality.

“Consciousness is fundamental, and matter is derived from consciousness." – Max Planck, theoretical physicist who originated quantum theory, 1918 Nobel Prize in Physics

Quote:

“A fundamental conclusion of the new physics also acknowledges that the observer creates the reality. As observers, we are personally involved with the creation of our own reality. Physicists are being forced to admit that the universe is a “mental” construction.

Pioneering physicist Sir James Jeans wrote: “The stream of knowledge is heading toward a non-mechanical reality; the universe begins to look more like a great thought than like a great machine. Mind no longer appears to be an accidental intruder into the realm of matter, we ought rather hail it as the creator and governor of the realm of matter.

Get over it, and accept the inarguable conclusion. The universe is immaterial-mental and spiritual.” – R.C. Henry, Professor of Physics and Astronomy at Johns Hopkins University , “The Mental Universe” ; Nature

No ...without any evidence nothing can be ascribed to a god or gods. Man invented god it is a figment of human imagination. We are still trying to find the answers to these questions about the universe but calling it god would be illogical without evidence.

The theistic view is that god is outside of the universe. Which is very convenient but has no explanatory power. You propose that "god " is a part of the universe. So is god a quark? neutrino? This appears to be another "god of the gaps " fallacy. There is enough wonder and mystery in the universe as it is. No need to add a non existent deity.

it is if you believe it is

no. the universe is the universe, which exists. god is a fictional character who does not exist. they're not that easy to confuse with one another.

g

Why call the universe God? We already have a word for the universe: universe.

Dietl Level 7 Sep 26, 2018

What role does gender play in pantheism? If there is a force with intention behind, and a part of, all that exists, why refer to it as male? Such a force would seem unlikely to be equipped with male genitalia.

Very valid point, force of habit.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:187293
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.