Agnostic.com

17 9

Greetings and salutations to all out there. I just joined up and am learning how to interact with this site. I'm an ex Midwesterner living in the Deep South, a heavily religious area so I don't meet many like myself here.

I'm especially interested in the science of why we don't believe in science.

sgherf 5 Jan 27

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

17 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Welcome! I hope you enjoy the site. I can certainly understand how you feel being surrounded by religion. As a northerner and a science educator now living in the bible belt, I cringe whenever someone spews religion at me. This site will help you deal with the blind believers we face every day. Again, welcome!

Welcome, I'm in the south too but I've been here most of my life.

The Bible Belt is not only "Baptist country". There is still a (growing) population that is not Christian or Muslim. But I understand, it is not so easy to find people that are non-religious in the way you are too.

Gert Level 7 Jan 27, 2018

@sgherf welcome! I'm in the midwest again (and, I trust, permanently) after starting in Detroit and then living in a handful of other places. Blacksburg VA was the furthest south I got and when I got out of there I swore I'd never go south again. What took you to the "deep south"?

Welcome! I started life in the Midwest, then went everywhere from overseas to Pacific Northwest, to deep south, to East Coast, and I ended up within 60 miles of where I was born. Go figure.

I wouldn't call Idaho a Bible belt, but there is plenty of religion. You will find good folk here🙂

You live in a bible frying pan. 🙂 I used to live in Post Falls and Cd'A. Still have some family in Boise. And Moscow - actually Viola. Oh! And I guess Hayden. And Rathdrum. And a best friend in Post Falls. Never mind... lol! 🙂

You may be right, I may be crazy, maybe it's lunatic your looking for😉

Welcome! We have many lively conversations here, I'm sure you'll find (or make) one on your particular one.

I believe Bay St Louis, has many very liberal people. Since the storm, I don't know how many. Welcome and I hope that you find something to hold your interest, here.

Huh?? You serious?

@BlueWave yes, but I don't know much about new comers...though!

I agree, BSL does have a progressive community, partly due to a number of scientists working at the nearby Stennis space center.

Welcome from a Tarheel who ended up in an even harder-core part of the Bible Belt--Kentucky. I feel your pain.

I'm of the opposite tract in a sense. I was born in the south and have many virulently loquacious evangelical relatives still there. The area where I live now in the midwest is similar to there, just not as openly friendly. There are some of us everywhere, but not all are easy to spot. The science of why people don't believe in science? Damned good question.

Welcome

No one believes in science. I know you used the word as commonly understood. You used the word meaning "accept", theist use the word meaning "presume" as in "I presume gos exist" or "believe in god." So when we say we believe in science, they assume it means we presume, that science is true rather than we accept that science is true.

Forgive me for my rant.You live in the Bible belt so I thought I'd give an example of how your thinking is different than theirs. Anyway welcome!!

You are correct on language. I think I got that phrase from an article, perhaps in Mother Jones magazine. I agree you may accept or not the evidence.

Welcome friend. But, who doesn't believe in science that you're talking about?

Welcome to the realm of the realistic. I spent some time in South Carolina back in the mid 1980's they were always boasting about reclaiming slavery rights and holy rolling back then sure not much has changed.

Welcome! I hope your experience here will be as positive as mine. 🙂

Welcome! I'm in the same boat!!! This is the place to be.

Welcome, and when you learn how to interact with this site would you let me know how?

@Rudy1962...I see that you are at level #6, they must have skipped you up several grades, since you don't have the hang of how this site works yet! Please, explain yourself!

@Freedompath I paid the administrators off

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:18752
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.